Rival GAA fans clash following night out

Started by red hander, March 04, 2009, 12:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red hander

From today's Irish News

A brawl between hundreds of Armagh and Tyrone GAA fans has been described as "unsporting" and "unnecessary".

Four people were arrested for disorderly behaviour and resisting police after the rival fans, numbering up to 250 at one point, were involved in a skirmish in the Scotch Street area of the town around 1am on Sunday.

Police said it followed a disagreement between Armagh and Tyrone GAA supporters.

It is understood the fans had arrived by bus for a night out in the Co Tyrone town.

Inspector Stephen Moneypenny from Dungannon station said the atmosphere had become "quite hostile and aggressive" between the groups.

Sinn Fein councillor Larry McLarnon condemned the brawl describing it as "unsporting" and "unnecessary".

"This sort of behaviour reflects very badly on the sport.  It's the sort of thing that brings the GAA into disrepute," he said.

There was no match on the Saturday night before and a spokesman for Tyrone GAA said they could not account for everyone who follows the team on a night out not associated with a match.

thejuice

Sad day for the GAA for this to happen. I wonder just how related it is to the GAA, or was it more a case of 'out-of-town' folk and locals getting in rows after too much booze. Hopefully we dont see any of this behavior at games in the future. don't need this nonsense going on.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Zapatista

Doogie Browser

Spurious link at best, the GAA as an organisation and Armagh & Tyrone County boards in particular cannot be held responsible for everyone who call themselves 'GAA fans'.  Idiots are idiots no matter what sport they follow.

Donagh

Quote from: Zapatista on March 04, 2009, 01:01:34 PM
I find this very hard to believe.

As do I. Who would go to Dungannon for a night out?

Canalman

Not really sure this can be described as a "GAA fans clash". Where is the GAA connection??????

Anyway, this would be a 4 pager by now if a non northern pair of countiies "were involved". Elephant in Parlour syndrome .

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

red hander

Quote from: Donagh on March 04, 2009, 01:04:14 PM
Quote from: Zapatista on March 04, 2009, 01:01:34 PM
I find this very hard to believe.

As do I. Who would go to Dungannon for a night out?

:D :D :D :D

You come to Dungannon any night and we'll show you a great time.  I find the 'GAA' link in this very spurious...

tyrone86

I don't get any GAA connection myself.

I'm sure if the reporter or the peelers had been so inclined the headline "Irish Rugby fans brawl amongst themselves" could have been used. It wouldn't be any more or less difficult to disprove than the above.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Out of towners clash with locals, and because they each happen to be supporters of their respective GAA teams, it becomes GAA mass brawl thang. Bullsh*t.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

orangeman

Celt_Man

Absolutely ridiculous.... two groups of people fighting who also happen to support GAA, I'd say it's a safe bet they are soccer fans as well maybe even rugby too so does not mean that it should be rugby fans clash or soccer fans clash (not that that ever happened before!!)
In the interest of fairness the journalist in question should have polled the boyos involved and listed all their sports and interests lest some sport was left out....
Imagine if two boys on the opposing sides like chess....
Chess fans clash!!!  :D

The country is going down the toilet and this is what passes for news.... jaysus
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Orior

Even if it was a bus load of players from Harps, or Keady or Silverbridge, then its still a stretch to label it as GAA violence
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Maguire01

Were they wearing GAA tops? That's the only way i could see any link being made. The SF rep has obviously made some link, judging by his comment.

Final Whistle

Quote from: red hander on March 04, 2009, 12:50:34 PM
From today's Irish News

A brawl between hundreds of Armagh and Tyrone GAA fans has been described as "unsporting" and "unnecessary".

Four people were arrested for disorderly behaviour and resisting police after the rival fans, numbering up to 250 at one point, were involved in a skirmish in the Scotch Street area of the town around 1am on Sunday.

Police said it followed a disagreement between Armagh and Tyrone GAA supporters.

It is understood the fans had arrived by bus for a night out in the Co Tyrone town.

Inspector Stephen Moneypenny from Dungannon station said the atmosphere had become "quite hostile and aggressive" between the groups.

Sinn Fein councillor Larry McLarnon condemned the brawl describing it as "unsporting" and "unnecessary".

"This sort of behaviour reflects very badly on the sport.  It's the sort of thing that brings the GAA into disrepute," he said.

There was no match on the Saturday night before and a spokesman for Tyrone GAA said they could not account for everyone who follows the team on a night out not associated with a match.

That c*nt gave me my first and only three penalty points!!!