Hurley / Hurl / Hurling stick / stick

Started by Eamonnca1, September 29, 2010, 12:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

On my youtube movie in the last few days I've had at least three idiots commenting claiming "it's not called a stick, it's called a hurl" or "it's called a hurley, calling it a stick in Ireland would get you a slap around the mouth."

In the south some people call it a hurl and never a hurley, in the north most people call it a stick, sometimes a hurley, and never a hurl. We always just called it a stick, or the fuller title of 'hurling stick'. I never heard it called a 'hurl' until we had a visitor from Galway in our house one evening. 

What the hell is it with people?  Are people really so parochial that they've never been outside of their own province? Or am I just getting wound up about young fellas who have learned to use the internet before having travelled anywhere?

Sheesh!  ::)

seafoid

Youtube comments stand as a line in the sand to anyone who believes in human progress.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

gallsman

johnneycool

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnneycool on September 29, 2010, 02:31:36 PM
Quote from: gallsman on September 29, 2010, 02:13:24 PM
I'd use all four interchangeably.

As well as 'bat' for the Frankies.
Hurley bat.

You wouldn't hear much reference to a "hurley" round the Glens. Hurl, stick or hurling stick mostly.

Bacon

Used to be hurley stick, hurley match and hurley pitch when I was growin up in Down. Don't any of that so much now.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

The Real Laoislad

Its often called the kn**ker basher where I'm from.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: seafoid on September 29, 2010, 01:35:33 PM
Youtube comments stand as a line in the sand to anyone who believes in human progress.
Excellent!

Hurler on the Bitch

I think that 'hurley bats' was confined to people being interviewed after getting a "punishment" beating - "Like, I mean, I was only going to the shap for a loaf for ma ma and they dragged me into a car and then bate me with hurlet bats." Followed by "Our Sean-Paul, he's a bit lively I know, but he's a heart of gold." There is a good old saying around the Killing Fields of Kilmallock, County Limerick, which goes "give 'em a taste of the Schticck" - I think it means, in nice terms, get into them!

Asal Mor

Quote from: seafoid on September 29, 2010, 01:35:33 PM

:D Genius seafoid. Proud to be from the same county as ya.

EagleLord

Well done seaford haha! I would call it a stick, but would have no problem with any other of those names being used, exept bat. Hate that. Non-hurling-liking friend of mine called it a hurley bat once, so i broke it across his back, true story.

King Henry

Its called a hurl where I come from...and we should know  8)
I'll think of Molly while sun and moon shine
On the banks of the Suir that flows down by Mooncoin

Tony Baloney

The BBC call it a hurley stick in reporting that a man was beat to death with one during a road rage incident in Dublin.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 02, 2010, 12:15:57 AM
The BBC call it a hurley stick in reporting that a man was beat to death with one during a road rage incident in Dublin.
I have heard them all used- except bat. Using bat was like a mortal sin for us. Stick would be the most common in NW Ireland

theskull1

How do you say fair fcuks to ye in irish?

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera