Medical Status of Boardmembers

Started by Ball Hopper, December 19, 2019, 03:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

balladmaker

Good luck for second session on the 7th BH .... look forward to your next update.

Ball Hopper

Chemo session 2 of 8 was today (Tues 7 Jan) and all went well.  Blood numbers before the test showed white blood cells 3.7 (down from 7.5 before chemo 1), normal is 3.5 to 10.  They will get concerned if I go below 2.0 (they want to keep some white cells to fight infection), but are pleased to see the chemo is working - what the units are don't really matter, or make sense to me, just the number.  All I need the "danger" number, which I must be above or the chemo session is postponed. 

My weight was also 10 pounds (4.5kg) lighter today than 18 Dec...first time ever to lose weight over Christmas and New Years...still 10 pounds too high so I need to lose less between sessions to stay at my "fighting weight".  That might be a battle on a protein and leafy green veg diet with zero sugar allowed.

No other problems today, slept for about an hour and a half after the benadryl dose.  In at 9am, home by just after 2pm...5 hours.

Zero sugar diet for the rest of the week and they tell me fatigue will hit toward the weekend and last a bit longer than last time.  Glucose check twice a day watching it rise from today's drugs and hopefully back to normal by Friday.

Pleased with the way things today.

*Update on chemo 1...sensitive to cold things - metal even inside the house!!! *Plus glucose spike.

First side effects showed up on Sat 21 Dec with some fatigue that lasted about 3 days...on only one day did I take an afternoon nap, so it wasn't that bad – early to bed and later getting up each morning was enough.  I was also sensitive to cold (side effect of oxaliplatin) in a very odd way.  I had numbness of fingers and hand that touched anything cold that lasted up to 30 minutes after contact.  Don't touch anything cold, you say – but cold metal is more prevalent than you think...fair enough to say don't handle anything in the fridge, but numbness was also caused by touching items for even the shortest times...things like the flush handle on the toilet, the faucets in the kitchen and bathroom, the door of the fridge, door knobs and the mailbox to name a few.  Solution was wearing gloves all day (Santa Claus was all over this and brought me a pair of warm gloves with special fingertips that allow use of an iPad or iPhone!).  Never really got back to 100% normal, so gloves all day every day for me.   Three cheers for Santa Claus for a solution that doesn't impact me a lot.

So fatigue and cold sensitivity side effects, which were really minimal and more or less gone (or I avoided all cold things) by Christmas Day, allowed me to enjoy the festive season.  However, one side effect was not seen until 27 Dec – my glucose levels went sky high.  A combination of me trying to be as healthy as I can by putting on a few pounds/kilos knowing the chemo will take its toll in that arena, plus a side effect of decadron (a steroid given pre-chemo to primarily prevent nausea).  It took about a week to get the glucose levels down to normal, plus I got good advice on having a sugar-free diet for about a week after each chemo session – plenty of chicken, white fish, pork and leafy green vegetables for dinner with no sauces, potatoes, pasta or carbs in general.  Original porridge is also sugar free (and pretty much taste free as well) so that will do for breakfast, so no more big, hearty breakfasts for a while.

On the plus side, drinking two pints of warm to hot water first thing every morning and a few more throughout the day has been a very pleasant and beneficial surprise. I'm avoiding crowds to prevent any infections/colds or whatever, so no shopping or using public transport.

All in all, session 1 went well for me...I've learned some "coping mechanisms" that can be used to anticipate and hopefully lessen the side effects as I go forward.

Thanks for all the support and good wishes.  I plan to update again on Sunday 12th.

Taylor

Well done BH - great attitude.

Best of luck with future sessions

quit yo jibbajabba

Very informative also BH and again all the best with it all

Franko

Quote from: Ball Hopper on January 08, 2020, 01:37:58 AM
Chemo session 2 of 8 was today (Tues 7 Jan) and all went well.  Blood numbers before the test showed white blood cells 3.7 (down from 7.5 before chemo 1), normal is 3.5 to 10.  They will get concerned if I go below 2.0 (they want to keep some white cells to fight infection), but are pleased to see the chemo is working - what the units are don't really matter, or make sense to me, just the number.  All I need the "danger" number, which I must be above or the chemo session is postponed. 

My weight was also 10 pounds (4.5kg) lighter today than 18 Dec...first time ever to lose weight over Christmas and New Years...still 10 pounds too high so I need to lose less between sessions to stay at my "fighting weight".  That might be a battle on a protein and leafy green veg diet with zero sugar allowed.

No other problems today, slept for about an hour and a half after the benadryl dose.  In at 9am, home by just after 2pm...5 hours.

Zero sugar diet for the rest of the week and they tell me fatigue will hit toward the weekend and last a bit longer than last time.  Glucose check twice a day watching it rise from today's drugs and hopefully back to normal by Friday.

*Update on chemo 1...sensitive to cold things - metal even inside the house!!! *Plus glucose spike.

First side effects showed up on Sat 21 Dec with some fatigue that lasted about 3 days...on only one day did I take an afternoon nap, so it wasn't that bad – early to bed and later getting up each morning was enough.  I was also sensitive to cold (side effect of oxaliplatin) in a very odd way.  I had numbness of fingers and hand that touched anything cold that lasted up to 30 minutes after contact.  Don't touch anything cold, you say – but cold metal is more prevalent than you think...fair enough to say don't handle anything in the fridge, but numbness was also caused by touching items for even the shortest times...things like the flush handle on the toilet, the faucets in the kitchen and bathroom, the door of the fridge, door knobs and the mailbox to name a few.  Solution was wearing gloves all day (Santa Claus was all over this and brought me a pair of warm gloves with special fingertips that allow use of an iPad or iPhone!).  Never really got back to 100% normal, so gloves all day every day for me.   Three cheers for Santa Claus for a solution that doesn't impact me a lot.

So fatigue and cold sensitivity side effects, which were really minimal and more or less gone (or I avoided all cold things) by Christmas Day, allowed me to enjoy the festive season.  However, one side effect was not seen until 27 Dec – my glucose levels went sky high.  A combination of me trying to be as healthy as I can by putting on a few pounds/kilos knowing the chemo will take its toll in that arena, plus a side effect of decadron (a steroid given pre-chemo to primarily prevent nausea).  It took about a week to get the glucose levels down to normal, plus I got good advice on having a sugar-free diet for about a week after each chemo session – plenty of chicken, white fish, pork and leafy green vegetables for dinner with no sauces, potatoes, pasta or carbs in general.  Original porridge is also sugar free (and pretty much taste free as well) so that will do for breakfast, so no more big, hearty breakfasts for a while.

On the plus side, drinking two pints of warm to hot water first thing every morning and a few more throughout the day has been a very pleasant and beneficial surprise. I'm avoiding crowds to prevent any infections/colds or whatever, so no shopping or using public transport.

All in all, session 1 went well for me...I've learned some "coping mechanisms" that can be used to anticipate and hopefully lessen the side effects as I go forward.

Thanks for all the support and good wishes.  I plan to update again on Sunday 12th.

What an amazing insight this is.  And the fact that you can deliver this whilst going through it makes it all the more incredible.

Tip of the hat to you sir - and good luck.

general_lee

Best of luck ball hopper. Your positive attitude is inspiring, keep it up!

laoislad

Not sure why I'm only after seeing this thread now.
Fair play to you for posting this Ball Hopper.
The best of luck to you and your family in the weeks and months ahead.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Dire Ear

Good man Mr Hopper,  all the best on your journey

magpie seanie

meatsy86

Fair play Ball Hopper, your posts have created an unbelieveable insight for someone who has thus far thankfully not had to go through something of this nature. Keep it up and all the best with the rest of your treatment.

BennyCake

Thanks for sharing BH.

You seem to have a good positive attitude, which can only help getting through it all. I'm sure it can't be easy for you and the family at times. Best of luck with everything.

joemamas

Quote from: Franko on January 08, 2020, 09:20:20 AM
Quote from: Ball Hopper on January 08, 2020, 01:37:58 AM

What an amazing insight this is.  And the fact that you can deliver this whilst going through it makes it all the more incredible.

Tip of the hat to you sir - and good luck.

+1

This is exactly what I thought upon reading.
Stay positive, God Bless.

Tony Baloney

macdanger2

illdecide

You're a brave man BH, fair play to ya. Keep positive and the end result will be good
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch