Galway vs Dublin - All Ireland Semi Final - 11/8/2018

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 06, 2018, 02:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fhairche Abu

The team are definitely going to go into the match with the right attitude, that's all that matters.

yellowcard

People are reading too much into the Galway performance against Monaghan where it was obvious that their players were not playing with the necessary intensity or aggression associated with a knock out fixture. It may have been sub conscious but it definitely existed.

These 2 sides have been the best 2 in the country all season long and the gap is not that big. Dublin are built up into this monster but the reality is that a lot of their better players are in decline or no longer available. Some day they will get beat. I'm not sure Galway will actually beat them but neither do I believe this talk about a potential hammering for Galway. I just don't see that happening and I don't think there will be an awful lot separating them after 70 minutes.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

They nearly got caught by a 14 man Kildare team running on fumes too. Not great form.

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 06, 2018, 10:18:16 PM
Don't go in with the '' There's nothing to lose attitude''. First of all there is a game to lose. Secondly there is a potential hammering. Thirdly there's a AI final place. Fourthly there's beating Dublin. After that is dream world. These chances don't come around often! There is something to lose if you have got this far.
It is a process potentially over a few years for Galway. Like Mayo in 2011. The Dubs are hardly going to win 7 in a row. Galway need to perform well to line up next year.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

larryin89

Quote from: seafoid on August 07, 2018, 05:59:13 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 06, 2018, 10:18:16 PM
Don't go in with the '' There's nothing to lose attitude''. First of all there is a game to lose. Secondly there is a potential hammering. Thirdly there's a AI final place. Fourthly there's beating Dublin. After that is dream world. These chances don't come around often! There is something to lose if you have got this far.
It is a process potentially over a few years for Galway. Like Mayo in 2011. The Dubs are hardly going to win 7 in a row. Galway need to perform well to line up next year.

Hope you're right about Dublin not winning seven in a row but if they do where does this end , at what stage is dominance considered beyond ridiculous?

To the game itself  up to last Sunday I thought Galway were in with a great shout , now we can't be sure at all. Comer will have to step up here.

In general to me it seems Dublin not as good as last year but is there any team as equipped as Mayo have been the past couple of years to give them a right battle , it remains to be seen. Dublin the lowest odds ever in history at the start of championship are now 1/6 to beat who most people see as their biggest threat .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Blowitupref

Quote from: yellowcard on August 06, 2018, 11:13:20 PM
People are reading too much into the Galway performance against Monaghan where it was obvious that their players were not playing with the necessary intensity or aggression associated with a knock out fixture. It may have been sub conscious but it definitely existed.

These 2 sides have been the best 2 in the country all season long and the gap is not that big. Dublin are built up into this monster but the reality is that a lot of their better players are in decline or no longer available. Some day they will get beat. I'm not sure Galway will actually beat them but neither do I believe this talk about a potential hammering for Galway. I just don't see that happening and I don't think there will be an awful lot separating them after 70 minutes.

Care to give names?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

yellowcard

Quote from: Blowitupref on August 07, 2018, 09:08:08 AM

Care to give names?

Flynn, Brogan, Connolly who were arguably 3 of their best players on the team that made the initial breakthrough. Then you have players like O'Callaghan and Mannion who have played an awful lot of football/hurling in the last 2 years and who look weary. They might still be good enough to beat the rest but they are now more functional and conservative than at any under time under Jim Gavin.

Blowitupref

Quote from: yellowcard on August 07, 2018, 09:48:57 AM
Quote from: Blowitupref on August 07, 2018, 09:08:08 AM

Care to give names?

Flynn, Brogan, Connolly who were arguably 3 of their best players on the team that made the initial breakthrough. Then you have players like O'Callaghan and Mannion who have played an awful lot of football/hurling in the last 2 years and who look weary. They might still be good enough to beat the rest but they are now more functional and conservative than at any under time under Jim Gavin.

They have moved on from their initial breakthrough though and evolved thanks to their AI U21 success and the seamless transition of players such as Fenton,Howard. A lot of their better players now are McMahon,O Sullivan,Cooper,McCarthy and all are probably at the peak of their powers and Dublin have more scoring forward options right now than arguably ever before. They could be conservative again on Saturday which should mean Galway shouldn't get hammered but i suppose we'll wait and see.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

galwayman

Quote from: hardstation on August 07, 2018, 10:02:46 AM
Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on August 07, 2018, 01:36:20 AM
They nearly got caught by a 14 man Kildare team running on fumes too. Not great form.
They weren't great against a Roscommon team that other teams hockeyed.
They weren't great against Kerry but they won so they were great.

They'll need to be greatly exceeding anything they've produced in the championship this year to get near Dublin.
I would agree with that.

seafoid

3 goals at delicate Junctures would beat the Dubz.

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: seafoid on August 07, 2018, 11:15:59 AM
Galway's current scoring return on goals (ignore the Sligo match) in the championship this year suggests that is highly unlikely but provided we could restrict Dublin to points only then 3 goals would certainly go a long way towards getting a result. Hard to see it really after Saturday night but sure we live in hope!!!
In some quarters the knives are really being sharpened in preparation for the expected hammering by Dublin of this Galway team, but any rational Galway supporter shouldn't be doing likewise.

Aidan O'Rourke's analysis of the lacklustre Galway performance last Saturday night that saw Monaghan go to town on the scoreboard is a balanced criticism of Galway in that it points out the team's current limitations while accepting that Galway have had a good year to date in terms of trying to make the progression from a perennial Division Two outfit into one that is trying to get back to the business end of things. Hard to argue against this kind of proper, measured analysis:
Galway's flaws exposed - and there's no quick fix
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0806/983414-galways-flaws-exposed-and-theres-no-quick-fix/

seafoid

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on August 07, 2018, 11:53:33 AM
Galway's current scoring return on goals (ignore the Sligo match) in the championship this year suggests that is highly unlikely but provided we could restrict Dublin to points only then 3 goals would certainly go a long way towards getting a result. Hard to see it really after Saturday night but sure we live in hope!!!
In some quarters the knives are really being sharpened in preparation for the expected hammering by Dublin of this Galway team, but any rational Galway supporter shouldn't be doing likewise.

Aidan O'Rourke's analysis of the lacklustre Galway performance last Saturday night that saw Monaghan go to town on the scoreboard is a balanced criticism of Galway in that it points out the team's current limitations while accepting that Galway have had a good year to date in terms of trying to make the progression from a perennial Division Two outfit into one that is trying to get back to the business end of things. Hard to argue against this kind of proper, measured analysis:
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0806/983414-galways-flaws-exposed-and-theres-no-quick-fix/
At the start of the year everyone would have taken League final and all Ireland semi plus beating Kerry in CP. If they aren't at Dublin's level the next day , so what? Nobody else is either. The big prize is when Dublin lose the plot as all great teams do. Who will be standing then?

galwayman

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on August 07, 2018, 11:53:33 AM

Looking forward to Saturday now. Has there been any word on Eoin Kerin's injury? If it is indeed a hamstring tweak he ain't going to be playing any game on Saturday.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: galwayman on August 07, 2018, 12:22:42 PM
Looking forward to Saturday now. Has there been any word on Eoin Kerin's injury? If it is indeed a hamstring tweak he ain't going to be playing any game on Saturday.
No new injuries from Saturday is the story at the minute anyway.