All Ireland Football Final 2017 Mayo V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, August 27, 2017, 07:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 29, 2017, 10:40:41 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on August 29, 2017, 10:33:14 PM
Quote from: Hound on August 29, 2017, 01:01:47 PM
Form in semi-final is completely irrelevant when predicting what's going to happen in a final.

Only thing of relevance is last year's All Ireland finals, and that being 12 months ago makes it very hard to compare. Andy Moran is clearly playing better than last year, as is Aidan O'Shea. Doherty now a legitimate threat and Loftus looks like he could do what Costello did last year. Boyle is super, and nobody can doubt the class of Harrison and Barrett at the back. Vaughan (who I would say pretty much has always been poor v the Dubs) is having his best year ever. Keegan not at the same level as last year, but illness accounts for that. COC not playing as well as last year, but I'm sure Mayo lads are confident he'll play well.

Overall I would say I expect Mayo to be slightly better this year than last year. I think Dublin are better too. It'll be down to who produces on the day. Should be a super game.
Keegan was certainly at last year's level up to half-time in the draw against Roscommon. With three weeks rest you have to expect he'll be back to that level again for the final.

For me Cillian O'Connor has been better from open play in the last few matches than he was last year, or perhaps ever. But his free-taking has definitely gone down a notch.

Mayo's real disadvantage is that they are basically relying on 18 players. It's clear that only Durcan and to a lesser extent Loftus and Coen are really trusted by their management to come in and do a job off the bench.

Absolutely, once you go beyond those two / three, the subs start to seriously weaken the team. Dublin could go well past six without doing that to any great extent. We'd need a couple of Dubs to go off early to balance that up - either young starters for Dublin having a nightmare, a black card or an injury. Last year we had two subs used by HT so we can ill afford a repeat of that.

Bloody david drake !!
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

mayoaremagic

I hear Imelda Maye is singing on Al final day?, seeing that she comes from the South inner City area I have no doubt that "Molly Malone" or the other one "the Auld triangle" will be belted out, or maybe a song each for both Counties.
I would encourage All Mayo supporters to sing our own song at exactly the same time (as the Dubs anthem).
Mayo County Board will need to aggressively demand a fair share of the Hill and Nally tickets, I will be in the unusual position of looking for a ticket here in Dublin and Mayo, I have never been let down for an All Ireland ticket from my Mayo contact. Having been in the Premium level for both Kerry matches, I need to be in the terraces for the final.
The Large flag will make an appearance also, maybe a loudspeaker and whistle.
We normally head to Mayo for the Halloween break, but this year I believe this will be brought forward, I have pencilled in a date on my work diary, it's 18th Sept, the Monday homecoming.

Crete Boom

Quote from: mayoaremagic on August 30, 2017, 09:53:00 AM
I hear Imelda Maye is singing on Al final day?, seeing that she comes from the South inner City area I have no doubt that "Molly Malone" or the other one "the Auld triangle" will be belted out, or maybe a song each for both Counties.
I would encourage All Mayo supporters to sing our own song at exactly the same time (as the Dubs anthem).
Mayo County Board will need to aggressively demand a fair share of the Hill and Nally tickets, I will be in the unusual position of looking for a ticket here in Dublin and Mayo, I have never been let down for an All Ireland ticket from my Mayo contact. Having been in the Premium level for both Kerry matches, I need to be in the terraces for the final.
We normally head to Mayo for the Halloween break, but this year I believe this will be brought forward, I have pencilled in a date on my work diary, it's 18th Sept, the Monday homecoming.

Good man, we won't have a hope in the final if somebody doesn't take down the might of Imelda May!! Keep her lit up in the premium level ;D

yellowcard

Quote from: sid waddell on August 29, 2017, 10:33:14 PM
Quote from: Hound on August 29, 2017, 01:01:47 PM
Form in semi-final is completely irrelevant when predicting what's going to happen in a final.

Only thing of relevance is last year's All Ireland finals, and that being 12 months ago makes it very hard to compare. Andy Moran is clearly playing better than last year, as is Aidan O'Shea. Doherty now a legitimate threat and Loftus looks like he could do what Costello did last year. Boyle is super, and nobody can doubt the class of Harrison and Barrett at the back. Vaughan (who I would say pretty much has always been poor v the Dubs) is having his best year ever. Keegan not at the same level as last year, but illness accounts for that. COC not playing as well as last year, but I'm sure Mayo lads are confident he'll play well.

Overall I would say I expect Mayo to be slightly better this year than last year. I think Dublin are better too. It'll be down to who produces on the day. Should be a super game.
Keegan was certainly at last year's level up to half-time in the draw against Roscommon. With three weeks rest you have to expect he'll be back to that level again for the final.

For me Cillian O'Connor has been better from open play in the last few matches than he was last year, or perhaps ever. But his free-taking has definitely gone down a notch.

Mayo's real disadvantage is that they are basically relying on 18 players. It's clear that only Durcan and to a lesser extent Loftus and Coen are really trusted by their management to come in and do a job off the bench.

I would say that Mayo are effectively playing with 16 players of a simialr level since Durcan is the only player who improves things when introduced. Coen looks like an ordinary player to me skill wise but Loftus has improved recently and may have some potential long term. So unless Barry Moran can work his way into contention for a 10/15 minute cameo I think Mayo's biggest disadvantage is this lack of strength in depth. They need to avoid injuries and black cards and it is arguable that they could have won last years final replay but for Keegan's black card in the replay.

AZOffaly

I  know you're a WUM, but anyone who brings a whistle to a GAA match needs a kick in the nads.

dublin7

Why the sudden demand for hill tickets for Mayo supporters.  Stick to the corporate seats and let the real fans get the tickets for the hill. It probably cost Croke Park money to open the hill for the first semi final and the replay. They only opened the middle section and between both teams this wasn't even close to full. 

As for the nonsense about whistles in the hill, as previously pointed out anyone who brings a whistle to a football match is a twat deserves a slap. Hopefully fools like you won't get a ticket and real fans will

Unlaoised

LAOIS ABÚ

whitey

Quote from: dublin7 on August 30, 2017, 03:48:38 PM

Why the sudden demand for hill tickets for Mayo supporters.  Stick to the corporate seats and let the real fans get the tickets for the hill. It probably cost Croke Park money to open the hill for the first semi final and the replay. They only opened the middle section and between both teams this wasn't even close to full. 

As for the nonsense about whistles in the hill, as previously pointed out anyone who brings a whistle to a football match is a twat deserves a slap. Hopefully fools like you won't get a ticket and real fans will

Having access to Hill tickets means that a gang of Mayo fans (who been attending games all year as a group) can get "seats" together for the final. 

Do you think this luxury should be afforded to only ONE of the competing teams?

Secondly Mayo supporters have enoumous travel expenses to attend the game compared to that of Dublin supporters.....should Mayo fans not have access to the cheapest seats in the house to help offset these expenses?

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: whitey on August 30, 2017, 04:41:30 PM

Having access to Hill tickets means that a gang of Mayo fans (who been attending games all year as a group) can get "seats" together for the final. 

Secondly Mayo supporters have enoumous travel expenses to attend the game compared to that of Dublin supporters.....should Mayo fans not have access to the cheapest seats in the house to help offset these expenses?

Of course the Hill should be (and is) open to supporters of all counties, but there didn't seem to be too many Mayo or Kerry supporters anxious to buy Hill tickets for the semi final(s).
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

whitey

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on August 30, 2017, 05:28:46 PM

Of course the Hill should be (and is) open to supporters of all counties, but there didn't seem to be too many Mayo or Kerry supporters anxious to buy Hill tickets for the semi final(s).

Why would they, when they had their pick of stand seats all together for the semi final?

Syferus

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on August 30, 2017, 05:28:46 PM

You realise they limit the number of Hill tickets on match-days when there isn't a full house expected, right? I suppose it may be different for Dublin when there's not a full house, but that kind of sinks your point..

Cllr Willie Power

Why the sudden demand for hill tickets for Mayo supporters.  Stick to the corporate seats and let the real fans get the tickets for the hill.

Would these be the same "real fans" who can't tell the difference between Eric Lowndes and Diarmuid Connolly???  ::)

Mayo4Sam

Will the real fans recognise St Dermo in two weeks time?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Wildweasel74

Given the way mayo have been going, there a replay write all over this

ballinaman