Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

playwiththewind1st

Ah he will still do ok.  Don't worry.

sam03/05

The new RTE Guy Bennett seems to want more emphasis on analysis
Sky were light years ahead in this respect.
But bringing guys like Rochford in - a modern coach, who knows the game and tactics is so much more insightful than watching and listening to the same old tired rubbish from Brolly.

screenexile

I think we know his feelings on Gallagher now ... 😵😵

thebuzz

Quote from: screenexile on September 10, 2019, 10:30:29 PM
I think we know his feelings on Gallagher now ... 😵😵

Yeah saw that. It's very funny. :) :) :)

Taylor

Quote from: BennyCake on September 10, 2019, 06:12:00 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on September 10, 2019, 02:36:18 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on September 10, 2019, 01:48:23 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on September 10, 2019, 12:34:58 PM
Quote from: Taylor on September 10, 2019, 11:38:51 AM
Bar the odd bit of nonsense (Cooper didnt pull Clifford back) I definitely think he is worth having on the panel.

If RTE balls about they will lose him - there is no doubt he makes more people tune in that tune out.

Not a notion that's true at this stage, RTE have surely realised by now that people will watch their GAA coverage from sheer force of habit regardless of what the standard of it is.
Brolly getting the heave would do nothing but vastly improve their live match coverage and analysis.

Totally agree. At least the others can say what they want without him cutting in and talking over them.

If I spot Brolly on TSG, it's "ah for f**ks sake", and I usually mute it all. Yes, there's other analysts who have their faults, but none of them make me turn off completely.

Yeah I wouldn't listen to it. I did on the all ireland final and it was ridiculous. Doesn't know what a foul is and questions the referee's integrity on the back of it. That after questioning Cavanagh years ago and I'm sure he's done more with the likes of McGeeney and maybe more. If he's gone good riddance but I'd be surprised if this is the last of him even if what is said here is true.

Well, I watched the AI final analysis only because it was the biggest game of the year. He ruined the whole experience, as the occasion was a wonderful spectre of Irish sport and culture, plus it was a great game. But he tainted the day for many I'd say.

But as you say, I doubt this is the last of him. I think RTE are just taking the heat out of the situation following his behaviour in the drawn match. Like Ant (Dec's mate), he'll be back next season when all has settled down, unfortunately.

Ah Benny. Seriously?
He tainted the day for many Id say? He ruined the whole experience?

Jesus - he only gave a bit of analysis for a few minutes.

rrhf

As they say in Tyrone. Don't worry be happy..  8)
moral of the story don't give young Gough any auld Guff..RTE are ruthless hoors and will take you down..if he needs any advice contact Mi....
To be fair he's enough to be getting his teeth into with Rory Gallagher and the Donegal /Tyrone plantation into Derry football..
Despite it all The world would be less soluble without Joes input..the craic outweighs the negatives..

imtommygunn

His dig at Gough was personalised just like Cavanagh etc. Like someone else said I've no doubt he'll be back on there. His dig at Gough was made considerably worse by the fact that the cause of the dig was that he couldn't even recognise a blatant foul.

clarshack

Quote from: BennyCake on September 10, 2019, 06:12:00 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on September 10, 2019, 02:36:18 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on September 10, 2019, 01:48:23 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on September 10, 2019, 12:34:58 PM
Quote from: Taylor on September 10, 2019, 11:38:51 AM
Bar the odd bit of nonsense (Cooper didnt pull Clifford back) I definitely think he is worth having on the panel.

If RTE balls about they will lose him - there is no doubt he makes more people tune in that tune out.

Not a notion that's true at this stage, RTE have surely realised by now that people will watch their GAA coverage from sheer force of habit regardless of what the standard of it is.
Brolly getting the heave would do nothing but vastly improve their live match coverage and analysis.

Totally agree. At least the others can say what they want without him cutting in and talking over them.

If I spot Brolly on TSG, it's "ah for f**ks sake", and I usually mute it all. Yes, there's other analysts who have their faults, but none of them make me turn off completely.

Yeah I wouldn't listen to it. I did on the all ireland final and it was ridiculous. Doesn't know what a foul is and questions the referee's integrity on the back of it. That after questioning Cavanagh years ago and I'm sure he's done more with the likes of McGeeney and maybe more. If he's gone good riddance but I'd be surprised if this is the last of him even if what is said here is true.

Well, I watched the AI final analysis only because it was the biggest game of the year. He ruined the whole experience, as the occasion was a wonderful spectre of Irish sport and culture, plus it was a great game. But he tainted the day for many I'd say.

But as you say, I doubt this is the last of him. I think RTE are just taking the heat out of the situation following his behaviour in the drawn match. Like Ant (Dec's mate), he'll be back next season when all has settled down, unfortunately.

He's gone from RTE for good apparently.

lurganblue

I for one wouldnt be happy at his exit from rte broadcasting.  I certainly dont always agree with what he says and of course he goes to far on occasion, but you know what, I'm drawn to hear his ramblings.  I get the Gaelic Life most weeks and the first article i want to read is his.  You cant say that about many other pundits.

Anyway, i'm sure he will land on his feet. 

Jeremiah O

Today is a good day.
Unconquered and unconquerable

BennyCake

Quote from: lurganblue on September 11, 2019, 09:49:26 AM
I for one wouldnt be happy at his exit from rte broadcasting.  I certainly dont always agree with what he says and of course he goes to far on occasion, but you know what, I'm drawn to hear his ramblings. I get the Gaelic Life most weeks and the first article i want to read is his.  You cant say that about many other pundits.

It's the very last thing I read in it.

I'll be able to enjoy the replay now knowing he'll be nowhere to be seen.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: BennyCake on September 11, 2019, 09:59:34 AM
Quote from: lurganblue on September 11, 2019, 09:49:26 AM
I for one wouldnt be happy at his exit from rte broadcasting.  I certainly dont always agree with what he says and of course he goes to far on occasion, but you know what, I'm drawn to hear his ramblings. I get the Gaelic Life most weeks and the first article i want to read is his.  You cant say that about many other pundits.

It's the very last thing I read in it.

I'll be able to enjoy the replay now knowing he'll be nowhere to be seen.

His indo output is divisive, vindictive and mean spirited. If you aren't a 6 county culchie, you aren't really Irish. A load of me bollix.

Snapchap

On a human level it's not right to take delight in someone getting the boot. But it's hard not to breath a sigh of relief that he's gone.

There was a time that I used to enjoy listening to him, because he was capable of both having the craic and doing some serious analysis. In the past 10 years or so, the analysis side of things became less and less important to him. The only thing he seems to care about is making sure he himself is the topic of conversation after every game.

His CONSTANT interrupting and talking over other panellists has become just unbearable. In the pre-match coverage there was one stage where Joanne Cantwell asked a direct question to Whelan, and no sooner had Ciaran started to utter his answer than Brolly was trying to butt in and talk over him, but Whelan wouldn't relent and continued to give his answer, and the more he tried to answer Joanne, the more frantic Joe became in his attempts to talk over him and make it about himself. It was just so needy and pathetic. And there's this nagging feeling that the constant interrupting is a premeditated tactic that he knows will get us talking about him.

It's all the more annoying when you compare the quality of analysis on Sky with the sort of tripe we get from Brolly. On Sky, Canavan and Donaghy bring a bit of craic but they also make the tactical battles easy to understand and they can read and explain what teams and individuals are trying to do and communicate it well. Meanwhile, over in the RTÉ studio, Brolly seems uninterested in discussing the actual game itself or the tactical battles. He's more interested in picking out a controversial moment like a foul and ranting & shouting people down about it for the following 10 minutes. That, or going on a rant about the latest rule change he's championing. In the early rounds of the championship, it seemed to be the norm that after every game was over, Brolly would talk about literally nothing of the game itself, and just use the whole time to promote his 'Paidi Ó'Sé Cup' idea.

And don't start me on his constant name-dropping of player/public figures. I stopped reading his columns because every one of them seems to include repeated references to who was texting him during the week, who he was sitting beside at the game, who he called in to see before the game yadda yadda yadda.

Ah rant over.

BennyCake

Snapchap, it's like you read my mind. Totally sums up everything about Brolly.