Peter Canavan:Ditching league finals would benefit integrity of the competion

Started by dec, March 18, 2024, 02:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: thewobbler on Today at 08:22:42 AM
Quote from: snoopdog on Today at 08:09:31 AMDo away with the only chance of a day out in croke pk for silverware for most duv 3 and 4 teams. Again the bugger counties always push for what suits them.

For the absolute life of me, I'll never understand why anyone would want to play in front of 5-10k people in Croke Park. The atmosphere is shit at these games. Absolute shit.
It's Croke Park. Its every players dream. 99% of players will never play in it.

thewobbler

Quote from: Armagh18 on Today at 08:25:06 AM
Quote from: snoopdog on Today at 08:09:31 AMDo away with the only chance of a day out in croke pk for silverware for most duv 3 and 4 teams. Again the bugger counties always push for what suits them.

For the absolute life of me, I'll never understand why anyone would want to play in front of 5-10k people in Croke Park. The atmosphere is shit at these games. Absolute shit.

Nonsense.

Every player's dream is to win championships. Some of that dream will involve Croke Park. But it's not the focus. Not even close.

snoopdog

Quote from: thewobbler on Today at 08:27:27 AM

Nonsense.

Every player's dream is to win championships. Some of that dream will involve Croke Park. But it's not the focus. Not even close.
So the schools finals shouldn't be played at croke pk infront of a few thousand. Sure who would want to play there.

Armagh18

Theres plenty of people in Cullyhanna that would disagree. I'm sure it's the same for all the other clubs around the country. Playing in Croker is special to any player, no matter the occasion.

thewobbler

Quote from: snoopdog on Today at 08:47:35 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on Today at 08:27:27 AM

Nonsense.

So the schools finals shouldn't be played at croke pk infront of a few thousand. Sure who would want to play there.

No these shouldn't be played in Croke, and there's decades of evidence that the Hogan Cup doesn't gain any more significance from being played in an empty stadium.

Yes some schoolboys get to boast how they've played in Croke Park. But anyone who might place that "achievement" on anything close to the same pedestal as winning a Hogan, well they don't get it. They just don't get what it's all about.

Shamrock Shore

Nice for the poor relations to get a game in Croke Park in fairness.

tbrick18

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 18, 2024, 05:58:52 PMAlways been stupid. A league with 7 games and there is a final for top 2. Be understandable if there were 20 games, but not enough teams in the divisions for this setup. Plus you see teams who are near the relegation zone in the penultimate week and nearly make the final by the next.

The flip side to this is that since we only play each other once in the league, there is no chance to redeem yourself from a "slip". The league final provides that for the 2 most consistent teams in that league perhaps?

I quite like the Div 1 league finals, but at the lower divisions, promotion is the prize imo and not a league title.

What about doing something drastic? Maybe league winners get a bye in the first round of their provincial championship and don't make the championship draw until the league has finished.
That would give some real value to the Div2/3/4 winners in particular.

The AI structure now does give weight to league positions but maybe not enough?

Or we just leave it as is. For some teams the only realistic chance of winning a competition, or getting to play in Croke park is a league final and that might be their priority.

JoG2

Quote from: tbrick18 on Today at 09:37:59 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on March 18, 2024, 05:58:52 PMAlways been stupid. A league with 7 games and there is a final for top 2. Be understandable if there were 20 games, but not enough teams in the divisions for this setup. Plus you see teams who are near the relegation zone in the penultimate week and nearly make the final by the next.

The flip side to this is that since we only play each other once in the league, there is no chance to redeem yourself from a "slip". The league final provides that for the 2 most consistent teams in that league perhaps?

I quite like the Div 1 league finals, but at the lower divisions, promotion is the prize imo and not a league title.

What about doing something drastic? Maybe league winners get a bye in the first round of their provincial championship and don't make the championship draw until the league has finished.
That would give some real value to the Div2/3/4 winners in particular.

The AI structure now does give weight to league positions but maybe not enough?

Or we just leave it as is. For some teams the only realistic chance of winning a competition, or getting to play in Croke park is a league final and that might be their priority.

That's it, most teams in fact. And every player on those county teams put in a serious shift as well.

It doesn't serve the game well to belittle everything outside of the Sam Maguire.

yellowcard

No problem with seeing any national final being played in Croke Park whatever the grade. This applies to junior club finals, Nick Rackard Cups, Tailteann Cups, Hogan Cups. Those players have earned the right to the big day out in HQ. Yes, the atmosphere can be flat in a big empty stadium but I'd hazard a guess that the majority of players and supporters are delighted to play them in Croke Park. It's not all about just playing the big county matches there.

Rossfan

Agree with that yellowcard.

League Finals are a bit illogical but the D3 and 4 Finals do give weaker teams a chance of a Croke Park national Final.
And of course the D1 and 2 Finals bring in a lot of €€€s
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Wildweasel74

Doing away with finals only served to suit the big 6-8 teams. To hell with the rest of them seems the opinion. There 20plus teams not make a top 8 quarter final in the championship. Hell 16 teams can't even play in the proper championship. Keep going the way we are, and it just end up like the Hurling championship.

Keyser soze

Tell me you've never played gaelic football without telling me........