Author Topic: AIF 2021 -- Maigh Eo vs Tír Eoghain  (Read 40891 times)

Aughafad

• View Profile
Re: AIF 2021 -- Maigh Eo vs Tír Eoghain
« Reply #1155 on: September 14, 2021, 12:05:05 PM »
That's a very honest article by McStay, have always thought he was one of the better pundits working in the media and he has walked the line so has seen the GAA from every side.

He makes particularly good points about how Mayo seem to produce an abundance of athletic running type footballers but very few final third finishers. Also raised an interesting statistic about how Mayo had 8 wides, a missed penalty and 2 balls dropped short in the final third of the match. That is a meltdown of bad decision making by anybodys standards.

I'm also glad that somebody from within Mayo football has finally had a go back at Brolly after he stuck the boot in again the morning after an AI final defeat. He needs to be challenged on those personal attacks but a lot are afraid to get drawn in and speak out about it.

Where was McStay's statement on the personal abuse brolly doled out to Cavanagh a few years ago? Not much use calling out that type of personal attack only when it hits close to home. He has had ample opportunities and a TV platform to call Brolly out previously but failed to do so.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 01:20:49 PM by Aughafad »

Aughafad

• View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: September 14, 2021, 12:05:48 PM »
Here McStay you wee w**ker, Derry have been to 2 finals!!

Not with Brolly in the side you haven't

Halfquarter

• View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: September 14, 2021, 12:47:52 PM »
That's a very honest article by McStay, have always thought he was one of the better pundits working in the media and he has walked the line so has seen the GAA from every side.

He makes particularly good points about how Mayo seem to produce an abundance of athletic running type footballers but very few final third finishers. Also raised an interesting statistic about how Mayo had 8 wides, a missed penalty and 2 balls dropped short in the final third of the match. That is a meltdown of bad decision making by anybodys standards.

I'm also glad that somebody from within Mayo football has finally had a go back at Brolly after he stuck the boot in again the morning after an AI final defeat. He needs to be challenged on those personal attacks but a lot are afraid to get drawn in and speak out about it.

Where was McStay's statement on the personal abuse brolly doled out to Cavanagh a few years ago? Not much use calling out that type of personal attack only when it hits close to home. He has had amble opportunities and a TV platform to call Brolly out previously but failed to do so.

Ah now ! A lot of people in fairness called out Brolly for his attack on Cavanagh, I think that was the start of his downfall in RTÉ .

Fact is, he has become a lot more insidious and nasty in relation to Mayo footballers in the recent past.
These are young men who are amateurs , not Premiership footballers where they have a fat salary to go with the abuse.

rrhf

• View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: September 14, 2021, 12:50:07 PM »
First and foremost hard luck to the Mayo lads, Mayo played their brilliant part in a tough, nervy game and the penalty another day, and the wides was their side of the defeat, otherwise I felt our lads deserved it and took the key scores at the key times, our running defence and half forwards and man to man football was key. It was a brilliant season and feels like 03 that we will improve for next year.  Lads the online treatment and commentary on O Shea is and for years has been a disgrace. In my opinion Brolly was wrong and Mc Stay pulled him on it.. He is right to do so, as a Mayo man.  As a fellow Gael you have to be concerned at the way online behaves when the mob feel someone needs taken down. Tyrone have dealt with this for years.   Who cares that Derry have been to 2 all Ireland finals. That is not the the important point here.  We stand up to this or we let it happen.  Mc Stay felt it was right to stand up to it.   Mayo now need to refuse to talk about the past, just the future..as they will be reminded of these final losses for years to come.  Control their own narrative. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 01:28:37 PM by rrhf »

Lamh Dhearg Alba

• View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: September 14, 2021, 01:08:51 PM »
Here McStay you wee w**ker, Derry have been to 2 finals!!

Not with Brolly in the side you haven't

Just as well, not sure how Brolly would have coped in the pre text 1958 world. "As news came over the wireless of another Derry wide, a carrier pigeon flew in through the window, 'Jim McKeever is shite'".

McStay is right to call him out as the latest Mayo piece was particularly mean spirited. But he is full of it anyway. I remember reading that the Derry team in 1993 didn't listen to Joe. I don't know why the rest of us since bother.

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: September 14, 2021, 01:13:03 PM »
Tbh he can be pretty poisonous and that whole RTÉ survey stuff etc he does on Twitter shows how spiteful he can be.

Mayo didn’t have a good day but they didn’t go out to give anything other than their best. That’s sport. They should hardly be hammered for it.

Aughafad

• View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: September 14, 2021, 01:27:59 PM »
I think it's about time RTE had a clear out of football commentators, be that Spillane, MM, Kavanagh, McStay, Whelan and o'rourke. 

Sky beats them every time when it comes to Football coverage, be that ex-players or proper journalists examining and breaking down the game instead or bullshit stories, personal attacks, "back in the day" diatribes and the same old platitudes.

From a northern perspective Oisin is very good but thats about it

Keyser soze

• View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: September 14, 2021, 01:28:55 PM »
Some posters<             >the joke about Derry AI finals

yellowcard

• View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: September 14, 2021, 01:37:49 PM »

Where was McStay's statement on the personal abuse brolly doled out to Cavanagh a few years ago? Not much use calling out that type of personal attack only when it hits close to home.
He has had ample opportunities and a TV platform to call Brolly out previously but failed to do so.

If someone attacks one of your own it is much more likely that you will jump to their defence than a player from another county. On that basis I'm sure that you think that Tyrone GAA media personalities should be lambasting Brolly now over comments made about O'Shea and O'Horan then? I've yet to see any of them do so and nor do I expect that they will.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 01:44:11 PM by yellowcard »

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: September 14, 2021, 01:40:57 PM »
I don’t think they ever even bother talking about him tbh. I imagine Dooher, Logan etc couldn’t give a crap about him.

Captain Obvious

• View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: September 14, 2021, 02:20:39 PM »
I don’t think they ever even bother talking about him tbh. I imagine Dooher, Logan etc couldn’t give a crap about him.
Yes they wouldn't, Brolly craves attention and will always attack the hot topic which was another All-Ireland final loss for Mayo and attack one of their most high profile players for losing it. I have no doubt Joe is delighted that McStay gave him a mention in the Irish Times.

Cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: September 14, 2021, 03:39:29 PM »
It is amazing what can be achieved when you go out with an ambition to win rather than not to lose. That extra pep in your step. Go long, take a risk, look for the extra pass to create the goal chance. Fantastic. Brilliant to watch. We were well worth our victory. We got our match ups right and rather than Mayo playing poorly we didn't allow them to play well and there is a difference. We controlled how the game panned out. It was not down to Mayo but down to us and how we managed the game.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 03:51:16 PM by Cobra »

JoG2

• View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: September 14, 2021, 03:49:27 PM »

+1

One of the best articles I've read, and I've read many since Saturdays game

Enjoy listening to McStay, he is passionate but never goes full Brolly or Spillane. And as has been said above, he's walked the line. Brolly hasn't and I doubt he ever will.

And I know I'm adding to his oxegen, but the man is a complete clown in his columns. Cavanagh, Skinner, O'Shea etc, all at the receiving end of his venum.
The article, re Mayo : 'Time wasters', 'embarrassing', 'this contest was over before it even began'... Absolute garage, real gutter press writing seeking attention.
At a national level, there's only one like Brolly, and thank god, for these players are all club / community men, amateurs, volunteers. They don't deserve to be getting both barrels from Brolly. The Daily Mail would suit him.

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: September 14, 2021, 04:03:55 PM »

Where was McStay's statement on the personal abuse brolly doled out to Cavanagh a few years ago? Not much use calling out that type of personal attack only when it hits close to home. He has had amble opportunities and a TV platform to call Brolly out previously but failed to do so.

Ah now ! A lot of people in fairness called out Brolly for his attack on Cavanagh, I think that was the start of his downfall in RTÉ .

Fact is, he has become a lot more insidious and nasty in relation to Mayo footballers in the recent past.
These are young men who are amateurs , not Premiership footballers where they have a fat salary to go with the abuse.

They are the easy target for losing a number of finals. Narcissists do that, pick on easy prey. You have to wonder if Brollys personal insults/attacks is to disguise the lack of success in his own career as a county footballer. His record doesn’t stand up to other pundits like Spillane, O’Rourke, Tomas O’Se, Cooper.

Whatever about Mayo’s failures to get over the line, they have come back year after year, regularly competing for AI’s. They are amateurs, giving their time and effort, and have given their supporters some great days. Some heartbreaking ones too. But I’d love for us to be competing annually in the latter stages like Mayo.

Jayop

• View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: September 14, 2021, 04:05:46 PM »
More than one Brolly. Both Spillane and ORourke have also gone on public agenda driven personal attacks against players. They may not do it as often but the effect on their victim is just as strongly felt.