AIF 2021 -- Maigh Eo vs Tír Eoghain

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, August 28, 2021, 06:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dire Ear

BennyCake

Quote from: trueblue1234 on September 10, 2021, 01:51:12 PM
I'm glad Tyrone has the backing of  Derry and Armagh anyway. United we stand.

Absolutely!  ;D

Sure you'd do the same for us.

trueblue1234

Quote from: BennyCake on September 10, 2021, 02:02:38 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on September 10, 2021, 01:51:12 PM
I'm glad Tyrone has the backing of  Derry and Armagh anyway. United we stand.

Absolutely!  ;D

Sure you'd do the same for us.
Ya never give us the chance to hate on you anymore. Unfair really.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

greatpoint

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40694789.html

Between this and what he said on OTB, Bogue's really backed up his assertion that he's become a Tyrone supporter. Pity about the historical inaccuracies though, it would have actually improved the article had he been more accurate.

bennydorano

I haven't really been following this thread and no doubt most of the points have already been made but my 2 cents:- I think Mayo will win by 4 or 5 points, i've a Zen like feeling of calmness that I know the result, but there is of course no basis for it.

The aftermath of the Tyrone v Kerry match was a strange one for me, Tyrone were rightly lauded for masterminding a victory against raging hot favourites but then for the next few days there was some strange takes on it like Tyrone weren't been giving enough credit etc..I actually thought they were given way too much credit – Tyrone came out the right side of an incredibly tight game against a team generally thought to have underperformed and been extremely tactically naïve, Kerry missed an open goal, Conor McKenna's 2nd goal was so incredibly fortuitous, I just felt Tyrone got the rub of the green and by law of averages they wont be as lucky again.

I think Mayo bring an organised chaos that will trouble Tyrone, Tyrone are solid & formulaic and will be quite confident in their ability to shackle Mayo, but they'll have to shackle about 3 or 4 different types of Mayo by the end of the game and I think one of them will get through.  Ignore the passion, desire, drive and history - I just think Mayo are a better side with a better manager.

Rois

Quote from: greatpoint on September 10, 2021, 02:20:36 PM

Between this and what he said on OTB, Bogue's really backed up his assertion that he's become a Tyrone supporter. Pity about the historical inaccuracies though, it would have actually improved the article had he been more accurate.
So most of the historical facts came from others, just wondering which parts you found inaccurate?

Do you accuse him of being a Tyrone supporter because the article isn't criticising Tyrone?  I don't think that was the point of it. 

clarshack

Quote from: bennydorano on September 10, 2021, 02:23:50 PM
I just felt Tyrone got the rub of the green and by law of averages they wont be as lucky again.

I'm sure people said that about Armagh's run to the final in 2002?

bennydorano

Quote from: clarshack on September 10, 2021, 02:42:03 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on September 10, 2021, 02:23:50 PM
I just felt Tyrone got the rub of the green and by law of averages they wont be as lucky again.

I'm sure people said that about Armagh's run to the final in 2002?
What an excellent and totally relevant point to make.

I actually had a line in my post about this not being petty, blinkered Armagh post, but removed it, guess I should have left it in. Luck is luck, roll with it

blanketattack

One thing odd about this year's final, is regardless of who wins tomorrow, at best they'll start as 3rd favourite for the All-Ireland in 2022, or if Tyrone win a tight one, probably 4th favourite.

Rossfan

Quote from: clarshack on September 10, 2021, 01:49:54 PM
Who are the Galway and Roscommon ones cheering for tomorrow?
Speaking for myself totally neutral once the Rhus have 26 Co Mayo people on their match day squad.
I'd say Ros people 50/50 while Galways 90/10 for the neighbours.
Hope it's a good exciting game and nice not to have Dublin or Kerry in it.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on September 09, 2021, 10:46:49 PM
The one thing that worries me is our scoring.

On the 69th minute, we were on 1-10. That's fairly low. Kerry had 0-15. Had that Canavan shot not fallen to McShane, we were looking at a very disappointing return. Almost choking level.

What of the 2003 Final, where we prevailed with 0-12, only, and hardly could be described as choking?

It all depends, I'd say, and depending on how frugal the respective defences are, it might be surprising as to what will be actually necessary.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

greatpoint

Quote from: Rois on September 10, 2021, 02:32:50 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on September 10, 2021, 02:20:36 PM

So most of the historical facts came from others, just wondering which parts you found inaccurate?

Do you accuse him of being a Tyrone supporter because the article isn't criticising Tyrone?  I don't think that was the point of it.

I'm not accusing him of anything, he's stated before that he considers himself a Tyrone supporter since moving there. I'm saying it's clear to see that is the case.

In terms of inaccuracies:

QuoteEver since the O'Neill's lost the Nine Years War, Tyrone has been the most anti-establishment county of them all.

The O'Neills did not unilaterally lose the NYW, it was not theirs to lose.

Quoteagainst the British forces brought in by the Tudor invasion.

The forces were not British, this is an anachronism.

QuoteWhile battles were fought all over Ireland, the most significant ones were fought in Ulster.

The most significant and decisive battle was fought in Munster, in addition to other very significant ones fought outside of Ulster.

Quote"Queen Elizabeth was tortured by Tyrone. The War that O'Neill started, the Nine Year War, took more money off the Crown that any other operation outside the Spanish Armada."

Elizabeth had recently granted O'Neill his English title when the war started and he was fighting on the English side at that time. To simply say that Elizabeth was tortured by him, in addition to saying he started the war, is reductive.

QuoteI suppose Gaelic Tyrone was the last bastion of Gaelic Ulster. It was the last to fall, but some would say it never really fell," he notes.

Tyrone was not the last area under Gaelic rule to fall. Even long before the NYW began, the O'Neills had allowed anglicisation, through English influence, to begin.

QuoteWhen the boat left Rathmullan with Hugh O'Neill and 90 of his followers, bound for mainland Europe and the exile of the Flight of the Earls, it cleared the way for the Plantation of Ulster.

Approximately 90 people, including Rory O'Donnell and his followers, sailed from Rathmullan. The idea that the O'Donnells were there as followers of Hugh O'Neill is very silly.

Rois

;D Are you my father or my sister??

I haven't a clue about the accuracy, I don't know much about those topics, but poor old Declan's used the words of others, not all his own.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: greatpoint on September 10, 2021, 03:34:43 PM

In terms of inaccuracies:

QuoteEver since the O'Neill's lost the Nine Years War, Tyrone has been the most anti-establishment county of them all.

The O'Neills did not unilaterally lose the NYW, it was not theirs to lose.

The O'Neills were front and centre, hence why it's also known as Tyrone's Rebellion

Quoteagainst the British forces brought in by the Tudor invasion.

The forces were not British, this is an anachronism.

Moot, I'd say, and it helps to contextualise in a modern setting.

QuoteWhile battles were fought all over Ireland, the most significant ones were fought in Ulster.

The most significant and decisive battle was fought in Munster, in addition to other very significant ones fought outside of Ulster.

Kinsale? Fair enough, though it centrally involved O'Neill & O'Donnell.

Quote"Queen Elizabeth was tortured by Tyrone. The War that O'Neill started, the Nine Year War, took more money off the Crown that any other operation outside the Spanish Armada."

Elizabeth had recently granted O'Neill his English title when the war started and he was fighting on the English side at that time. To simply say that Elizabeth was tortured by him, in addition to saying he started the war, is reductive.

Not really I'd say, she was at her wits' end with O'Neill, though held on just long enough to frustrate the Gaelic efforts. And to say that O'Neill was "fighting on the English side" is pushing it a bit, imho.

QuoteI suppose Gaelic Tyrone was the last bastion of Gaelic Ulster. It was the last to fall, but some would say it never really fell," he notes.

Tyrone was not the last area under Gaelic rule to fall. Even long before the NYW began, the O'Neills had allowed anglicisation, through English influence, to begin.

Really, so where was?

QuoteWhen the boat left Rathmullan with Hugh O'Neill and 90 of his followers, bound for mainland Europe and the exile of the Flight of the Earls, it cleared the way for the Plantation of Ulster.

Approximately 90 people, including Rory O'Donnell and his followers, sailed from Rathmullan. The idea that the O'Donnells were there as followers of Hugh O'Neill is very silly.

Perhaps a bit simplistic, yes, but O'Neill was pre-eminent.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Jayop

back to the football....

Cahair O'Kane
@CahairOKane1
Mayo team #GAA
1. Rob Hennelly
2. Padraig O'Hora
3. Lee Keegan
4. Michael Plunkett
5. Paddy Durcan
6. Stephen Coen
7. Enda Hession