AIF 2021 -- Maigh Eo vs Tír Eoghain

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, August 28, 2021, 06:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarshack

Quote from: yellowcard on September 10, 2021, 12:21:42 PM
I can't remember a match being analysed to death as much as this one. Podcasts have been made analysing the match which have lasted longer than the actual match will itself. Pundits trying to second guess tactics, match ups, team selections etc as if it is some sort of exact science. I think we must be getting very near the point where we are reaching the peak of GAA over analysis by the media.

Exactly, all it takes is for a key player to go off injured early on or even worse sent off and it changes everything, and you cannot predict something like that.

RedHand88

I can't remember a match being analysed to death as much as this one. Podcasts have been made analysing the match which have lasted longer than the actual match will itself. Pundits trying to second guess tactics, match ups, team selections etc as if it is some sort of exact science. I think we must be getting very near the point where we are reaching the peak of GAA over analysis by the media.

The conundrum over whether to start mcshane or not has taken over everything I've read.

mouview

Quote from: clarshack on September 10, 2021, 12:24:37 PM

Exactly, all it takes is for a key player to go off injured early on or even worse sent off and it changes everything, and you cannot predict something like that.

Or a couple of OGs!

The one thing that makes me fear for Mayo is that I can't really see them losing! Both teams struggled / had to work so hard for scores to an extent in their semi-finals, but Mayo's opponents then were more proven, with less subsequent weaknesses than Kerry. Tyrone showed great stubbornness and work rate to overcome Kerry but still had to rely on the 3 goals, 2 of which were as a result of poor defending, and had the luck to see Kerry score none of their own. As poor as Galway are, I'd fancy our chances reasonably enough were we in the final tomorrow, and Mayo are much superior to us. I think they'll be stronger throughout the field and better in midfield in particular, and find scores that much easier to come by.  Mayo by 5 at least.

Armagh18

Quote from: ONeill on September 09, 2021, 10:46:49 PM
The one thing that worries me is our scoring.

On the 69th minute, we were on 1-10. That's fairly low. Kerry had 0-15. Had that Canavan shot not fallen to McShane, we were looking at a very disappointing return. Almost choking level.
In fairness Mayos scoring wasn't great vs the Dubs either and O'Connor is a massive loss, although I've a feeling we'll see him on the bench.

Mayo4Sam14

I really think we'll win this one. I think we'll win most kick outs and we'll edge the turnovers, and if that happens I don't see Tyrone creating enough chances to kick scores.

I think Mayos defence are far more comfortable on the ball and at driving the team forward. I think because of that Tyrone will be turned over in there own defense more often.

Anyway, Mayo For Sam!
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Cobra

I want to say that if Tyrone do not win (unlikely) I couldn't be happier that it will be Mayo. They're great people and have been great friends to Tyrone over the years. So while a Tyrone loss would be awful it will be tempered ever so slightly.

You're right about the analysis. It's just relentless. Trying to predict chaos.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Armagh18 on September 10, 2021, 12:51:11 PM
Quote from: ONeill on September 09, 2021, 10:46:49 PM
The one thing that worries me is our scoring.

On the 69th minute, we were on 1-10. That's fairly low. Kerry had 0-15. Had that Canavan shot not fallen to McShane, we were looking at a very disappointing return. Almost choking level.
In fairness Mayos scoring wasn’t great vs the Dubs either and O’Connor is a massive loss, although I’ve a feeling we’ll see him on the bench.

One difference was Mayo was up against a well organised Dublin defence the best chance of beating them was in a low scoring game.

Kerry compared to the Dubs aren't as well organised defensively and points wise Tyrone only scored 11 in 70 minutes. The goals was obviously huge in bringing the game to extra time and the 3rd goal key to winning the match by a point.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

APM

Quote from: mouview on September 10, 2021, 12:41:54 PM
Quote from: clarshack on September 10, 2021, 12:24:37 PM

Or a couple of OGs!

The one thing that makes me fear for Mayo is that I can't really see them losing! Both teams struggled / had to work so hard for scores to an extent in their semi-finals, but Mayo's opponents then were more proven, with less subsequent weaknesses than Kerry. Tyrone showed great stubbornness and work rate to overcome Kerry but still had to rely on the 3 goals, 2 of which were as a result of poor defending, and had the luck to see Kerry score none of their own. As poor as Galway are, I'd fancy our chances reasonably enough were we in the final tomorrow, and Mayo are much superior to us. I think they'll be stronger throughout the field and better in midfield in particular, and find scores that much easier to come by.  Mayo by 5 at least.

You can't see Mayo losing?  If there is a way to lose an All Ireland final, Mayo will inevitably find it.

Tyrone always struggle with Mayo and Mayo always struggle with finals. It's nearly impossible to call.
I hope Mayo do it; despite their inability to get over the line, they have been for me, the most inspirational team in the last 20 years. 

I seen that a publican somewhere has characterised the game as being The Curse v The Virus. 
To me its The Romantics v The Cynics

Maybe that's a bit unfair on Tyrone and Mayo are well fit for a some cynical football when its needed,

In line with that thinking, the heart says Mayo.  But the head says Tyrone get the crucial breaks at the right time and with 5 mins left, they will be defending a 3pt lead, playing keep ball, sacrificing a black cards and taking momentum out of the game at every chance they get. 

Dire Ear

Betting question,  if you wanted team a to win by more than 3 points;  do you write, team a,  -3?
Cheers

Rois

The poor presenter on Newstalk doesn't know how to deal with the Conor Grimes/Datsun Donaghey phenomenon...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Dire Ear on September 10, 2021, 01:36:02 PM
Betting question,  if you wanted team a to win by more than 3 points;  do you write, team a,  -3?
Cheers

That be a draw, 1-13 to 1-10 would be a draw -3
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Eire90

Question for those on here do you prefer a saturday final or sunday Final.

clarshack

Who are the Galway and Roscommon ones cheering for tomorrow?

trueblue1234

I'm glad Tyrone has the backing of  Derry and Armagh anyway. United we stand.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Cobra

Quote from: Dire Ear on September 10, 2021, 01:36:02 PM
Cheers

-3 they have to win by 4 or more.
-2 they have to win by 3 or more.