AIF 2021 -- Maigh Eo vs Tír Eoghain

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, August 28, 2021, 06:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryin89

Could be one vacancy up for grabs in the 26 , depends on how getting fluid out of the knee impacts a player .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Chimley

Quote from: larryin89 on September 07, 2021, 07:15:14 PM
Could be one vacancy up for grabs in the 26 , depends on how getting fluid out of the knee impacts a player .

Ah don't be putting us on a downer in the week of an AI. At least it sounds like it's not a starter.

tyrone08

Looking back at previous championship games between mayo and tyrone. While mayo have been sometimes unlucky in the final they got lucky in 2 previous championship games. In 2013 petey was taken out of it and not even a free given, a tackle outside the box was given as a penalty. In 2016 Lee constant off the ball fouling some how ended up with Sean getting sent off and they got a few more than generous calls in their favour.

larryin89

Quote from: tyrone08 on September 07, 2021, 08:39:47 PM
Looking back at previous championship games between mayo and tyrone. While mayo have been sometimes unlucky in the final they got lucky in 2 previous championship games. In 2013 petey was taken out of it and not even a free given, a tackle outside the box was given as a penalty. In 2016 Lee constant off the ball fouling some how ended up with Sean getting sent off and they got a few more than generous calls in their favour.

Yeah that means ye will win sat . No bother to ye , oh btw tom cunnife shoulder was exactly that fair and true square

iorras

Sorry not being a Dub, but TCs shoulder on Petey is in the textbook as to how to shoulder. Leeroy learned from the Ricey book of niggle and only got past chapter 2 :)

tyrone08

Quote from: larryin89 on September 07, 2021, 09:07:59 PM

Yeah that means ye will win sat . No bother to ye , oh btw tom cunnife shoulder was exactly that fair and true square

I'm only on the wind up. I watched the shoulder again there. Not sure about it. It was a square shoulder but Peter was going for the ball while Tom was directly going for Peter. Peter couldn't brace himself for it. Not sure what the rules are in that case. I would have thought if one player going for the ball while the other was going for the player it would have been a foul. There was no malice in however

ONeill

First they build a victory platform, now they bring back O'Connor for a winners medal.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Milltown Row2

Player dipping for ball and being shouldered is a foul all day long... player going for a ball and being shouldered is not, providing he's squared on.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

larryin89

Quote from: tyrone08 on September 07, 2021, 09:47:28 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on September 07, 2021, 09:07:59 PM

the rule doesnt say anything about that , i dont agree with the rule tbh and think it could cause serious damage to someone someday as every year goes by these top players get stronger and better conditioned , some power in them hits nowadays.

I'm only on the wind up. I watched the shoulder again there. Not sure about it. It was a square shoulder but Peter was going for the ball while Tom was directly going for Peter. Peter couldn't brace himself for it. Not sure what the rules are in that case. I would have thought if one player going for the ball while the other was going for the player it would have been a foul. There was no malice in however

Whishtup

It's the angle he came in at(coming from front) , made no attempt to play the ball and Harte's body was open as he was reaching for the ball. Shoulder to shoulder does not trump dangerous play. Depending on ref could be yellow or straight red so he was a lucky boy. Nobody wants to see this type of tackle and I would not complain if a Tyrone player was sent off for this.

Jayop

Quote from: Whishtup on September 07, 2021, 10:59:06 PM
It's the angle he came in at(coming from front) , made no attempt to play the ball and Harte's body was open as he was reaching for the ball. Shoulder to shoulder does not trump dangerous play. Depending on ref could be yellow or straight red so he was a lucky boy. Nobody wants to see this type of tackle and I would not complain if a Tyrone player was sent off for this.

I made and deleted a post there because I had a video of the play and explained how I thought it was a cert foul too. However I then looked at the rules and quickly deleted my post :)

My assumption was that it was a foul because Harte wasn't in possession of the ball, however all the rules say about a shoulder is....

1.9   Provided that he has at least one foot on the ground, a player may make a shoulder to shoulder charge on an opponent- 

(a) who is in possession of the ball,

or

(b) who is playing the ball,

or 

(c)  when both players are moving in the direction of the ball to play it

Harte didn't have the ball. He never had the ball, he touched it but wasn't in possession and the contact was after Harte had played it so situation (a) didn't exist. Situation (b) is questionable and could be argued either way, Harte attempted to play the ball, it slipped through his fingers and was hit moments later. I'd say under that stipulation it was a fair hit. However it was certainly a fair hit under stipulation (c) as both players were still moving towards the ball.

The only remaining questions are;

1) was it shoulder to shoulder and it clearly was.
2) Was TC's foot on the ground? It was.

The challenge is 45 seconds into this vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV0t36dyEBk&t=49s

Now whether the GAA should allow such a challenge is a different proposition but I think they should. It's a manly game and if you can't hit a man fair and square on the shoulder and buckle him then what are we at??

Jayop

Is CoC being parachuted into the team unfit to make an appearance in the last few minutes if Mayo are up just so he can get his hands on a medal? No way he could be back from an achilles Tendon in 2 and a half months.

I'm only guessing but that would be incredible from the management to use a bench space like that. No player in the country probably deserves a medal more but when you have only 11 subs and a really good chance of using a lot of them if it goes to extra time.

Surely this has to be nonsense.

MayoBuck

Quote from: Jayop on September 07, 2021, 11:49:14 PM
Is CoC being parachuted into the team unfit to make an appearance in the last few minutes if Mayo are up just so he can get his hands on a medal? No way he could be back from an achilles Tendon in 2 and a half months.

I'm only guessing but that would be incredible from the management to use a bench space like that. No player in the country probably deserves a medal more but when you have only 11 subs and a really good chance of using a lot of them if it goes to extra time.

Surely this has to be nonsense.

Can't see him being on the bench at all. He was still in a cast and crutches up to a few weeks ago. Even if he's back walking now, there would be several months of physio and rehab before you could go back playing.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/darragh-%C3%B3-s%C3%A9-mayo-s-track-record-suggests-they-can-take-the-final-step-1.4667662?mode=ampAll things considered, I'm siding with Mayo. They have pulled themselves out of disastrous situations against both Galway and Dublin. They have showed that when the intensity gets up to the highest level, that's where they thrive.

Tyrone knew they could disrupt Kerry by turning up the heat. But the higher they turn the heat on Mayo, the more Mayo like it.

When it comes right down to it, Mayo have beaten better teams than Tyrone have over the past few seasons. They have everything in their track record except the last thing, the most important thing. Now's their time to go and get it.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU