AIF 2021 -- Maigh Eo vs Tír Eoghain

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, August 28, 2021, 06:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Quote from: Chimley on September 06, 2021, 10:09:32 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on September 06, 2021, 10:06:27 PM
Rewatching the 2013 semi final, half an hour in. By god my memory of us not being able to kick snow off a rope wasn't wrong at all! Best part was Freeman having a goal ruled out because the ref was pulling it back for a free. Then McLoughlin kicked the 13m, more less centre, wide!

Wait until you get to the penalty for Mayo. We never should have got that. It was outside the box for sure.

They even showed the replay on the big screen. Dermot Carlin and Joe Mcmahon were pleading with the referee to watch it again.

Tubberman

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on September 06, 2021, 10:13:27 PM
It seems to be Chris Barrett coming up with the big scores!

Yeah he got us going that day, but once we got into our stride we won it comfortably enough from what i remember
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Tubberman on September 06, 2021, 10:24:59 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on September 06, 2021, 10:13:27 PM
It seems to be Chris Barrett coming up with the big scores!

Yeah he got us going that day, but once we got into our stride we won it comfortably enough from what i remember

32 mins: Tyrone 0-7 Mayo 0-3

38 mins: Tyrone 0-7 Mayo 1-7
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Mayo4Sam14

I think they're could be a similar trend on Saturday. Poor first half from Mayo, Tyrone leave them in it at half time, Mayo kick on second half
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

iorras

CAnt see how McLaughlin can start - double broken jaw?? Sure he wouldnt even have been eating. Its in the Telegraph so that probably means neither of them will ever play for Mayo again.
Having them would be huge, even if it was to come in at some stage. You cant keep losing quality players and it not have a big impact, without those 2 and COC Mayo are down 20% of a starting team with the additional impact of 3 impact subs moving into the starting team and 3 lesser lads moving onto the bench.

Chimley

Quote from: iorras on September 06, 2021, 10:39:08 PM
CAnt see how McLaughlin can start - double broken jaw?? Sure he wouldnt even have been eating. Its in the Telegraph so that probably means neither of them will ever play for Mayo again.
Having them would be huge, even if it was to come in at some stage. You cant keep losing quality players and it not have a big impact, without those 2 and COC Mayo are down 20% of a starting team with the additional impact of 3 impact subs moving into the starting team and 3 lesser lads moving onto the bench.

The only thing that makes sense there is if he wasn't as badly injured as reported. Horan said that he was back at training on the bike on the Tuesday so that seems to indicate that it wasn't too bad.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Chimley on September 06, 2021, 10:42:26 PM
Quote from: iorras on September 06, 2021, 10:39:08 PM

The only thing that makes sense there is if he wasn't as badly injured as reported. Horan said that he was back at training on the bike on the Tuesday so that seems to indicate that it wasn't too bad.

Seems to be the case alright. The telegraph loves their leaks but they are rarely wrong with such leaks.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

RedHand88

David Brady has been hard to take seriously after he said Armagh would challenge Tyrone in 2017, but this should be a good night.

tyrone08

Quote from: RedHand88 on September 07, 2021, 07:53:14 AM

David Brady has been hard to take seriously after he said Armagh would challenge Tyrone in 2017, but this should be a good night.

Can't be having that Colm fella. The amount of crap he but up about tyrone and the whole covid thing I am surprised he wanted to come up to tyrone

Redhand Santa

I don't think I've ever felt a sense of confidence coming from Mayo going into a final like this one. It's probably the first time they've been favourites going into a final (Tyrone are always underdogs in finals) and they're playing a county that they generally always beat. It's set up perfectly and you sense for the first time that Mayo are thinking of home coming celebrations as opposed to the fear of another loss. Many have admitted being delighted to see Kerry losing.

But having said all that I do feel Tyrone have a great chance. We've serious athletic ability to match Mayo around the middle sector and have quality forwards to do damage including from the bench. I'd love to see Mayo win an All Ireland but not this year. None of this Tyrone team have experienced All Ireland success either and deserve it every bit as much.

rrhf

Quote from: rrhf on September 07, 2021, 08:38:19 AM
As the telegraph states. Mayo feel this is their best chance of an all Ireland in 70 years.. Do you lads really feel that there were no significant chances in the last 70 years, or is it just because its Tyrone you are playing and in fairness you have our number. 

Farrandeelin

I was fully confident in 2017 to be honest. After they beat Kerry in the semi that year, I honestly couldn't see either Tyrone or Dublin beating them. This year, while it's a novel pairing has me thinking "ffs, we take out the Dubs and may lose another final".

Hard to allow myself to dream after all the disappointments in previous years.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

iorras

If its the Connaught Telegraph your talking about then paper never refused ink is all I'll say. If its the UK Telegraph then enough said.
Anyone who thinks this is a "great chance" doesn't know what they are talking about, Mayo are slight favourites with the bookies because thats where the money is going, but only slightly so.
Looking back at the respective semis, Mayo should never have won it, Tyrone had more of a structure and more of a plan. Mayo just ended up in a situation where they landed on the right side of the scoreboard for once.
Tyrone are more experienced, Mayo are half young bucks, potentially missing young player of the year and the highest scoring forward in the history of the GAA.
Tyrone have people in the setup who know how to/what its like to win senior all irelands recently, our collective experience is all about losing them.
I really dont see the case for making Mayo favorites.
Regarding the 70 year comment, the all ireland was won twice in 1996, should have been won again in 1997 but no-one thought to mark Maurice Fitz and at least once between 2012 and 2017. This is not the best chance by any means, being a point up and a man up, with 6 minutes to go in normal time and just after being awarded a scoreable free to go 2 up and waste some more time before someone decided to get themselves sent off was probably another one of the better chances over the past 70 years than this years final.

Halfquarter

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 07, 2021, 10:16:23 AM
I was fully confident in 2017 to be honest. After they beat Kerry in the semi that year, I honestly couldn't see either Tyrone or Dublin beating them. This year, while it's a novel pairing has me thinking "ffs, we take out the Dubs and may lose another final".

That was the big fear before the Semi-Final, we take out the Dubs and then get beaten in the Final, admittedly most people thought Kerry would be in the Final.
It would be a sickener to be beaten by Kerry, as over the years of Dublin dominance they never laid a glove on Dublin and left  all the heavy lifting to Mayo.

iorras

Quote from: Halfquarter on September 07, 2021, 10:56:02 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 07, 2021, 10:16:23 AM

That was the big fear before the Semi-Final, we take out the Dubs and then get beaten in the Final, admittedly most people thought Kerry would be in the Final.
It would be a sickener to be beaten by Kerry, as over the years of Dublin dominance they never laid a glove on Dublin and left  all the heavy lifting to Mayo.
Our All Ireland final appearances over the past 20 years generally throw whatever you think before hand out of the window when the game comes anyway. I've made solid cases in my own head where we might win only to be proven spectacularly wrong (2006 being the worst!) and gone to Croker presuming we were going to get trimmed only to nearly win it (2016, 2017)
We also do own goals, have the ref come down heavily in favour of the opposition, give the opposition a 1 goal head start and other mad things as well so who knows what madness next Saturday will bring. Feck all point analysing.