AIF 2021 -- Maigh Eo vs Tír Eoghain

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, August 28, 2021, 06:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

I honestly can not see Tyrone winning this comfortably. For me Mayo will win comfortably or Tyrone will win in a very tight game.

People are playing Dublin down. Dublin were still very good and I honestly don't think Kerry or Tyrone would have beat them. Mayo made harder work of it than they should have but that is what Mayo tend to do.

nrico2006

The top teams are all fit. Anybody trying to speculate who is fitter is simply, speculating. They are both extremely fit teams, with fitness not being a deciding factor in this game.

Tyrone had a long lay-off before the last game due to covid, therefore I am hoping for an improved performance in the final, with less mistakes  given the fact they have played more recently than Mayo and have been training away in the mean time. My main concern would be whether Tyrone can score goals. Its long been MHs way to take less risks and as a result Tyrone have a poor goal scoring record. I'm not convinced that aspect has changed yet. 2 of the 3 goals last week were due to fortune more than anything. I hope I'm wrong. Cannot afford black cards either.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

RedHand88

Kerry looked surprisingly unfit the last day out.

Whishtup

In Mckenna, McShane, Canavan, you get a sense ghat they are hungry for goals. If they can provide that great again, Mayo will be drawn back to a deeper style of defending. That's when the Donnelly's, mcgearys, sluddens, mccurrys, Morgan, need to be 99% accurate.

trueblue1234

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 05, 2021, 02:37:22 PM
I honestly can not see Tyrone winning this comfortably. For me Mayo will win comfortably or Tyrone will win in a very tight game.

People are playing Dublin down. Dublin were still very good and I honestly don't think Kerry or Tyrone would have beat them. Mayo made harder work of it than they should have but that is what Mayo tend to do.

I don't think either will win comfortably, squads at too similar a level, and fitness seems in line. It will be a nervy tight game with the last 15 mins riddled with 2 teams who don't want to lose!!
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

larryin89

It's not fitness per se , s&c , speed . Paddy , oisin and Leroy are near impossible to stop if they hit the gears.  Mattie and diarmuid will dominate , I just can't see Tyrone been able to nullify our bucks , call me cocky and stupidly confident if ya wish ,  I just think we are better outfit than Tyrone. 
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

whitey

I think it will be a dogfight

And I think the referee will have a big bearing on the outcome based on how he decides to ref the game

Mayo4Sam14

I'm cautiously confident, however McQuillan over Gough has dampened my enthusiasm a little.

I think Mayo will start poorly again. But through a combination of indiscipline, poor shooting, and just not going all out from Tyrone, will be well in it at half time. In the second half Mayo switch into 6th gear and I think over the course of the half they have too much for Tyrone to live with. Pull away in the end to win by ~5 points.

I think if Tyrone give away the amount of soft frees they did against Kerry it could be crucial, but I would've relied on Gough to give them more consistently.

I expect Mullin to start and McLaughlin at least to be named on the 26.
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

imtommygunn

The match ups will be very interesting. Who does keegan pick up, who does Hampsey pick up. It'll be very interesting who meyler picks up. I think he might pick up diarmuid O'Connor.

O'Shea would have a lot more joy against that Tyrone midfield too.

Mayo4Sam14

I think Tyrone need a five point lead at half time, and I don't think they will (or I pray they don't)

WhoDat

Quote from: larryin89 on September 05, 2021, 11:59:33 AM
Mayo wont lose this one , mayo are the best team in Ireland at present and will win this comfortably  by a bigger margin than anyone will predict .

i actually agree. mayo will win it comfortably enough i feel. tyrone just have an awful lot to think about with regards to match ups etc. - who do they put on o'donoghue and conroy, who do they tackle first durcan or keegan (what if keegan is released up the field??), where will o'shea play and who will pick him up, what about the midfield battle (mayo have a distinct advantage here), what if oisin mullin emerges from the bench, or even more shockingly, what if mcloughlin makes a comeback, what do they do about the pace of hession? and and nothing they sprung tactically on kerry will come as a shock to mayo and probably won't work on them either. and as a result peter keane will be gone before halloween.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on September 05, 2021, 03:38:02 PM
I'm cautiously confident, however McQuillan over Gough has dampened my enthusiasm a little.

I think Mayo will start poorly again. But through a combination of indiscipline, poor shooting, and just not going all out from Tyrone, will be well in it at half time. In the second half Mayo switch into 6th gear and I think over the course of the half they have too much for Tyrone to live with. Pull away in the end to win by ~5 points.

I think if Tyrone give away the amount of soft frees they did against Kerry it could be crucial, but I would've relied on Gough to give them more consistently.

I expect Mullin to start and McLaughlin at least to be named on the 26.

The keeper match up will be crucial. Maybe this is my bias, because I've always been a massive supporter and defender of Robbie Hennelly. But, while they both have a mistake in them, I think Morgan is far more erratic, and I think Mayo could make a hay on his lockouts in crucial times of the match

Mayo4Sam14

The Aidan OS question is interesting. *If* he does start it has to be a kind of centre forward ish role, drifting into a third midfield role when need to give DOC and Ruane a bit of height and steel and sometimes drifting into full forward when it's on

thewobbler

I would think most teams who've played against Mayo the past decade have encountered this problem. They're usually very predictable in their line ups, but are still somehow really unpredictable in their play. Even when Aidan is parked at the edge of the square they'll ignore him for long periods of time.

I think that's why they're so much fun to watch. They're exceptionally well conditioned, super competitive, highly skilled, and hugely confident players - but they aren't over coached. They tend to play it as they see it.

Tyrone might be going that way too. But it'll take them a few years to unburden Harte's shackles. Mickey is rightly on the highest pedestal of Tyrone legends, but by f**k he dragged his county into a mess of robotic anti-football before being pushed out.

Mon Mayo

MayoBuck

Will McShane start? It's probably easier to deal with him from the start when all defenders are fresh.

From a Mayo point of view, I'd be worried Conroy and O'Donoghue could get bottled up in the Tyrone defence. However Stephen O'Brien did cause some trouble running at Tyrone and Conroy is probably a better version of O'Brien. Gavin White also did well carrying the ball at pace and we've 3 or 4 players made for that. We have got caught out previously against defensive sides, committing too many forward, bringing the ball into traffic and being caught on the break.

We should have the edge in midfield, but then again so did Kerry. Hennelly and Morgan have a very mixed record with free kicks. It could simply come down to that in the end.