AIF 2021 -- Maigh Eo vs Tír Eoghain

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, August 28, 2021, 06:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayop

Quote from: thewobbler on September 01, 2021, 08:32:59 PM
Quote from: hoynevalley on September 01, 2021, 07:17:47 PM
Quote from: Silkyskillssunshinee on September 01, 2021, 06:35:38 PM
Quote from: hoynevalley on September 01, 2021, 05:29:07 PM
Are Brendan Harrison and Enda Hession in contention to start for Mayo.  Will Tyrone start McShane or Canavan? Will O'Shea be moved to centre field and Tyrone weakness?

Harrison only got a few minutes in extra-time the last day, so I doubt he's fit to start. Hession was very impressive when he came on with his pace and lack of fear breaking the Dublin defensive lines in that second half so he should definitely be in contention.

McShane should be sprung off the bench where he's been most effective. Canavan is very young and hasn't played much this year due to injury, so I think the Tyrone management will side with experience on the big day.

James Horan should drop O'Shea. He was a liability against Dublin with his inability to track runners. He's just not suited to the wide open spaces of Croke Park.

Oshea struggles against Dublin and Kerry as teams superior athletes around the middle.  Unless Tyrone put McKenna on OShea will struggle against his physicality.

Not sure I'd have said "struggles", until the past 2 outings against Dublin when as well as being exposed for speed regularly at midfield, he clearly missed having his henchmen Seamie and Tom alongside him for the aerial duels. Mayo used to be able to spread the 3 of them across the middle third and they didn't need a whole pile of pace as long as the keepers were kicking it long. They won more than their share and had a habit of locking opponents in when they didn't.

Tyrone could try to set up a game plan to outrun O'Shea and wear the legs off him, but I can't see them winning enough primary possession in the middle third to make it a feature of the game. They'll be reliant on working it out from the back, which will allow Mayo numbers back. If they kick long time O'Shea, they won't win the ball.

They wont. They will go long. It malfunctioned against Kerry but retaining possession from kick outs by going short to a corner back is something Morgan has come out and said that they have moved away from because while it pads his stats for ball retantion it's completely useless in terms of getting scores.

Kerry won 100% of their kick outs the last day and only crossed the 45  once. 4 scores is all they got.

The Trap

Thought and hoped David Gough would be the ref. He is the best in my view.......from what I have seen Joe gets a lot of big calls wrong, doesn't let the game flow and can lean in one direction or the other. He will probably have a bearing on the outcome in one way or another.......one question.....would this match be decided on penalties if needed or go to a replay? Definitely think it should be a replay and not penalties!

rrhf

Quote from: J70 on September 01, 2021, 06:44:05 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 01, 2021, 06:41:17 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on September 01, 2021, 05:51:10 PM
Quote from: hoynevalley on September 01, 2021, 02:36:58 PM
Quote from: joemamas on September 01, 2021, 02:21:24 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 01, 2021, 01:44:06 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on September 01, 2021, 01:42:18 PM
Joe McQuillan confirmed as the ref for this All-Ireland final.

Was hoping for Gough.

+1 way more assertive, McQuillan is not.
Advantage Tyrone, as he is an Ulster Referee, Tyrone will be very well aware of how far they can push the boundries, which TBH they are very good at.
Was at the game on Saturday and watched the entire game again last night , got confirmation of that.
Not a slight on Tyrone by any manner of means, as they were the better team on Saturday.

Dublin Joe has been very generous to Mayo againat the Dubs 2012  2013 and 2015. James Horan called him out after 2011. McQuillian had no choice but to send off Don Vaughan in 2017 final.  Listen ye are favourites and have the better team. No need to be whining about referee. Some Mayo supporters are never happy 🙄🙄🙄

He absolutely did have choice. It was stupid from Vaughan, but never a red and absolutely was only given to even up the numbers

It was one of the most straight forward reds for a referee to give in All-Ireland final. That final was there for Mayo to win and that moment of madness from Vaughan was the games turning point.
ho knows

Yes, any annoyance on that red should be solely focused on Vaughan.

I'm sure he regrets what he did to this day.
Who knows didn't he swap his home clubfor a big club not much more than a  month later... not too many would do that..is he still playing..

Jayop

Quote from: The Trap on September 01, 2021, 10:20:56 PM
Thought and hoped David Gough would be the ref. He is the best in my view.......from what I have seen Joe gets a lot of big calls wrong, doesn't let the game flow and can lean in one direction or the other. He will probably have a bearing on the outcome in one way or another.......one question.....would this match be decided on penalties if needed or go to a replay? Definitely think it should be a replay and not penalties!

Above all refs that seems to pick one side for special attention Gough is the worst and he's the fussiest.

rrhf

I will say again. Why are Mayo people giving out about the ref and the ball hasn't been thrown in.... get on with it and get over it ffs

highorlow

QuoteI will say again. Why are Mayo people giving out about the ref and the ball hasn't been thrown in.... get on with it and get over it ffs

We are moaning c***ts by nature. Probably Cromwells fault 😀
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

fearsiuil

Quote from: rrhf on September 01, 2021, 10:40:48 PM

Was hoping for Gough.

Advantage Tyrone, as he is an Ulster Referee, Tyrone will be very well aware of how far they can push the boundries, which TBH they are very good at.
Was at the game on Saturday and watched the entire game again last night , got confirmation of that.
Not a slight on Tyrone by any manner of means, as they were the better team on Saturday.

Dublin Joe has been very generous to Mayo againat the Dubs 2012  2013 and 2015. James Horan called him out after 2011. McQuillian had no choice but to send off Don Vaughan in 2017 final.  Listen ye are favourites and have the better team. No need to be whining about referee. Some Mayo supporters are never happy 🙄🙄🙄

He absolutely did have choice. It was stupid from Vaughan, but never a red and absolutely was only given to even up the numbers

It was one of the most straight forward reds for a referee to give in All-Ireland final. That final was there for Mayo to win and that moment of madness from Vaughan was the games turning point.
ho knows

Who knows didn't he swap his home clubfor a big club not much more than a  month later... not too many would do that..is he still playing..
Still playing with Castlebar Mitchels. Paul Donaghy moved to Dungannon from a neighbouring small senior club didn't he?

Jayop

Quote from: rrhf on September 01, 2021, 10:56:07 PM
I will say again. Why are Mayo people giving out about the ref and the ball hasn't been thrown in.... get on with it and get over it ffs

I'm from Tyrone if you're referring to me.

hoynevalley

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 01, 2021, 09:50:19 PM
Drop O'Shea!? O'connor not big enough to play against the Tyrone Midfield

Oconnor cleaned Fenton the last day.

hoynevalley

Quote from: fearsiuil on September 01, 2021, 11:40:15 PM

Was hoping for Gough.

ho knows

Still playing with Castlebar Mitchels. Paul Donaghy moved to Dungannon from a neighbouring small senior club didn't he?

Did Donie return to Ballinrobe?

fearsiuil

Quote from: hoynevalley on September 02, 2021, 12:03:55 AM

Was hoping for Gough.

ho knows

Are you too stupid to read my short post you quoted? See in bold.

hoynevalley

Quote from: fearsiuil on September 02, 2021, 10:47:04 AM
Quote from: hoynevalley on September 02, 2021, 12:03:55 AM

Was hoping for Gough.

ho knows

Are you too stupid to read my short post you quoted? See in bold.

I thought he had transferred home. Relax the cacks Timmy.

inroundthesquare

Guessing some potential match-ups.. assuming similar team selection

Morgan

Hampsey v Conroy
McNamee v O'Shea
McKernan v O'Donoghue

M'O'Neill v Loftus
Burns v McHale
Harte v K. McLoughlin

Kennedy v O'Connor
Kilpatrick v Ruane

K.McGeary v Durcan
Sludden v Plunkett
Meyler v Coen

McKenna v Hession
M. Donnelly v Keegan
McCurry v O'Hora

Hennelly

SUBS:

Harrison, Mullin, Walsh, Carr, Flynn, C O'Shea, D. Coen

McShane, McCann, Canavan, Bradley, R. Brennan, McDonnell, Rafferty

thewobbler

I'd put my house on O'Shea playing almost the full match at midfield, DOC picking up McGeary, Keegan playing firmly at 6 no matter who plays CHF for Tyrone, and O'Hora picking up McShane. Wouldn't be surprised to see Durcan or Mullen moved back onto McCurry.

MayoBuck

O'Hora will pick up McCurry I'd say as he's the one Tyrone forward guaranteed to stay inside. Could also pick up McShane if he starts. Maybe Keegan on Donnelly and Durcan on McKenna or vice versa.