Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, August 28, 2021, 06:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on September 01, 2021, 05:51:10 PM
Quote from: hoynevalley on September 01, 2021, 02:36:58 PM
Quote from: joemamas on September 01, 2021, 02:21:24 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 01, 2021, 01:44:06 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on September 01, 2021, 01:42:18 PM
Joe McQuillan confirmed as the ref for this All-Ireland final.

Was hoping for Gough.

+1 way more assertive, McQuillan is not.
Advantage Tyrone, as he is an Ulster Referee, Tyrone will be very well aware of how far they can push the boundries, which TBH they are very good at.
Was at the game on Saturday and watched the entire game again last night , got confirmation of that.
Not a slight on Tyrone by any manner of means, as they were the better team on Saturday.

Dublin Joe has been very generous to Mayo againat the Dubs 2012  2013 and 2015. James Horan called him out after 2011. McQuillian had no choice but to send off Don Vaughan in 2017 final.  Listen ye are favourites and have the better team. No need to be whining about referee. Some Mayo supporters are never happy 🙄🙄🙄

He absolutely did have choice. It was stupid from Vaughan, but never a red and absolutely was only given to even up the numbers

It was one of the most straight forward reds for a referee to give in All-Ireland final. That final was there for Mayo to win and that moment of madness from Vaughan was the games turning point.

Jayop

I'd absolutely be starting McShane now for the final. He came on after 43 minutes in the semi, so played around 60 minutes at full championship intensity and bar a handling error when he first came on he looked great.

J70

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 01, 2021, 06:41:17 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on September 01, 2021, 05:51:10 PM
Quote from: hoynevalley on September 01, 2021, 02:36:58 PM
Quote from: joemamas on September 01, 2021, 02:21:24 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 01, 2021, 01:44:06 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on September 01, 2021, 01:42:18 PM
Joe McQuillan confirmed as the ref for this All-Ireland final.

Was hoping for Gough.

+1 way more assertive, McQuillan is not.
Advantage Tyrone, as he is an Ulster Referee, Tyrone will be very well aware of how far they can push the boundries, which TBH they are very good at.
Was at the game on Saturday and watched the entire game again last night , got confirmation of that.
Not a slight on Tyrone by any manner of means, as they were the better team on Saturday.

Dublin Joe has been very generous to Mayo againat the Dubs 2012  2013 and 2015. James Horan called him out after 2011. McQuillian had no choice but to send off Don Vaughan in 2017 final.  Listen ye are favourites and have the better team. No need to be whining about referee. Some Mayo supporters are never happy 🙄🙄🙄

He absolutely did have choice. It was stupid from Vaughan, but never a red and absolutely was only given to even up the numbers

It was one of the most straight forward reds for a referee to give in All-Ireland final. That final was there for Mayo to win and that moment of madness from Vaughan was the games turning point.

Yes, any annoyance on that red should be solely focused on Vaughan.

I'm sure he regrets what he did to this day.

hoynevalley

Quote from: Silkyskillssunshinee on September 01, 2021, 06:35:38 PM
Quote from: hoynevalley on September 01, 2021, 05:29:07 PM
Are Brendan Harrison and Enda Hession in contention to start for Mayo.  Will Tyrone start McShane or Canavan? Will O'Shea be moved to centre field and Tyrone weakness?

Harrison only got a few minutes in extra-time the last day, so I doubt he's fit to start. Hession was very impressive when he came on with his pace and lack of fear breaking the Dublin defensive lines in that second half so he should definitely be in contention.

McShane should be sprung off the bench where he's been most effective. Canavan is very young and hasn't played much this year due to injury, so I think the Tyrone management will side with experience on the big day.

James Horan should drop O'Shea. He was a liability against Dublin with his inability to track runners. He's just not suited to the wide open spaces of Croke Park.

Very impressed with Hession. What age is he?

hoynevalley

Are Brendan Harrison and Enda Hession in contention to start for Mayo.  Will Tyrone start McShane or Canavan? Will O'Shea be moved to centre field and Tyrone weakness?

Harrison only got a few minutes in extra-time the last day, so I doubt he's fit to start. Hession was very impressive when he came on with his pace and lack of fear breaking the Dublin defensive lines in that second half so he should definitely be in contention.

McShane should be sprung off the bench where he's been most effective. Canavan is very young and hasn't played much this year due to injury, so I think the Tyrone management will side with experience on the big day.

James Horan should drop O'Shea. He was a liability against Dublin with his inability to track runners. He's just not suited to the wide open spaces of Croke Park.

Oshea struggles against Dublin and Kerry as teams superior athletes around the middle.  Unless Tyrone put McKenna on OShea will struggle against his physicality.

larryin89

Just reading there will be no extra time if needed . Wasnt it up on website only last week there would be ET but no penalties?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

hoynevalley

Quote from: larryin89 on September 01, 2021, 08:15:18 PM
Just reading there will be no extra time if needed . Wasnt it up on website only last week there would be ET but no penalties?

Think All Ireland final will be replay if drawn game?

larryin89

Yeah ,that's been reported now this evening but I'm asking wasnt it pencilled in for extra time originally?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

thewobbler

Quote from: hoynevalley on September 01, 2021, 07:17:47 PM

Oshea struggles against Dublin and Kerry as teams superior athletes around the middle.  Unless Tyrone put McKenna on OShea will struggle against his physicality.

Not sure I'd have said "struggles", until the past 2 outings against Dublin when as well as being exposed for speed regularly at midfield, he clearly missed having his henchmen Seamie and Tom alongside him for the aerial duels. Mayo used to be able to spread the 3 of them across the middle third and they didn't need a whole pile of pace as long as the keepers were kicking it long. They won more than their share and had a habit of locking opponents in when they didn't.

Tyrone could try to set up a game plan to outrun O'Shea and wear the legs off him, but I can't see them winning enough primary possession in the middle third to make it a feature of the game. They'll be reliant on working it out from the back, which will allow Mayo numbers back. If they kick long time O'Shea, they won't win the ball.

Blowitupref

Reading where? From GAA ie

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Tubberman

Quote from: Blowitupref on September 01, 2021, 08:39:20 PM
Reading where? From GAA ie

Connaught Telegraph reporting that John Prenty said there wouldn't be extra time
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Hound

Would have been some profitable year without Covid with 2 AI semi final replays!
Maybe someone thought let's not bother with ET for the final and get some more in for the replay

Chimley

Quote from: hoynevalley on September 01, 2021, 07:15:08 PM

Hession was eligible for the U-20s this year but I'm not sure what exact age he is.

Nanderson

Quote from: Chimley on September 01, 2021, 09:24:47 PM
Quote from: hoynevalley on September 01, 2021, 07:15:08 PM

Hession was eligible for the U-20s this year but I'm not sure what exact age he is.
I have a funny feeling there will word from the Mayo camp before the final the O'Shea has an injury and isn't fit to start and that way Horan doesn't technically drop him but he knows that he held them back against Dublin and he can bring him on sometime in 2nd half depending on how that game is going

Wildweasel74

Drop O'Shea!? O'connor not big enough to play against the Tyrone Midfield