AIF 2021 -- Maigh Eo vs Tír Eoghain

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, August 28, 2021, 06:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: An Watcher on August 28, 2021, 11:01:40 PM
No All Ireland winners on either team but Mayo carrying a hell of alot more baggage with regards to losing them.  Hopefully Tyrone will be able to take advantage somehow

Tyrone have had their fair share of coming up short the last decade! There is plenty of baggage there also, so get off of your high horse!

Armagh Girl

Congratulations to Tyrone on their Fantastic display today.  Thought McGeary had a great game and well deserved Man of Match (loved his interview)....Now you have to go on an Win it.....Good Luck for the Final as it is sure to be a great game!

Blowitupref

No All Ireland winners on either team but Mayo carrying a hell of alot more baggage with regards to losing them.  Hopefully Tyrone will be able to take advantage somehow

2016 U21 and 2013 minor All-Ireland winners on the Mayo team the latter was beating Tyrone in the final.

Tyrone won the U21 All-Ireland in 2015 with a simliar management team. A few won Minor All-Ireland medals in 2008 and 2010.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Armagh Girl on August 28, 2021, 11:15:30 PM
Congratulations to Tyrone on their Fantastic display today.  Thought McGeary had a great game and well deserved Man of Match (loved his interview)....Now you have to go on an Win it.....Good Luck for the Final as it is sure to be a great game!

Thank you, Cailín Ard Mhacha!  :)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Farrandeelin

Quote from: An Watcher on August 28, 2021, 10:18:11 PM
Big opportunity for Mayo but also a big opportunity for Tyrone.  Fantastic to have a final without the dubs or kerry.  Donegal Mayo last one?

Yep. And the team that knocked Kerry out won that one. Plus Mayo lost two finals to Ulster opposition, Cavan in 1948 and the 2012 final. Could be another one in two weeks time too.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Estimator

I'd assume Gough will get the final. Lane and Coldrick got the two semi-finals.
Ulster League Champions 2009

seafoid

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 28, 2021, 08:00:07 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on August 28, 2021, 07:57:58 PM
Mayo will be favourites imho. However the favourites lost both semi finals, who knows what way it will go.

Hmmm, but Tyrone knocked out the heretofore favourites so they'll probably be favourites for this game.
That will.suit Mayo. In 2001 the team that beat Kerry in the semifinal were unbackable in the final. The team from Connacht hammered them.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

yellowcard

If the 2 semi finals are anything to go by this will be a real war of attrition. Even though both sides had monumental victories against the odds in the semi final, both sides have a lot of improvement to make in terms of quality for the final. It is hard to quantify exactly the confidence boost that each side would have gained from their semi final victories but this shouldn't be underestimated.

Mayo will have to decide whether to start O'Se and I suspect that they probably will. He was poor the last day but he does bring an enormous level of physicality, he just probably shouldn't be deployed isolated close to goal. He is capable of winning a lot of ball around midfield against that Tyrone midfield and that is one area where Mayo would expect to come out on top.

Tyrone you would feel have to start Mc Shane based on yesterday's cameo, without him
they would not have won that match and he brings a ball winning capability inside that McCurry can't provide.

Both sides also now have to face a complete mindset change going into the final. Both will now see this as a great opportunity of lifting Sam and that brings a totally different pressure. Mayo possibly moreso as they are favourites going into a final for the first time in living memory.

The extra weeks will not really matter too much although a 4 week gap for Mayo is not ideal especially since I would imagine that a lot of their analysis and tactical work would have been predicated on them facing Kerry in the final.

Really difficult match to call but if the semi finals are anything to go by then it will be a bruising encounter as both sides play high octane physical games.

Armamike

Surely nobody could begrudge Mayo winning this one.

Will Mayo be happier they're not up against Dublin or Kerry? Would guess they won't have the same mental hangups playing Tyrone.

Tyrone are pretty mundane but they're well drilled, composed and efficient.  It's taken them this far. They won't lack self-belief.

Mayo should learn from Kerry's mistakes in over carrying the ball constantly into the middle of the Tyrone defence.

Would expect Mayo to be ravenous for this but hard one to call.  The law of averages says they have to eventually win one but it's hard to trust them in a final.  They're going to have to some way find that composure and clinical edge they've missed at key times in previous finals they should have won.

It's a final so as always, expect the unexpected.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 28, 2021, 11:07:38 PM

Tyrone have had their fair share of coming up short the last decade! There is plenty of baggage there also, so get off of your high horse!

I didn't think you followed the football itself anymore. Good to see you posting without mentioning Dublin or money.

imtommygunn

How many all Ireland finals have Tyrone lost? For me they don't lose winnable finals - the Dublin one wasn't winnable and this is going back a while but the 86 one wasn't either. Kerry and Dublin were just too good. The three they won were touch and go if they would win but when it was tight they got it done.

This is a hard one to call. I think Mayo are a bit better but I expect them to be very nervous too which will level it out a bit. I have a feeling that will swing it tyrone's way and they will win.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: yellowcard on August 29, 2021, 10:28:11 AM
If the 2 semi finals are anything to go by this will be a real war of attrition. Even though both sides had monumental victories against the odds in the semi final, both sides have a lot of improvement to make in terms of quality for the final. It is hard to quantify exactly the confidence boost that each side would have gained from their semi final victories but this shouldn't be underestimated.

Mayo will have to decide whether to start O'Se and I suspect that they probably will. He was poor the last day but he does bring an enormous level of physicality, he just probably shouldn't be deployed isolated close to goal. He is capable of winning a lot of ball around midfield against that Tyrone midfield and that is one area where Mayo would expect to come out on top.

Tyrone you would feel have to start Mc Shane based on yesterday's cameo, without him
they would not have won that match and he brings a ball winning capability inside that McCurry can't provide.

Both sides also now have to face a complete mindset change going into the final. Both will now see this as a great opportunity of lifting Sam and that brings a totally different pressure. Mayo possibly moreso as they are favourites going into a final for the first time in living memory.

The extra weeks will not really matter too much although a 4 week gap for Mayo is not ideal especially since I would imagine that a lot of their analysis and tactical work would have been predicated on them facing Kerry in the final.

Really difficult match to call but if the semi finals are anything to go by then it will be a bruising encounter as both sides play high octane physical games.
O'Sé was pretty poor alright in the last game but I believe he was carrying a heel injury into the game so that may be the reason for him being below par.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 29, 2021, 12:32:16 PM
How many all Ireland finals have Tyrone lost? For me they don't lose winnable finals - the Dublin one wasn't winnable and this is going back a while but the 86 one wasn't either. Kerry and Dublin were just too good. The three they won were touch and go if they would win but when it was tight they got it done.

This is a hard one to call. I think Mayo are a bit better but I expect them to be very nervous too which will level it out a bit. I have a feeling that will swing it tyrone's way and they will win.
The 95 final  produced great music.

https://youtu.be/cxeAr3n2Ous
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

RedHand88

Quote from: seafoid on August 29, 2021, 01:08:40 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 29, 2021, 12:32:16 PM

The 95 final  produced great music.

https://youtu.be/cxeAr3n2Ous

Even before I clicked the link I knew what it was going to be. A classic tune.

imtommygunn

I forgot about 95. That was a very strange one with the redmond thing. Ok this century they have won the winnable ones lol.