Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

Harte, Cody and a few other managers voiced support for Carthy in his spite with RTE. Murray did a pretty derogatory sketch on Harte after Michaela's murder and finished on the "Pretty, little girl from Omagh". Harte was offended, asked for an apology and didn't get it so refused interviews. As far as I know the Tyrone lads are free to talk to RTE but alot of the older crew stuck by Harte and boycotted RTE, it has since kinda inadvertently become the default position so that you'd be a ballsy f**ker to be the 1 man on the squad to rail against the status quo. Harte isn't enforcing the ban but at the same time he wouldn't just be embracing a resolution either.

I see no problem, it's a disagreement and all involved have made free choices as regards it. If neither seem fit to compromise their positions then there will be no resolution.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

BennyHarp

Quote from: Knock Yer Mucker In on March 24, 2014, 07:33:44 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on March 24, 2014, 04:48:08 PM
It relates back to a row over a sketch that the John Murray show on RTE radio1 did regarding Michaela Harte. If memory serves me right the song 'pretty little girl from Omagh' was involved. Harte sought an apology and none was forthcoming so he withdrew from commenting to all RTE media outlets. I'm sure the players fully supported him in this stance rather than him laying the law down himself regarding RTE's access to the players.

Still don't get why he would be upset about that? Was it something derogatory in the sketch towards Michaela? Was it after her untimely passing ?

Are you serious?
That was never a square ball!!

God14

Quote from: trileacman on March 25, 2014, 12:34:16 AM
Harte, Cody and a few other managers voiced support for Carthy in his spite with RTE. Murray did a pretty derogatory sketch on Harte after Michaela's murder and finished on the "Pretty, little girl from Omagh". Harte was offended, asked for an apology and didn't get it so refused interviews. As far as I know the Tyrone lads are free to talk to RTE but alot of the older crew stuck by Harte and boycotted RTE, it has since kinda inadvertently become the default position so that you'd be a ballsy f**ker to be the 1 man on the squad to rail against the status quo. Harte isn't enforcing the ban but at the same time he wouldn't just be embracing a resolution either.

I see no problem, it's a disagreement and all involved have made free choices as regards it. If neither seem fit to compromise their positions then there will be no resolution.

Spot on. That's it in a nutshell.

After Joe Brollys OTT attack on Sean Cavanagh last July however, I felt that we needed someone to speak to RTE. Joe had 'free digs' if you like to mouth off all he likes knowing there will be no reply & hence not held to account.
Maybe going forward its time for Tyrone to appoint an individual to offer an after match interview. Ciaran McLaughlin would be a good choice IMHO. Very close to whats happening in the squad & with the management team, but in essence not actually a part of it.

EC Unique

Quote from: God14 on March 25, 2014, 08:49:03 AM

After Joe Brollys OTT attack on Sean Cavanagh last July however, I felt that we needed someone to speak to RTE. Joe had 'free digs' if you like to mouth off all he likes knowing there will be no reply & hence not held to account.
Maybe going forward its time for Tyrone to appoint an individual to offer an after match interview. Ciaran McLaughlin would be a good choice IMHO. Very close to whats happening in the squad & with the management team, but in essence not actually a part of it.

A reply is exactly what Brolly was fishing for. F%*K him and RTE. Do the talking on the pitch.

BennyHarp

Quote from: EC Unique on March 25, 2014, 09:16:19 AM
Quote from: God14 on March 25, 2014, 08:49:03 AM

A reply is exactly what Brolly was fishing for. F%*K him and RTE. Do the talking on the pitch.

Exactly, If RTE want to go down the road of tabloid analysis of games to get maximum exposure for their attention craving analysts then I'm glad Tyrone are having no part of it. RTE would have loved a live interview with Sean after the Monaghan game to further boost their ratings and fan the flames that Brolly ignited, but quite rightly Sean gave that interview to Newstalk. There's plenty of other media outlets to use if we want to get the point across and until RTE start to take responsibility for what they say and do (The Micheala thing was an absolute disgrace) and begin to report matches in a professional way, then I say leave them to it. The sooner Sky get to cover the games the better and they will most likely show RTE up to be the amateurish organisation that they are.

ardtole

It was a dreadful piece of radio on a par with the worst of the tabloid press in the UK. Appalling and cruel, Mickey Harte is well within his rights to boycott RTE over it and if I was a member of the tyrone panel I would do the same. It was a cheap publicity stunt on the Murrays behalf and I personally wouldnt listen to his show since that particular episode. I think Rte may have apologised for offence caused to the Hartes but as far as I know Murray hasnt although I am open to correction on this.

orangeman

Do you think RTE really give a toss whether Sean Cavanagh speaks to Newstalk or to RTE after a match ?

RTE have the whip hand at the minute and their ratings don't go down or up whether or not Sean Cavanagh or Tyrone speak to them or not. RTE are smart enough to realise that people will watch the match and then wait for Brolly, Spillane and O'Rourke to provide the real entertainment as they and others see it. ITV have realised that Roy Keane will get people to tune in to their station.

There's no need for proper analysis - the more controversy the better. Brolly is the undisputed king of winding merchants and controversy/ entertainment.

BennyHarp

Quote from: orangeman on March 25, 2014, 10:09:21 AM
Do you think RTE really give a toss whether Sean Cavanagh speaks to Newstalk or to RTE after a match ?

RTE have the whip hand at the minute and their ratings don't go down or up whether or not Sean Cavanagh or Tyrone speak to them or not. RTE are smart enough to realise that people will watch the match and then wait for Brolly, Spillane and O'Rourke to provide the real entertainment as they and others see it. ITV have realised that Roy Keane will get people to tune in to their station.

There's no need for proper analysis - the more controversy the better. Brolly is the undisputed king of winding merchants and controversy/ entertainment.

Absolutely! Do you really think the RTE bosses wouldnt have wanted to show Sean's reaction live on air? Great TV for those after entertainment. Your further points just give further reasons why RTE would have "loved it" - perhaps expecting a Kevin Keegan moment!  ;)

orangeman

Quote from: BennyHarp on March 25, 2014, 10:36:25 AM
Quote from: orangeman on March 25, 2014, 10:09:21 AM

Absolutely! Do you really think the RTE bosses wouldnt have wanted to show Sean's reaction live on air? Great TV for those after entertainment. Your further points just give further reasons why RTE would have "loved it" - perhaps expecting a Kevin Keegan moment!  ;)

The only problem in not talking to then is that RTE can take as many free digs at Tyrone as they like. Looking back at last year, I thought that all the talk about cynical fouling that was being blamed it seemed almost exclusively on Tyrone, caught up with them with referees believing the hype and punishing them rightly or wrongly as a result of the anti Tyrone propaganda being spouted by Joe and RTE. Left unchallenged, this can only be a negative. Ferguson didn't talk to BBC for a long while but he sent a spokesperson to do so. I'm not advocating that as RTE behaved in a disgraceful manner in relation to the John Murray show and we have to respect how Mickey Harte felt then and still does.

Under Lights

Be interesting if Tyrone were to win an All Ireland and the primary television station couldn't get an interview off anyone. What would happen with the televised banquet.

blewuporstuffed

Eamon Sweenys take on it
Tyrone stance has decency on its side
EAMONN SWEENEY – UPDATED 05 MAY 2013 04:06 AM

I'm glad to see that Tyrone footballers will be boycotting RTE coverage for the third championship summer in a row. Not because I've anything against the RTE sports department but because it's good to see people sticking by their principles.

We're talking about respect. Back in August 2011, only a few months after Tyrone manager Mickey Harte's daughter had been murdered in Mauritius, RTE's John Murray Show broadcast a sketch which lampooned Harte as a kind of idiot for going to see the Dalai Lama and included the song, 'Pretty Little Girl From Omagh In The County Of Tyrone'.

It was horrible stuff. But the worst thing about it was the ignoble motivation behind the skit. Harte was, at the time, one of a number of inter-county managers who had criticised RTE management for not promoting GAA correspondent Brian Carthy.

So the sketch smacked of sycophants having a go at Harte in order to ingratiate themselves with their bosses.

Or, worse again, of Mickey Harte being taught a lesson about what happened to people who dared cross the national broadcaster. Gotcha Mickey.

It took RTE three days before they decided to furnish an apology, an apology which you'd have to say didn't exactly reek of wholeheartedness

Actually, it's unbelievable stuff. A group of people decided to take the piss out of a Tyrone man whose daughter had been murdered by playing a song about a girl from Tyrone.

Think about it. Murray continues to purvey his brand of wacky fun on RTE Radio. Meanwhile, Mickey Harte and his family have had to get on with their lives.

So it's strange to see the Tyrone boycott being portrayed as something surprising or even unreasonable. In reality, the team and the county can do nothing else. Respect for Mickey Harte and the memory of Michaela McAreavey leaves them no choice.

The RTE boycott, far from being an infringement of press freedom, is actually a tribute to the integrity and spirit of the Tyrone footballers which says a lot about the kind of people they are.

There are more important things in life than a few post-match interviews.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

EC Unique

Quote from: Under Lights on March 25, 2014, 11:45:39 AM
Be interesting if Tyrone were to win an All Ireland and the primary television station couldn't get an interview off anyone. What would happen with the televised banquet.

RTE would be shitting themselves and tripping over each other trying to apologise.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: EC Unique on March 25, 2014, 12:28:43 PM

RTE would be shitting themselves and tripping over each other trying to apologise.

Be a while before you have to worry about that!

BennyHarp

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 25, 2014, 12:32:27 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on March 25, 2014, 12:28:43 PM

Be a while before you have to worry about that!

I don't think too many of us will be worrying about what RTE will do!

Knock Yer Mucker In

Thanks lads, that has helped me understand the situation, can't say that I disagree with Harte's stance on it  if that's the case.