Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 28, 2018, 01:56:52 PM
Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on July 28, 2018, 01:11:06 PM
Quote from: under the bar on July 28, 2018, 10:39:34 AM
Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on July 27, 2018, 09:17:58 PM
The World Cup has not been kind to United with the performances of their players being very ordinary, which is what Utd looked like last year.

Based on WC:
De Gea - Very average
Young - Steady/reliable/boring
Smalling/Mata/Herrera - didn't even make it to WC
Jones/Martial/Rashford - Couldn't get starting for their national team
Lingard - Just exactly what does he do on a football field, apart from waste chances?
Matic - Steady/Boring
Lukaku - Very poor form especially in big matches
Fellaini - had a good enough world cup, but only makes a mark when brought on as an impact sub.
Teams seem to be able to deal with him when he starts.
Rojo - Part of a disaster of an Argentina side. Being touted as part of the deal to bring Maguire to OT, so can't be that well thought of.

Two players at teams who didn't make it to the WC -  Bailly (constantly injured) and Sanchez (shocking loss of form)

IMO, only Pogba looked anything like a world class player at the tournament.

And now, the great white hype of the English media, Maguire, is set to join them for 80m!

2018/19 looking very boring already; where is the spark going to come from? - I hope I'm wrong.

What's your point?  Personally I'd be happier if no United player kicked a ball at the WC so they are fresh for the new season.

My point is simply that it was a poor world cup for United players.

Good luck with winning anything if you would be happy with a team made up of fresh sub international standard players!

So you base your opinion on how players perform in a cup competition with different players in different positions and when they didn't even play? Interesting

Stop the press! Man gives opinion on a discussion board on Utd players performances at The World Cup,
by.....assessing how they performed at the World Cup!
Sweet Melinda!
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Boycey

It's looks to me as if you're equating their performances in the World Cup with how United might perform this season?

If we're going down that road how about the current champions

Ederson - sub on an average Brazil team
Stones - Absolute brainfart in World Cup semi
Walker - solid, steady, boring
Delph - little used sub
Otimendi-Part of a disaster of an Argentina team
Gudogen-Didnt stand out in Germanys worst World Cup performance ever.
Sane- Wasn't even selected for Germanys worst World cup performance ever.
Aguero - Sub on a disaster of an Argentina team.
Jesus - Piss poor
De Bruyne -played well
Sterling - hmmmm

Feck, it's definitely Liverpool's year

gawa316

Quote from: Boycey on July 28, 2018, 05:36:25 PM
It's looks to me as if you're equating their performances in the World Cup with how United might perform this season?

If we're going down that road how about the current champions

Ederson - sub on an average Brazil team
Stones - Absolute brainfart in World Cup semi
Walker - solid, steady, boring
Delph - little used sub
Otimendi-Part of a disaster of an Argentina team
Gudogen-Didnt stand out in Germanys worst World Cup performance ever.
Sane- Wasn't even selected for Germanys worst World cup performance ever.
Aguero - Sub on a disaster of an Argentina team.
Jesus - Piss poor
De Bruyne -played well
Sterling - hmmmm

Feck, it's definitely Liverpool's year

Yip Lovren and Henderson will be bringing football home

mrdeeds

Jose joint favourite to be first manager gone.

gawa316

Quote from: mrdeeds on July 29, 2018, 01:58:51 PM
A few of his own might put a few bob on that. Threw everyone bar Sanchez and the tea lady under the bus after that loss

nrico2006

At this stage I wouldn't care if he went, his attitude is terrible and his treatment of players is getting beyond a joke.  The like of Sanchez has been terrible yet he gets praise, when there are others who have been good but get slated.  Doesn't make sense.  I don't blame Martial for wanting to go either, was having a very good season until January and was one of our best forwards yet Sanchez comes in and is played every week even though he was diabolical in every game.  The like of Martial got the odd game, and if he didn't produce a clutter of goals he was benched for another month or two. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Over the Bar

Quote from: gawa316 on July 30, 2018, 04:58:42 AM
Quote from: mrdeeds on July 29, 2018, 01:58:51 PM
A few of his own might put a few bob on that. Threw everyone bar Sanchez and the tea lady under the bus after that loss

Clever enough by Jose.  Send the youngsters out on a hiding to nothing v Liverpool and then bleat about the squad not being good enough to put pressure on Woodward to get transfer targets over the over line in the next 2 weeks.

awideisneverasgood

I would love to see Jose get the boot.
His latest tantrum on the USA tour is embarrassing.

I actually think the squad is pretty good and another manager would be able to get much more out of some of the players.

trailer

JM knows he's not good enough to win the league. The players are, but he's not. It typical from him, throw a tantrum and then get sacked, big payout, move on, not his fault. Utd need shot of him, but who do you get in?

magpie seanie

Glad to see some posters coming round to my opinion.....he never should have been considered for this job. Mourinho's comments over the course of the US tour have been disgraceful as usual. Another season is probably wasted now before it begins. Even that staunchest "wait and see" merchants must surelt be beginning to see United are heading for a meltdown. I just hope when he is sacked that the new manager can salvage something from it. Fixtures run is easy enough early on so it might prolong the agony.

A comment above mentioned about United being the best place for a young player to develop. It was, one time. Now it clearly isn't. Martial could be really special. The manager is doing everything in his power to hound him out of the club. Why? He's not a coach. He cannot develop players. He is a dictator with a plug and play "system" that he buys players to fit.

tiempo

Jose is a sad sad man, how he goes out and spunks a truckload of cash on players, agents and wages and then claims the world is against them is beyond me. Would agree he was a terrible selection to start with and is drawing towards its natural inevitable conclusion. I have to say I would enjoy an absolute meltdown of epic proportions just to see him squirm. It appears to me that Utd have built into the managers contract that as soon as its mathematically impossible to get top 4 they are out on a reduced package (only the Europa League saved Jose in his first season).

I wonder how long into a Moyes-esque omnishambles will Jose and the board face off before one brings an end to it before the maths. I can't see Jose leaving without squeezing every possible penny out of a payoff so he'll stay until the bitter end undermining everything around him at a whim. Any predictions for who this seasons target will be for a freeze out and any surprise entries to a regular starting berth? Could be double Belgian this year, Lukaku frozen out (Sanchez as striker), Fellaini somehow starting every game.

AZOffaly

The pessimism. I think United will finish top 3, and ahead of Liverpool.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 30, 2018, 03:26:48 PM
The pessimism. I think United will finish top 3, and ahead of Liverpool.
I think Liverpool will put in a big effort into the league this season and just come up short while chasing Man City. Man United will do well to finish in the top 4 with Spurs and Chelsea expecting to achieve top 4 finishes. Mourinho is very moany and probably looking to get sacked mid season and what he'll leave behind is a United squad made up of too many players that are either in poor form showing no signs of improvement or players that aren't good enough for a top 5 team.

tyroneman

When Mourinho  first came to Chelsea..a lot of people thought he was great, with the 'special one' comments and seemingly prepared to take on Ferguson and co at thier own PR / mind games

Everyone seemed to forget the absolute disgrace that was his Porto team in the Europa final v Celtic. A time wasting, diving shower who no more deserved to win that game.

No sympathy for him

Therealdonald

Quote from: tyroneman on July 30, 2018, 06:03:20 PM
When Mourinho  first came to Chelsea..a lot of people thought he was great, with the 'special one' comments and seemingly prepared to take on Ferguson and co at thier own PR / mind games

Everyone seemed to forget the absolute disgrace that was his Porto team in the Europa final v Celtic. A time wasting, diving shower who no more deserved to win that game.

No sympathy for him

Don't understand why we think Martial is hard done by?? Too inconsistent and too much of a sulk.