Owen Mulligan - 'Throw-In'

Started by ziggysego, June 30, 2008, 07:01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Quote from: tyroneman on June 30, 2008, 07:59:09 PM
QuoteBut he is a tyrone player, public interest etc.

Doesn't make it right. The Sun and the NOTW use that argument ad infinitum.

I'm sure he has no trouble benefiting from being in the public eye and therefore he has to take the good with the bad. 
The gentlelmen  of the game don't seem to have any problem with the media.

I'm sure you don't condem stories about other sports people?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

corn02

Quote from: tyroneman on June 30, 2008, 07:59:09 PM
QuoteBut he is a tyrone player, public interest etc.

Doesn't make it right. The Sun and the NOTW use that argument ad infinitum.

May or may not be right but it certainly justifies it.

ONeill

This is the same McSherry who deliberately twisted the words of Dessie Farrell in order to suit his (ultimately defeated) agenda in the public forum of journalism.

If Tony Fearon wants to call someone a name - that's his business. Says more about him and that's for others to judge. However, the rest of the thread was completely harmless and it's time we redeveloped the thick skin we used to have in terms of being able to have a laugh at ourselves within reason. I understand the need for 'nasty' intentions to be challenged and deleted, but to be honest I saw nothing beyond one person calling Mugsy a silly name. A bit childish if you ask me.

McSherry is also very naive if he does not understand the nature his work. Media in its many forms is an unstoppable force when it comes to intrusion and that's why it's Heat and OK mags that are the only forms of print that seem to be selling. Papers know that and that's why we have the Irish News breaking 'sensational' stories with the likes of thon gype Simon Doyle informing us how many pupils cannot spell the word 'clift' in Larne.

If I won the lottery tomorrow and went on a bender that weekend, the bender would be reported. It wouldn't have if I hadn't won the lottery. Mugsy is in the public eye, moreso than any other player in Tyrone bar Canavan. He knows any dubious actions will be reported. That doesn't make it right, but it's a modern phenomenon that ain't going away. Some can deal with it and keep their nose clean, others are maybe less careful. That's the way things are.

Again - nastiness should not be tolerated. But having a laugh at the expense of others as long as its within reason is a very Irish trait and there's nothing wrong with that at all.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ziggysego

Quote from: tyrone86 on June 30, 2008, 07:51:48 PM
Ziggy does McSherry ask you to reproduce these threads on the board, I think you posted his pay for play one as well where he came on to the board to defend the article

Nah. corn02 asked to see the articule, so I contacted Ronan to see if it would be ok to post. He seemed happy enough for me to do that.
Testing Accessibility

tyroneman

QuoteMay or may not be right but it certainly justifies it.

Strange moral compass you have there Corn............................

corn02

Not a personal view, just the world of journalism.

I am not saying it is right, all I am saying is that people would have bought the paper when seeing that story on the front.

gerry

there were bigger stories that day than the carry on in cookstown.  the irish news had it on their front page simply to sell papers and it probably worked.

as for mulligan you have to keep your noes cleaner than clean or it will make the papers.  i would have  expected  reporting like this from the tabloids not the IN.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Tyrone Dreamer

I've said it before but the local version of the sun up here is the biggest joke of all. Refuses to cover gaelic games at all, even in its local sports pullout on a Monday. Not 1 column inch given to the games. Yet last week they had a big headline about this story and how a gaa star was in trouble. If their readers have no interest in the games then why run this story. Complete bigots.

gerry

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on June 30, 2008, 09:00:10 PM
I've said it before but the local version of the sun up here is the biggest joke of all. Refuses to cover gaelic games at all, even in its local sports pullout on a Monday. Not 1 column inch given to the games. Yet last week they had a big headline about this story and how a gaa star was in trouble. If their readers have no interest in the games then why run this story. Complete bigots.

goes back to the eighties and their coverage of what went on here in the six counties
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

stiffler

I wouldnt clean my ass with the scum if i was out of bog roll.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Pangurban

GAA people should treat salacious reporting of the private lives of amateur players with the utter contempt it deserves and boycott the rags that indulge in it

AFS

Quote from: ONeill on June 30, 2008, 08:25:29 PM
This is the same McSherry who deliberately twisted the words of Dessie Farrell in order to suit his (ultimately defeated) agenda in the public forum of journalism.

If Tony Fearon wants to call someone a name - that's his business. Says more about him and that's for others to judge. However, the rest of the thread was completely harmless and it's time we redeveloped the thick skin we used to have in terms of being able to have a laugh at ourselves within reason. I understand the need for 'nasty' intentions to be challenged and deleted, but to be honest I saw nothing beyond one person calling Mugsy a silly name. A bit childish if you ask me.

McSherry is also very naive if he does not understand the nature his work. Media in its many forms is an unstoppable force when it comes to intrusion and that's why it's Heat and OK mags that are the only forms of print that seem to be selling. Papers know that and that's why we have the Irish News breaking 'sensational' stories with the likes of thon gype Simon Doyle informing us how many pupils cannot spell the word 'clift' in Larne.

If I won the lottery tomorrow and went on a bender that weekend, the bender would be reported. It wouldn't have if I hadn't won the lottery. Mugsy is in the public eye, moreso than any other player in Tyrone bar Canavan. He knows any dubious actions will be reported. That doesn't make it right, but it's a modern phenomenon that ain't going away. Some can deal with it and keep their nose clean, others are maybe less careful. That's the way things are.

Again - nastiness should not be tolerated. But having a laugh at the expense of others as long as its within reason is a very Irish trait and there's nothing wrong with that at all.

Excellent summation of the issue.

T Fearon

Loathe as I am to give this non entity who writes crap in a publication with a circulation of 23 readers any publicity, his hypocrisy here needs to be highlighted. Did he do anythng to defend young Mark Harte from the torrents of abuse from his own so called supporters which led to a premature end to his county career?

The fact is that just because a player scores a so called wonder goal in Croke Park or visits primary schools with the Sam Maguire does not exonerate him from the repercussions of thuggish behaviour. It is quite clear, whether the player is charged or not in connection with the said incident, that the incident did take place and he played a prominent and pivotal role therein.Was anyone realy surprised when they read this story in the Irish News, given the player's reputation.

As for Mr Mc Sherry let him have the courage as I do to come onto this Board and express his views without fear or favour and append his own name to them

BennyHarp

QuoteAs for Mr Mc Sherry let him have the courage as I do to come onto this Board and express his views without fear or favour and append his own name to them

::) My God what a brave man you are Fearon!!
That was never a square ball!!

T Fearon

I am appealing to Ziggy to post my response to him