Working From Home

Started by Taylor, January 13, 2021, 05:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

Like many posters I am currently working from home until it is safe to return to the office.

While the home schooling is a pain in the bollix but I am actually missing going into the office.

Anyone else similar?

Reason I ask is that I have been reading some companies are planning on keeping their staff homeworking.

If that happens to me I would consider looking for a new job.

Dont get me wrong, the commute is shit but I would still prefer to be in an office than sitting at home all day every day

WT4E

I'd have to agree.

I was use to working from home couple of days a week as my job has a long commute and they let me do it and use to love it as it was a good combination but I have to say I am dying to get back to the office as feel like i'm going mad in the house.

I was thinking that after covid that companies would start doing this and only today I was talking to a colleague in Scotland who is leaving the company and he has been offered a work from home contract.

New Norms!  :-\

brokencrossbar1

I'm loving working from home and definitely more productive. It was a pain at the start as we had no child care and working with a 6 month old isn't easy but since childcare kicked in it has gotten so much better. I still take runs into the office as needed but if I never have to go back full time I won't miss it!  Maybe it's my age and having been stuck in an office for nearly 20 odd years I'm happy to have freedom, I clock on at 8 finish most days by 4.30 and rarely need to work late. Nothing wrong with that

Ball Hopper

Working from home certainly requires a discipline that was not expected.

I've heard of a few working from who dress as if going to the office and actually get in the car and drive around for a few minutes before returning home and are thereby better prepared mentally for the day's work!!!  I haven't found that necessary yet, but sometimes it is hard to get into the "work" frame of mind immediately after leaving the kitchen. 

All in all though, I'd take home over office, but there are pitfalls...including spending too much time on work projects in a day.

Tony Baloney

Been WFH since just after St. Patrick's Day last year, with 1-2 days in the office per week. To be honest there were some few people in the office and with social distancing there was no real craic, so could easily work from home full time. At present I'm up to 5 days per week at home and there are definitely some technological shortcomings from being at home if need to scan a big document for example but with increased electronic documentation systems and even using Adobe Scan etc on the phone things are improving. Work was manic last year so there was a lot of working in the evenings but planning to reduce it this year.

gerrykeegan

The lad opposite me in the job slurpped his tea really loudly and drove me mad. I miss the f**ker now!
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

tonto1888

I changed roles at the end of august and can't do my new job form home. In my old role I was WFH from March to august and while it was ok at the start it got tiresome very quickly. You miss actual real life human interaction

gallsman

Quote from: Ball Hopper on January 13, 2021, 07:38:40 PM
Working from home certainly requires a discipline that was not expected.

I've heard of a few working from who dress as if going to the office and actually get in the car and drive around for a few minutes before returning home and are thereby better prepared mentally for the day's work!!!  I haven't found that necessary yet, but sometimes it is hard to get into the "work" frame of mind immediately after leaving the kitchen. 

All in all though, I'd take home over office, but there are pitfalls...including spending too much time on work projects in a day.

Twats. I can picture the LinkedIn posts now.

Working from home requires discipline and routine is important, but sort of shite is absolute nonsense.

ONeill

It's not a real job if you're able to work from home.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on January 13, 2021, 10:32:37 PM
It's not a real job if you're able to work from home.
I go out and chop wood on my lunch break and rub soil onto my skin. I like watching Cheers or Frasier at my morning tea so no rush back to the office.

Harold Disgracey

I've been working from home from last March and I can't see me being back in the office until autumn at the earliest.  I don't miss the 3 hour round trip to Belfast and have probably saved at least £100/week on commuting/coffee etc. Like BC I usually work from 8-4.30 and probably for the first time in my life my flexi is well up.

imtommygunn

I am not sure I'll even be back in the office this year.

We'd a table tennis table so I miss that but it's so much handier working from home for nursery pick ups etc.

When busy I've no problem working from home and get far more done. If quiet it does my nut in.

I just miss nice sandwiches and our work table tennis table.

Taylor

The lack of social interaction is hard to get used to.

No amount of zoom meetings can make up for that.

galwayman

I'm in the same boat as a lot of people on here in that I've been working exclusively from
home since last March.
There are positives and negatives to it.
I lived in Galway city for a long time but now live about 20 miles from the city where my office is but the morning commuter traffic is an absolute nightmare so that's one aspect I certainly don't miss.
Also I have young kids and I do get to see more of them during the week. When I was in the office they would often be in bed by the time I got home as I rarely left on time due to our workload.

I do definitely miss the social interaction of the office though and the buzz of the city (our office is slap bang in the city centre).
When things return to some form of normality I would say it will be a split week for me - probably 3 days in the office and 2 at home or vice versa.

Taylor

The split week would be ideal, unfortunately it isnt something we can do due to equipment needing to be stationery.