The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

What if what if what if.

What ifs are irrelevant in the face of actual events and facts.

George North is Welsh and plays for Wales. CJ Stander isn't Irish.

Trying to draw any sort of equivalence between the two is laughable.

Tony Baloney

I'm with Gallsman on this. You simply cannot compare lads parachuted in on a residency rule, to the detriment of locals players, with kids who grow up in the country they play for albeit after being born elsewhere.

I did a quick check, and of those Wales players mentioned, a good few have  been living in Wales since the age of 4 or younger. Even those who qualify though a relation are not valid comparisons with "rugby tourists".

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: gallsman on September 29, 2019, 07:26:20 AM
Quote from: weareros on September 29, 2019, 01:40:11 AM
Majority Eng, but foreign is foreign.

That's just not true at all.

Most of those are incomparable to, say, the case with Ali or Kleyn who have been pure project players.

George North's mother is Welsh and he's lived in Wales since he was a kid. He speaks frigging Welsh. He's Welsh in a way our lads will never be Irish. Not the same at all.

Wales have been using the granny rule like big Jack for about the last 20 years. They have always had a large number of English lads playing. George North maybe not the best example of this though as you could then claim oGara and Heaslip were foreigners! Ican't think of too many recent Irish caps from the diaspora, Addison? As for the residency thing it's a farce but everyone does it thankfully it will be extended to 5 years. The worst offender was Ricky flutey. Qualified for England and a few months later moved to play club rugby in France.

JPGJOHNNYG

Wales so far showing how it's done

imtommygunn

That number 12 for Australia is hard to shift when he gets it.

JPGJOHNNYG

Well done Wales that Aussie missing touch near the end needs a kicking. Wales are a reverse Ireland get spanked by the the tri-nations in friendlies but win when it matters. Their 6 nations record and world cup record shits on ours in the professional era and yet they aren't any better.

gallsman

grounded

You have got to give it to the Welsh. Appreciate it is only the pool stage but they have definitely got a resilience and doggedeness that Ireland are sadly lacking at the minute.
         Wyn Jones was fantastic and is the heart of the team.

EBX

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 28, 2019, 05:51:06 PM
Why do people want their own fecking country beat :o

Then talking about poetic justice with seven Japanese players. Anyone who feels like that- did you support Ireland in the Jack charlton era?

Because I have no time for Bourgeois Nationalists telling me that I have to answer Ar-land's Call....

weareros

Most of those are incomparable to, say, the case with Ali or Kleyn who have been pure project players.

George North's mother is Welsh and he's lived in Wales since he was a kid. He speaks frigging Welsh. He's Welsh in a way our lads will never be Irish. Not the same at all.

And Parkes who scored one of their tries against the Aussies, how do you classify him? A New Zealander or Welshman?

Estimator

Ulster League Champions 2009

Wildweasel74

Knock out UK born based players there, but I say England have the most.

seafoid

Quote from: Scoring Zone on September 28, 2019, 11:23:46 PM
it just looks again like a peaking issue, schmidt is on year 5, there is a lot to say in successful coaches usually run in 4 year cycles (olympic cycles) - leinster leaked within 4 years and tailed of, guardiola and that barca side, the recent madrid side and you will probably see it in the liverpool and man city teams shortly - huge peak in irish rugby in 2018 ( and we where only getting over the line in a lot of games)  in personnel, club and country after that the only way is down and stagnation and it won't be admitted but the key players are not at there peak or injury prone and it just we are at the back end of the cycle and there will be a sorry exit i'm afraid - but would live to be wrong
It's a widespread model but it doesn't apply to the Dublin footballers...
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Solo_run

I would say this issue would be more relevant to soccer than rugby

gallsman

Quote from: weareros on September 29, 2019, 01:18:41 PM

And Parkes who scored one of their tries against the Aussies, how do you classify him? A New Zealander or Welshman?

He's clearly a kiwi. This isn't difficult, I don't know why you're struggling so much.