The ulster rugby trial

Started by caprea, February 01, 2018, 11:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orchard park

Quote from: straightred on February 04, 2018, 11:24:06 AM
Quote from: screenexile on February 04, 2018, 10:39:15 AM
Anybody care to revise their opinion after hearing what Best said in his press conference yesterday evening??

not me anyway - he muttered a few lines that he had a few days to prepare (or more likely have someone prepare for him). I think what is becoming clear is that the IRFU didn't know. It will be lost now in the euphoria of Sextons heroics but it could have been so different. Imagine that kick doesn't go over - we'd be picking over a poor performance looking for answers and our esteemed captain would have been top of a lot of people's lists. I hope he bought sexton a few pints last night

No alcohol bans in professional sport of course

Frank_The_Tank

Anybody care to revise their opinion after hearing what Best said in his press conference yesterday evening??

What did he say?
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

longballin

Should Best be declaring at this stage he will be giving a good character reference ln behalf of Javkson? Also Best said he went to the trial to hear both sides, so if he gives the reference is that an inference he doesnt believe her? All abit dodgy.

screenexile

Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on February 04, 2018, 11:48:02 AM

What did he say?

He said he was asked to be a character witness and that he was advised to go to trial to hear the girl give evidence before he decided if he would do it or not. Also she gave her evidence behind a screen so I'm not sure how his and Henderson's presence would count as intimidation for those peddling that myth.

I can't see him giving a character witness it would be suicide for him plus the more I hear the more they're guilty as sin and he's closer to it so should know more than a lot of us. They should both do proper time!!

nrico2006

Quote from: screenexile on February 04, 2018, 11:53:08 AM

What did he say?

He said he was asked to be a character witness and that he was advised to go to trial to hear the girl give evidence before he decided if he would do it or not. Also she gave her evidence behind a screen so I'm not sure how his and Henderson's presence would count as intimidation for those peddling that myth.

I can't see him giving a character witness it would be suicide for him plus the more I hear the more they're guilty as sin and he's closer to it so should know more than a lot of us. They should both do proper time!!

What makes you think they are guilty as sin?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

straightred

What did he say?

I think we all should stay away from trying to second guess the verdict. You have to hope that the jury get that right.

I don't believe Best's statement. In my opinion a few PR professionals got their heads together and that was the best (pardon the pun) they could come up with. Its weak and that's no surprise because he simply shouldn't have been there and no amount of pr spin can change that. We'll move on and probably won't hear much more about this until the 6N is over if at all. I heard Marion Finucane's show earlier on RTE radio and she said that they weren't covering anything on this until after the trial is over. I know some are baying for blood but I think that is sensible. However I will qualify that by saying that I really hope the IRFU say something strong in due course

brokencrossbar1

The logistics of the trial of very interesting. It is quite obvious that it has been pushed to coincide with the 6N and as a result it is kept in the media. This is a very emotive trial and either side could win great leverage through the use of the media. I tend to agree that there is a wee bit of spin in Best being there this week but also I believe him in that he wanted to hear her side of the story. If you're going to put your reputation on the line for someone you have to believe they deserve it.

seafoid

Quote from: longballin on February 04, 2018, 11:49:30 AM
Should Best be declaring at this stage he will be giving a good character reference ln behalf of Javkson? Also Best said he went to the trial to hear both sides, so if he gives the reference is that an inference he doesnt believe her? All abit dodgy.
I think he clarified the position. It all comes down to who is telling the truth. The boys or the woman. Best didn't want to distract from the match. But he could have gone on Monday...
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: seafoid on February 04, 2018, 12:46:47 PM
Quote from: longballin on February 04, 2018, 11:49:30 AM
I think he clarified the position. It all comes down to who is telling the truth. The boys or the woman. Best didn't want to distract from the match. But he could have gone on Monday...

He also explained that the squad sessions ended on the previous evening and it was his day off from Ireland duties.

Estimator

On the barrister front, I'd suggest that its smart move by the defence. It shows that they're all united on their version of events. There's no conflict of interest. All singing from the same hymn sheet.
Plus if all four defendants had barristers and all four barristers questioned the girl, it could come across as bullying the witness, which could impact on the jurys view of the witness.
When it comes to cross examining the defendants, they will only be questioned by the prosecution and their own barrister, so there won't have to face a barrage of questions from multiple barristers.
As well as that, it decreases the length of time in court.

With the statement from Rory, I'd say someone in the IRFU typed that up for him. I'd be very surprised if he was advised in any way to attend just because he was asked to provide a character reference. He's known Paddy for a number of years, I'm sure he could easily write something without attending court.  There's enough reporting in the media without having to show up in person
Ulster League Champions 2009

Milltown Row2

The longer it goes on the more tittle tattle you hear, this case will get complete messy from here on in!

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

general_lee

Quote from: straightred on February 04, 2018, 12:05:33 PM

What did he say?

I think we all should stay away from trying to second guess the verdict. You have to hope that the jury get that right.

I don't believe Best's statement. In my opinion a few PR professionals got their heads together and that was the best (pardon the pun) they could come up with. Its weak and that's no surprise because he simply shouldn't have been there and no amount of pr spin can change that. We'll move on and probably won't hear much more about this until the 6N is over if at all. I heard Marion Finucane's show earlier on RTE radio and she said that they weren't covering anything on this until after the trial is over. I know some are baying for blood but I think that is sensible. However I will qualify that by saying that I really hope the IRFU say something strong in due course
Why. The girl doesn't follow rugby so she wouldn't know he was anyway. From behind the screen.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: general_lee on February 04, 2018, 01:15:22 PM

What did he say?

Why. The girl doesn't follow rugby so she wouldn't know he was anyway. From behind the screen.

Doesn't follow rugby? She knows these lads, that will come out too
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

general_lee

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 04, 2018, 01:19:55 PM
Quote from: general_lee on February 04, 2018, 01:15:22 PM

What did he say?

Doesn't follow rugby? She knows these lads, that will come out too
She knows who Jackson is. Not sure about the others. She said she didn't follow Ulster or Irish rugby, so how can she be intimidated by Best and Henderson if she doesn't know who they are. Plus if she is behind a screen (not sure is she screened from entire court or just accused) she possibly won't even see them there.

longballin

It may give her the impression its her v Ulster Rugby with those players landing in court