Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

O'Reilly was very quick, typical of what the Aussies are after. 

Sean Hurley that was, I remember that alright. You'd feel for kildare. It's tough as it is without that kind of in and out. All very good players arguably start on any county team in Ireland.

The pitch is nearly double a GAA size pitch, with the ball in play nearly twice as long. AFL is a brutal sport. Croke Park measures 145m long x 88m wide compared to the MCG which is 171m long to 146m wide. It really is survival of the fittest. Add in the heat that us Irish lads wouldn't be great with, so you have to give McKenna all the credit in the world. What McKenna Tyrone get back is another thing unfortunately.

Angelo

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on June 23, 2020, 12:25:23 PM
O'Reilly was very quick, typical of what the Aussies are after. 

Sean Hurley that was, I remember that alright. You'd feel for kildare. It's tough as it is without that kind of in and out. All very good players arguably start on any county team in Ireland.

The pitch is nearly double a GAA size pitch, with the ball in play nearly twice as long. AFL is a brutal sport. Croke Park measures 145m long x 88m wide compared to the MCG which is 171m long to 146m wide. It really is survival of the fittest. Add in the heat that us Irish lads wouldn't be great with, so you have to give McKenna all the credit in the world. What McKenna Tyrone get back is another thing unfortunately.

It's certainly the big question mark if or when he does come back but he's definitely the biggest prospect Tyrone football have had since Sean Cavanagh made the breakthrough.

The two most disappointing progressions we've had at minor level in recent years have been O'Neill and Coney. Coney was a huge minor and I think his physical advantages at that grade never transformed to senior level though he did have a very promising start to senior county football, had a few really bad injuries and never seemed able to get his confidence back.

O'Neill doesn't really have the physical attributes now needed in the modern game and also had a bad cruciate injury in his first year with the senior panel, he always looks a little out of shape to me but I'd put that down to him trying to bulk up too much to make up for his naturally slight frame.

McKenna is a supreme athlete and he can play too. So far he hasn't had any serious injuries. If he was to come back, there'd be very, very few who could compete with him athletically and he has that natural maverick quality, he was a naturally two footed player, you even see his flair come across in the little snippets you see of him in the AFL. If he came back fit and well I'd see him instantly turning into one of the leading if not the best half forwards in the game.

It would be some shot in the arm for Tyrone football to have him back though.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Knock Yer Mucker In

Mc Kenna was/is a talent. I recall him playing for Eglish seniors in an end of season league game when he was U17( you know how that stupid rules now stops lads that age playing senior now ffs), he couldn't be marked and we had a few good defenders back then. Pace, power & balance blessed with a football brain.

southtyronegael

Quote from: tyrone08 on June 22, 2020, 12:46:56 AM
Quote from: hardstation on June 21, 2020, 11:12:41 PM
Harte is your Ferguson/Wenger. You'd probably be right to say it's time for someone new but it's going to be a shitshow for a good while after he goes.

I would agree mostly with that. People who back harte always state that we could do worse. Fair enough but my response to that is have you honestly went into a top teir game in the last number of years and truly believed that tyrone could win it? I haven't. tyrone have not beat dubs, kerry or mayo in a knock out game in about 7 years or so.

What's the point in playing a bland defensive game of football all year only to know that you will be knocked out against one of the teams
it's been 12 years since we beat Dublin, Kerry, mayo in championship.

Christmas Lights

Quote from: southtyronegael on June 24, 2020, 12:42:42 AM
Harte is your Ferguson/Wenger. You'd probably be right to say it's time for someone new but it's going to be a shitshow for a good while after he goes.

I would agree mostly with that. People who back harte always state that we could do worse. Fair enough but my response to that is have you honestly went into a top teir game in the last number of years and truly believed that tyrone could win it? I haven't. tyrone have not beat dubs, kerry or mayo in a knock out game in about 7 years or so.

What's the point in playing a bland defensive game of football all year only to know that you will be knocked out against one of the teams

Is that stat true? 

Angelo

Quote from: Christmas Lights on June 24, 2020, 10:06:41 AM
Quote from: southtyronegael on June 24, 2020, 12:42:42 AM

Is that stat true?

Yup.

But context is important as always.

Kerry last beat Dublin in 2009
Mayo last beat Dublin in 2012.
Neither beat Dublin in the Jim Gavin era in Championship.

Tyrone have played Mayo twice in those 12 years, 2013 and 2016 and Kerry three times 2012, 2015 and 2019.

I think it just clarifies that Tyrone have been the 5th best team in the past decade.

GetOverTheBar

It's a damning statistic. I think Tyrone could have beaten Kerry in that time. But Mayo and Dublin were just better teams. Mayo especially might not be remembered because they didn't win one, but they were as good a team as Dublin in my opinon. Donie Vaughan to this day probably still wonders what if.

Angelo

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on June 24, 2020, 01:52:22 PM
It's a damning statistic. I think Tyrone could have beaten Kerry in that time. But Mayo and Dublin were just better teams. Mayo especially might not be remembered because they didn't win one, but they were as good a team as Dublin in my opinon. Donie Vaughan to this day probably still wonders what if.

I think we probably should have edged Kerry in 2015, missed 3 or 4 great goal chances. Last year was a mix of a criminal second half collapse and Maurice Deegan doing his best for Kerry.

Mayo were far better in 2013 but in 2016 Tyrone had the chances, even when down to 14 men to earn a draw at least.

The performances against Kerry and Mayo since 2015 haven't been bad, mistakes and missed chances have been the difference between us not winning those games.

The performances against Dublin however have been very underwhelming, the super 8s game in Omagh is the only game we've had them a little bothered coming down the final stretch.

tyrone08

Quote from: Angelo on June 24, 2020, 05:05:01 PM

I think we probably should have edged Kerry in 2015, missed 3 or 4 great goal chances. Last year was a mix of a criminal second half collapse and Maurice Deegan doing his best for Kerry.

Mayo were far better in 2013 but in 2016 Tyrone had the chances, even when down to 14 men to earn a draw at least.

The performances against Kerry and Mayo since 2015 haven't been bad, mistakes and missed chances have been the difference between us not winning those games.

The performances against Dublin however have been very underwhelming, the super 8s game in Omagh is the only game we've had them a little bothered coming down the final stretch.

12 years without winning against any of the top 3 is a damning statistic.

BennyHarp

I wonder what our record against Munster and Leinster teams in the championship was like in the 115 or so years before Harte took over?
That was never a square ball!!

trailer

Quote from: Angelo on June 24, 2020, 05:05:01 PM

We were nowhere near beating any of those teams at anytime in those games. Your memory is playing tricks on you. We're a laughing stock.

Stan

Anyone know if the paid execs on the county board were still getting paid this last 3 months?

nrico2006

McKenna was no more a prospect than Mulgrew, Coney or O'Neill were.  The odds were on him going more like them than becoming a superstar.  Tyrone's style doesn't lend itself to allowing players to flourish.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Angelo

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 29, 2020, 06:12:14 PM
McKenna was no more a prospect than Mulgrew, Coney or O'Neill were.  The odds were on him going more like them than becoming a superstar.  Tyrone's style doesn't lend itself to allowing players to flourish.

Come off it.

McKenna is by far and away the biggest prospect since Cavanagh.

Coney relied on his size at underage level and that didn't carry through to senior. O'Neill didn't have the physicality to make it.

McKenna is the complete package, he is an absolutely formidable athlete and a fantastic footballer too.

Very, very few cut the mustard over there. The only two that succeeded over there and returned to GAA briefly were Kennelly and Clarke. Kennelly won an all star and AI with Kerry in his one year back and Clarke brought Down to an AI final, won and all star and probably should have footballer of the year.

He becomes the main man for Tyrone if he comes home.

redzone

Quote from: Angelo on June 29, 2020, 07:08:25 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on June 29, 2020, 06:12:14 PM

Come off it.

McKenna is by far and away the biggest prospect since Cavanagh.

Coney relied on his size at underage level and that didn't carry through to senior. O'Neill didn't have the physicality to make it.

McKenna is the complete package, he is an absolutely formidable athlete and a fantastic footballer too.

Very, very few cut the mustard over there. The only two that succeeded over there and returned to GAA briefly were Kennelly and Clarke. Kennelly won an all star and AI with Kerry in his one year back and Clarke brought Down to an AI final, won and all star and probably should have footballer of the year.

He becomes the main man for Tyrone if he comes home.
Nicro is 100% right in what he is saying. Back in 08 coney was expected to be the next big thing in Tyrone. His form at minor level was something else. He didn't make the impact everyone thought he would or oneill either but it doesn't take away from the fact that they touted as the next big thing.
He's 24 now so there is still time, but if he leaves it much longer he mighten be the galeic player he once was.
Tim kennelly should have been on the subs for kerry, that's how poor his performances were. Only the management were loyal to him and sure as everyone knows the all stars are a joke