Official Irish Football Association Thread (Northern Ireland)

Started by Mentalman, September 04, 2007, 11:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Fair play to the six counties and each of their players are to be congratulated. I was pleased to see them qualify with a game to spare.

However my loyalty remains with Ireland because:
1) The existence of an NI team underlines the separation of my country
2) NI soccer flags fly along side loyalist paramilitary flags
3) Their national anthem
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Pub Bore

Quote from: michaelg on October 08, 2015, 11:23:32 PM
Quote from: ONeill on October 08, 2015, 11:12:52 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 08, 2015, 11:05:37 PM
Quote from: michaelg on October 08, 2015, 11:04:31 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 08, 2015, 09:53:20 PM
Quote from: give her dixie on October 08, 2015, 09:50:05 PM
Well done indeed. Scored a lot of goals and they did the business. Local lad McGinn played his part and i'm proud of him.

I remember 82 and 86 and the buzz was great, even if I was a lad.......

Listening to the radio for the game, and the fans are fair belting out Sweet Caroline and The road to Amarillo.........
No Sash or Billy Boys?
Kind of seems that this is what you would like to hear.
You lot are sticklers for tradition so it would a shame for youse to shun your past now.

Ah now, that's a shit argument. And it doesn't reflect well on progressive nationalism. If you provide proof those sectarian songs exist in 2015 @ Windsor Park then you're correct .

If not, it comes across a bit plastic and tired.
Fair play.  Good point, well made.  No sectarianism at WP these days.  Once we sack off GSTQ, or at the very least sing another anthem alongside it like the rugby, hopefully we will attract more nationalist fans.  I think today's team had 9 out of 11 born in NI, so be good if everyone could get behinf local lads doing well.

Even bigger achievement when you consider that 11 out of 11 of the players are shite! ;)

Joking aside, well done to NI, they were given a kind draw for once and took advantage.  Fantastic achievement to top the group with the scant resources available.  Classic case of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts.  As another poster said I don't think many teams will want to draw them.

Dunno if someone of my generation and background will actively "support" them, but maybe I'll watch from behind the sofa! ;D

Pub Bore

T'would be a gas if RoI qualified, the two "Irelands" are drawn in the same group, play somewhere like Nice and the two sets of supporters arrive in 40deg heat in mid June.  Mix in a load of cheap red wine and sit back and watch!

I note the final is on 10 July, NI can win the Euros and still could be back for the 11th night bonfires!

WT4E

Quote from: Orior on October 09, 2015, 11:41:02 AM
Fair play to the six counties and each of their players are to be congratulated. I was pleased to see them qualify with a game to spare.

3) Their national anthem

Great post! +1

BennyCake

3) Their national anthem

No 1 alone does it for me.

From the Bunker

3) Their national anthem

Remember the World Cup in 1982 and cheering on Norn Iron as an 11 year old. Being so young I did not see them in any political view other than being Irish and really proud with their performances. There was a great mix from both traditions in that squad. And they seemed to gel quite well on the surface anyway? Astonishing considering it was in the height of the Troubles.

gallsman

I don't understand how someone can take issue with supporting Norn Iron as a result of partition, yet will happily support the Republic. Is it just that it represents "more" of Ireland therefore is legitimized?

ashman

Quote from: gallsman on October 09, 2015, 10:47:34 AM
Quote from: ashman on October 09, 2015, 09:38:30 AM
Quote from: Billys Boots on October 09, 2015, 09:22:26 AM
Well done NI, great campaign and a good little side that no-one will be looking forward to facing.

Yes and yes but tbh everyone will want to get them and Iceland .  Be honest .  And ROI too.

Iceland's results are no fluke. They've invested a lot into the game over the last few years and have steadily improved the last couple of qualification campaigns. They'll not be easy for anyone.

Iceland will be whipping boys .  The bottom line in that to the stronger nations international qualifiers are a nuisance .  Come the tournaments they are more focussed and the wheat is seperated from the chaff. 

Club football is really where it is at .

tiempo

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 09, 2015, 12:05:35 PM

3) Their national anthem

Remember the World Cup in 1982 and cheering on Norn Iron as an 11 year old. Being so young I did not see them in any political view other than being Irish and really proud with their performances. There was a great mix from both traditions in that squad. And they seemed to gel quite well on the surface anyway? Astonishing considering it was in the height of the Troubles. war

bennydorano

Quote from: gallsman on October 09, 2015, 12:10:52 PM
I don't understand how someone can take issue with supporting Norn Iron as a result of partition, yet will happily support the Republic. Is it just that it represents "more" of Ireland therefore is legitimized?
Me too. ROI represents the ROI, i've never really felt an affinity. The ROI soccer team has never engendered an 'Irish' feeling  that the GAA or even Rugby can generate as 'All Ireland' Irishness - IMO obviously.

sid waddell

I come from the 26 counties but support the original Ireland team (the IFA team) as I consider them the truer representation of an all-island ideal, given that the IFA is the original governing body for association football on the whole island and the FAI is a partitionist, breakaway organisation.

Ultimately I'd like to see both teams re-united under the auspices of the IFA, playing under a new flag and standing for a new anthem, with home matches at Lansdowne Road.

dec

3) Their national anthem

The existence of the NI team is because the FAI broke away from the IFA (the original All-Ireland body). If partition is such a big problem for you then you shouldn't support either team.

stew

Quote from: WT4E on October 09, 2015, 11:55:15 AM

3) Their national anthem

Great post! +1

I think that is just plain wrong, the IFA was formed before the FAI, it was the FAI that broke away from the IFA, if so it is the IFA that caused the separation between the two.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Orior

Quote from: stew on October 09, 2015, 03:53:17 PM
Quote from: WT4E on October 09, 2015, 11:55:15 AM

3) Their national anthem

Great post! +1

I think that is just plain wrong, the IFA was formed before the FAI, it was the FAI that broke away from the IFA, if so it is the IFA that caused the separation between the two.

You are factually correct. But many other countries don't like the fact that the UK has 4 sets of delegates on the various European and World governing bodies. Change could evolve from that direction too.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

general_lee

Quote from: screenexile on October 08, 2015, 11:40:26 PM
Fair play to NI they did really well.

I think Shaftesbury square has been taken over by the GAWA doing the bouncy and asking if James McClean is watching. Not exactly progressive!!!
Singing WATP as well. Near thought Rangers were playing. That said I saw a few clips from Dublin on snapchat and fans were singing rebel songs.