How do Dublin GAA fend off interest from the AFL?

Started by kerryforsam2018, September 05, 2018, 09:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerryforsam2018

With the conveyor belt of talent coming through from Dublin, how do they fend off interest from professional AFL outfits? Rural counties have had up and coming stars head down under.

tippabu

How come there was never an approach made for clifford?

shawshank

Derry currently has three of its up and coming prospects aged 18,19&20 ie Brown, Mc Williams and young Tohill being courted by AFL. We're a small county.
So your question is very valid.

Syferus

The Hill is Blue

James Madden from this year's Dublin U20 team has signed a two year contract with the Brisbane Lions.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2018-08-14/madden-signs-for-2019
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Main Street

Quote from: kerryforsam2018 on September 05, 2018, 09:21:09 PM
With the conveyor belt of talent coming through from Dublin, how do they fend off interest from professional AFL outfits? Rural counties have had up and coming stars head down under.
The overall money package is very good with the Dubs and according to reports, they are all good humble characters with close family ties.

yellowcard

Tadhg Kennelly was already receiving criticism for poaching players such as O'Connor. Had he help take the great white hope Clifford away he would have risked upsetting not only Kerry GAA folk but the wider GAA public.

omaghjoe

Its simple enough the Dubs dont have the raw talent that the scouts are after or have already been refined too far for football by the Dublin coaching system.

Most of theirs player have been conditioned from a young age to perform at the level they do within a system that they understand and are comfortable in.

The AFL scouts are looking for guys that have the raw talent that they can then condition to perform in a similar way

Hound

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 05, 2018, 10:33:15 PM
James Madden from this year's Dublin U20 team has signed a two year contract with the Brisbane Lions.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2018-08-14/madden-signs-for-2019
Potentially a big loss but good luck to him.

Howard and Fenton probably got injured at exactly the right/wrong time between minor and U21 to miss the "opportunity". Not sure there's any other young Dub who would have attracted them. McCaffrey would have had no interest with his medical career ahead. Obviously Kilkenny went, but quickly found it wasn't for him (and he's not the only one that's happened to).

I'm sure Kerry must hemorrhaging loads of lads from the 5 in a row team  ;)

But of course anyone with a brain knows it's individuals they're after, not teams. And talented individuals can come from any county.

Dublin did lose Jim Stynes, who could well have been the best player in the country had he stayed. The difference he would have made to the Dubs teams from the late 80s and through the 90s.....

JoG2

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 06, 2018, 05:08:25 AM
Its simple enough the Dubs dont have the raw talent that the scouts are after or have already been refined too far for football by the Dublin coaching system.

Most of theirs player have been conditioned from a young age to perform at the level they do within a system that they understand and are comfortable in.

The AFL scouts are looking for guys that have the raw talent that they can then condition to perform in a similar way

My eyes are burning ! What a load of claptrap..you're AI final meltdown should have passed by now surely

markl121

Derry have also lost conor glass to hawthorne. Still hope he comes back at some point.

blewuporstuffed

I would imagine its just tougher sell to a young Dublin lad than a player from a weaker county.
A talented young Dub is looking at almost guaranteed success and getting into a near professional setup with all the perks that comes along with being a Dublin footballer.

The same cant be said for a young lad from Derry or Laois * (insert mid tier county here ) and so an AFL career is more appealing by comparison
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

twohands!!!

Quote from: tippabu on September 05, 2018, 09:25:26 PM
How come there was never an approach made for clifford?

I heard he turned down offers - supposedly the main reason he didn't go was because both his parents were very against the idea.

Jinxy

Clifford would hate Aussie Rules.
Madden is a running machine.
That's the type of player they want.
If you were any use you'd be playing.