Dublin GAA star calls for drugs to be decriminalised

Started by MoChara, February 15, 2016, 12:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoChara

Connla Young
15 February, 2016 01:00

Dublin GAA star Philly McMahon has called for the use of drugs like heroin to be decriminalised.

The double All-Ireland winner, whose brother John died after a battle with drugs in 2012, also appealed for society not to isolate those who struggle with addiction.

The tough-tackling defender from Ballymun in north Dublin spoke about the impact of drugs on his family during an interview on RTE's Late Late Show on Friday.

Last week Mr McMahon called for drugs to be decriminalised and for tax proceeds to be put into recovery programmes.

"I think the majority of people are uneducated about addicts," he said.

"If you fell and broke your leg tomorrow and went to the hospital we'd get pure heroin, believe it or not - you get diamorphine, it's pure heroin.

"The heroin you buy in the street is actually diluted down a lot, so a lot of people would probably think if I take heroin today I am going to be hooked and believe it or not it's the social hooks that addicts - addicts will be on drugs from the social hooks, it's not from the chemical hooks in the drugs."

He said more can be done to help those with addictions.

"It's just getting our heads around when you see addicts in the street, it's important we don't push them away from society."

http://www.irishnews.com/news/2016/02/15/news/dublin-gaa-star-calls-for-drugs-to-be-decriminalised-417627/

stew

He is biased in his opinion obviously but if they river get around to legalizing any of that illegal shot I day legalize it all and tax the shit out of it, regulate the quality and stick the profits into rehab centers.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Asal Mor

He makes an excellent point. And prohibition has been a disaster.

Main Street

Quote from: MoChara on February 15, 2016, 12:42:57 PM

Connla Young

Dublin GAA star Philly McMahon has called for the use of drugs like heroin to be decriminalised.

The double All-Ireland winner, whose brother John died after a battle with drugs in 2012, also appealed for society not to isolate those who struggle with addiction.

The tough-tackling defender from Ballymun in north Dublin spoke about the impact of drugs on his family during an interview on RTE's Late Late Show on Friday.

Last week Mr McMahon called for drugs to be decriminalised and for tax proceeds to be put into recovery programmes.

"If you fell and broke your leg tomorrow and went to the hospital we'd get pure heroin, believe it or not - you get diamorphine, it's pure heroin.

"The heroin you buy in the street is actually diluted down a lot, so a lot of people would probably think if I take heroin today I am going to be hooked and believe it or not it's the social hooks that addicts - addicts will be on drugs from the social hooks, it's not from the chemical hooks in the drugs."

"It's just getting our heads around when you see addicts in the street, it's important we don't push them away from society."

I didn't see the interview but very well spoken by Philly, not necessarily very well expressed. Not wishing to speak for Philly but I think if he had a more relaxed situation he would be explaining that a person doesn't get hooked to pure heroin as is prescribed in hospitals.
What Philly is saying is that clean heroin does not have a physical hook, otherwise your granny in for hip replacement
would be coming out of hospital a  heroin junkie. If you use clean heroin twice a day for 3 weeks you won't turn into a junkie . The actual addiction to the substance is a different chemical issue and a wider social issue.
And it is a nonsense to criminalise, stigmatise and dishonour  the drug addict. It has never worked anywhere and never will.
Keep it up Philly, speak up on behalf your lost brother.

stew

Quote from: Main Street on February 15, 2016, 11:33:13 PM

Connla Young

I didn't see the interview but very well spoken by Philly, not necessarily very well expressed. Not wishing to speak for Philly but I think if he had a more relaxed situation he would be explaining that a person doesn't get hooked to pure heroin as is prescribed in hospitals.
What Philly is saying is that clean heroin does not have a physical hook, otherwise your granny in for hip replacement
would be coming out of hospital a  heroin junkie. If you use clean heroin twice a day for 3 weeks you won't turn into a junkie . The actual addiction to the substance is a different chemical issue and a wider social issue.
And it is a nonsense to criminalise, stigmatise and dishonour  the drug addict. It has never worked anywhere and never will.

Would you leagilize the shot and profit from it, would you give all the profits to fixing the junkies? I would in a heartbeat,

Main Street

Quote from: stew on February 15, 2016, 11:37:27 PM

Connla Young

Would you leagilize the shot and profit from it, would you give all the profits to fixing the junkies? I would in a heartbeat,
The mechanics and and the economics of legalising  such class A drugs, I leave to others more qualified. The reality of legalising class A drugs is complex and as regards nice slogans like Philly exclaimed "tax proceeds to be put into recovery programs" i really have no idea of the practicalities involved but I do have issue with the principle.
In some scandinavian countries, the gambling operations are controlled by GA (Gamblers anonymous). GA supply all the gambling  machines to  retail outlets, manage the whole operation and take their % of the profits to run rehab programs for gamblers.
I just think that's fcking weird and immoral.

macdanger2

There's a big difference between decriminalisation and legalisation of drugs. There are no tax proceeds from decriminalisation AFAIK

stew

Quote from: Main Street on February 15, 2016, 11:59:44 PM
Quote from: stew on February 15, 2016, 11:37:27 PM

Connla Young

The mechanics and and the economics of legalising  such class A drugs, I leave to others more qualified. The reality of legalising class A drugs is complex and as regards nice slogans like Philly exclaimed "tax proceeds to be put into recovery programs" i really have no idea of the practicalities involved but I do have issue with the principle.
In some scandinavian countries, the gambling operations are controlled by GA (Gamblers anonymous). GA supply all the gambling  machines to  retail outlets, manage the whole operation and take their % of the profits to run rehab programs for gamblers.
I just think that's fcking weird and immoral.

Brilliant Street, 100 percent correct, that said it works and right now we have an alleged outsider in hc running for the presidency and sheep on here that buy into it, morality is all but dead so I say f**k everything and lets get nuts and cut out the cartels and make lots of money so that we can liberally clean up the lives we ruin through drugs, after all, it is the liberal way!

stew

Sticking a needle full of really bad shot in your arm is normal? Only Eamonica and galksnan think so on here.

Hardy

Quote from: Declan on February 16, 2016, 08:21:45 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao8L-0nSYzg&feature=youtu.be

Here's the link Philly was referring to

I'd never seen that before, but it tallies with everything we now understand about what works and what doesn't work in dealing with addiction and drug dependency. See the results of decriminalising drug use in Portugal, for instance.

As regards the 'war on drugs', we've understood for all of human history that war is practically never the solution to any problem. See the 'war on terror' for a great illustration. I think society is slowly beginning to understand that, as the video says, "the war on drugs we've been fighting for almost a century now has made everything worse".

armaghniac

Quote from: Hardy on February 16, 2016, 10:26:34 AM

I'd never seen that before, but it tallies with everything we now understand about what works and what doesn't work in dealing with addiction and drug dependency. See the results of decriminalising drug use in Portugal, for instance.

As regards the 'war on drugs', we've understood for all of human history that war is practically never the solution to any problem. See the 'war on terror' for a great illustration. I think society is slowly beginning to understand that, as the video says, "the war on drugs we've been fighting for almost a century now has made everything worse".

A bit like Tony and the Unionists, if you can't beat them join them.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hardy

Quote from: armaghniac on February 16, 2016, 10:43:54 AM
Quote from: Hardy on February 16, 2016, 10:26:34 AM

A bit like Tony and the Unionists, if you can't beat them join them.

What a remarkably ridiculous observation.

Esmarelda

I'm pleasantly surprised by the reaction to this thread. There was at least one other thread on the issue and the "just say no" message was seeping in.

I agree with most of what's been said but you need to be careful with over-taxing something or it'll just end up back on the streets again.

Main Street

That's an excellent presentation.
One thing I would add  is that heroin usage, is  proven to be more common in more unequal societies.
according to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, World Drug Report.