Tadhg Kennellys AFL Trials

Started by yellowcard, February 13, 2013, 02:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Cream of the crop attend Aussie Rules trials
13 February 2013

Cormac Costello (Dublin), Daniel Flynn (Kildare) and Damien Cahalane (Cork) are just some of the young GAA stars who are attending Tadhg Kennelly's Australian Rules trials at DCU this week.

The cream of the country's young gaelic footballers are being put through their paces by the AFL's International Ambassador.

Dublin pair Eric Lowndes and Shane Carthy were also at the trials which are taking place over yesterday and today.

Paddy Brophy is another emerging Kildare talent attending along with Armagh's Ethan Rafferty and Antrim's James Lavery.

Meanwhile, rising Dublin star Jack McCaffrey turned down a fresh approach from Kennelly to attend the trials.

Kennelly told The Irish Daily Star: "Jack came last year, we saw a lot of potential in him and it's his preference (not to go further). Jack McCaffrey ran a 2.8 for a 20-metre sprint. It blows them out of the water in Australia straight away.

"It's a thing that clubs can look at and say 'there is freaky talent in Ireland. They're not just footballers, they're athletes as well'.

"It's not just Gaelic footballers we're looking for."

Galway's Shane Walsh and Kerry's Padraig Lucey are exciting basketball prospects while English rugby international Cameron Cope is also attending the trials.

AFL trialists - Cormac Costello, Gavin Burke, Shane Carthy, Eric Lowndes, Niall Scully (all Dublin); Paddy Brophy, Daniel Flynn (both Kildare), Damien Cahalane (Cork); Bill Maher, Philip Quirke, Steven O'Brien (all Tipperary); James Laverty (Antrim); Conor Carville, Niall Grimley (both Derry); Shane Walsh (Galway); Ronan Daly (Roscommon); Che Cullen, Lee Cullen (both Fermanagh); Adam Gallagher (Mayo); Ethan Rafferty (Armagh); Hugh McFadden (Donegal); Padraig Lucey (Kerry); Cameron Cope (Wolverhampton); G Leech (Westmeath).

spuds

Kennelly is the sort of landlord's agent that would get his cart wheels loosened back in the old days.  :o
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Orchardman

How many times over the years have we heard from kennelly " ah sure look, never say never, i'd never rule anything out".

He likes the aul media for sure, but i suppose he's only answering the same silly questions he gets from the journos. I've no doubt he could do a good job for kerry this year but he likely wants a handy  4 months summer championship stint cause he isn't able/ couldn't be bothered with the league. Fitzmaurice would risk rocking the boat by only bringing him in for summer.

As for the trials, don't think we take much notice of them any more, serious amount of lads have come home in the last 2 years

yellowcard

Think there is more chance of Tommy Walsh playing for Kerry this year than Kennelly. Last I heard he was struggling to make an impact at the Swans after being released by St Kilda last year.

HeaveHo

I reckon Walsh will get one more year with Sydney to prove his worth. Sydney have recruited a monster in Kurt Tippett to play up forward but he won't be available for a number of weeks because of salary cap violations at his old club. Walsh will need to show something before Tippett becomes available.

I thought Walsh would be a monty to become a regular AFL player because of his size and athletic ability. His skills and reading of the game are comparatively poor and this seems to have halted his progress.

Pearce Hanley is close to becoming an elite AFL player after a stellar 2012. Zac Tuohey is also a first choice selection these days. Marty Clarke was ordinary last year and seems to have lost some zip. He will need to improve. Mooney showed a bit last year and has leg speed which is something his team (Collingwood) needs.

Syferus

Quote from: HeaveHo on February 22, 2013, 02:13:01 AM
I reckon Walsh will get one more year with Sydney to prove his worth. Sydney have recruited a monster in Kurt Tippett to play up forward but he won't be available for a number of weeks because of salary cap violations at his old club. Walsh will need to show something before Tippett becomes available.

I thought Walsh would be a monty to become a regular AFL player because of his size and athletic ability. His skills and reading of the game are comparatively poor and this seems to have halted his progress.

Pearce Hanley is close to becoming an elite AFL player after a stellar 2012. Zac Tuohey is also a first choice selection these days. Marty Clarke was ordinary last year and seems to have lost some zip. He will need to improve. Mooney showed a bit last year and has leg speed which is something his team (Collingwood) needs.

That's what good Ros genes does for you.  ;)

I'd have loved Pearce to have still been playing football because he's an incredibly talented player but the sight of Andy Moran and Pearce Hanley in their primes lining out for Mayo (and probably winning last year's All-Ireland, honestly) would probably have been enough to trigger a spate of depression in Roscommon, and that's before getting to the likes of Brendan Cox's (a fine, true West Roscommon man, of course) son, Conor Cox, starring for Kerry and UCC. Sure the area is a factory of top class forwards..

Anyways, best of luck Pearce, and remember you can join a different Ros club if you ever return  :-X

omagh_gael

Job satisfaction must be crap in this factory as they all seem to feck off somewhere else ;)

rosnarun

Quote from: Syferus on February 22, 2013, 02:23:46 AM

I'd have loved Pearce to have still been playing football because he's an incredibly talented player but the sight of Andy Moran and Pearce Hanley in their primes lining out for Mayo (and probably winning last year's All-Ireland, honestly) would probably have been enough to trigger a spate of depression in Roscommon, and that's before getting to the likes of Brendan Cox's (a fine, true West Roscommon man, of course) son, Conor Cox, starring for Kerry and UCC. Sure the area is a factory of top class forwards..

Anyways, best of luck Pearce, and remember you can join a different Ros club if you ever return  :-X
jaysus if your claiing all them mayo are going to claim Michael murphy and the Brogans
another big loss for mayo after hanley would be Adam Gallagher . probably the oustaning minor in the country last year
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Farrandeelin

Too true rosnarun, if he didn't come out bad in the collision in the semifinal, Mayo might have made it to the final.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ONeill

Quote from: spuds on February 13, 2013, 03:11:43 PM
Kennelly is the sort of landlord's agent that would get his cart wheels loosened back in the old days.  :o

Ha!
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Syferus

Quote from: rosnarun on February 23, 2013, 12:13:41 AM
Quote from: Syferus on February 22, 2013, 02:23:46 AM

jaysus if your claiing all them mayo are going to claim Michael murphy and the Brogans
another big loss for mayo after hanley would be Adam Gallagher . probably the oustaning minor in the country last year

Kinda helped the optics that the rest of the Mayo team couldn't hit a barn door from five paces bar the Tipp game! Gallagher is a serious talent all right but not even unquestionably the best minor midfielder in Connacht his age bracket - Thomas Corcoran is just as big, mobile and good on frees as Gallagher.

Anyone that watched Cormac Costello last year can tell you there is little question he was the outstanding minor footballer last year, though. Let's not even approach the equally hard to ignore fact that he was also the outstanding minor hurler last year. Every bit as good as Ciaran Kilkenny, indeed probably even better to my eyes.

ballinaman

As expected.  :-[

He'll be able to do his rehab full time over there. Best of luck to him

Mayo To Lose One Of Its Bright Young Stars To The AFL

Cian Hanley, Mayo minor star and younger brother of AFL player Pearce Hanley, is following in his sibling's footsteps by also making a move down under.

Despite suffering a suspected ACL injury during the All-Ireland minor semi-final loss to Kerry at Croke Park, the Mayo captain is still being signed up by the Brisbane Lions, the same club where his brother plays.

Quoted by The Courier Mail, Brisbane manager Dean Warren said that the club would be sticking by the younger Hanley despite the injury.

"It is really shattering for him, but we have made a commitment to him and we will stick by him."

"It is an opportunity for us, he will be able to do a lot of skill acquisition training and work in the gym so we don't think we'll lose that much time because of the injury."

While his brother is just delighted to have another Irishman around the place.

"I may have him covered for pace, but endurance wise, he was light years in front of me."

"I'm thrilled I can be here to help him out but having family here, and another Irishman, will be great for me too."

"I have missed out on watching him play his football so far, so I am really looking forward to that also."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SIGU57fgPs

rodney trotter

Pearce Hanley on the AFL show a few weeks ago,  some fairly cringe stuff by the panel on the Irish stereotype http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gExJDe7Ylg

Never beat the deeler

Apparently Cian Hanley is onhis way out to Brisbane also

(oops, hadn't spotted that, sorry ballinaman)
Hasta la victoria siempre

AZOffaly

That's literally 2 posts above yours :)