"Kilkenny the best team ever "

Started by seafoid, June 22, 2010, 09:29:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/0622/1224273027953.html

"The Kilkenny county board held a single meeting with nothing on the agenda only under-14 hurling in the county. That couldn't happen anywhere else."

Interesting article. The question is where does hurling go from here. Are Kilkenny likely to win say 8 or 9 in a row a la Crossmaglen Rangers in Armagh ? Will anybody else join them or will the sport be dominated by Kilkenny for the next decade?  Is anyone else making the right strides or is it just a case of waiting until Kilkenny run into the sand to pick up an all-Ireland ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

bottlethrower7

It depends what you mean by 'dominate'. Its  not inconceivable that, should there be a lull in Kilkenny's fortunes, that it would only be brief, and it would only be a matter of time before they build another team capable of stringing back-to-back all-Irelands.

Are they they the best team ever? Possibly. Possibly not. Its not really a debate that has any point to it. It fills column inches for the likes of Sean Moran (he who wouldn't be the biggest fan of Kilkenny), but for the rest of us its not more than mere idle pub banter.

Reillers

I'm not fully convinced they'll win this year. It's hard to see what lies ahead. I mean there is no guarantee that they'll continue to produce players they way they have.

Are they the best team ever..I don't know. Yes/No? Were the teams of the past better? Who knows. For me, it's a pointless arguement, where you can't compare teams, it's just D4 media journos going on, like Bottlethrower said, just filing collumn inches.

didlyi

Well the Dubs have just beaten the Cats at U21 and speaking of under 14's, I believe that Kilmacud beat the Cats in feile na ngael last weekend too. So they may have Big rivals in Leinster soon.

Bord na Mona man

I'd consider them the greatest hurling team ever.
I believe the the current side is in decline though.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on June 25, 2010, 12:22:08 AM
I'd consider them the greatest hurling team ever.
I believe the the current side is in decline though.

I second that emotion. Notwithstanding the demolition of Dublin, I think this particular side, which is the best I have ever seen (if we classify this 'side' as being Kilkenny under Brian Cody) has peaked, and will slide back towards the pack. How long this will take is moot.

lilpaulie85

how long it will last is also unknown cody will replace anyone he feels is no longer up to it without a second taught.
Chase the dream not the competition.

cicfada

Only people from Cork or Tipp  ;) would refuse the accolade richly deserved by this team of being the best ever. Hurling has never been played  at such  a pace, physical intensity or standard and to win 4 in a row marks this team as the best! 7 all Ireland titles in one decade and losing another one as well. if they are on the way down it's slowly they are going, and we will see at what pace this coming Sunday! As passionate a Galway man as I am I can't see our lads winning on Sunday, too many questions and too many scoring forwards on the cats team! Still hope springs eternal!!