Domestic Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI)

Started by tbrick18, January 25, 2016, 03:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrick18

Has anyone taken advantage of the  Domestic Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) scheme?
I'm trying to work out if these Biomass heating systems are worth the trouble of having to store pellets, clean them out every week etc.
Or if anyone knows of any common problems/faults it would be good to find out.

trueblue1234

In the process of using it for a Ground source heat pump. Seems pretty straight forward. Is yours a new build or a retro fit?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

tbrick18

Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 25, 2016, 04:34:59 PM
In the process of using it for a Ground source heat pump. Seems pretty straight forward. Is yours a new build or a retro fit?

It would be a retro fit.
I'm more interested in the mechanics of the biomass system to be honest.
I've heard stories of older ones in particular giving quite a bit of trouble, such as the hopper clogging up.
I'm just trying to identify potential issues so I can ask the supplier about them and hopefully find out if those issues have been resolved in the newest models.

Just out of curiosity, are you buying your ground source system or going through the scheme where you pay nothing?
I'm just sceptical about something that says you pay nothing.

trueblue1234

No We're buying it. I didn't think there was an option on the heat pumps to pay nothing? We're getting a grant of £3500 for the pump. 

tbrick18

Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 25, 2016, 04:59:32 PM
No We're buying it. I didn't think there was an option on the heat pumps to pay nothing? We're getting a grant of £3500 for the pump.

Maybe you cant for the heat pump, I didnt look into it.
For the biomass there is a grant available, I think 7K. The grant is paid to you over the course of 7 years if you buy the system outright.
Or you can get the system for "free" and the provider claims the grant.
The scheme itself I can get my head around, it would just be good to speak with someone already in it to see if there are any pitfalls.

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

giveherlong

Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 25, 2016, 04:34:59 PM

When did the scheme open up again?

trueblue1234

LeoMc

Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 27, 2019, 08:39:16 PM
It didn't. That post was 3 years ago.

Are their any grants or incentives currently for any domestic renewables schemes, e.g. Solar panels or Ground / Air source heat pumps?

TabClear

Not the Domestic scheme but the Boiler owners up here are getting hit hard

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-47378610

I know there are many of them who were in it to simply milk it for all they are worth but the way the Dept has went about this is all wrong and could really hurt future investment in NI. I have no sympathy for those people who just wanted to burn as much as they could to generate cash but there were many genuine cases where people bought boilers and incurred significant amounts of debt based on the scheme rules as approved. They now face significant unforeseen liabilities. Investors and funders want certainty and for a government subsidy to be wiped out overnight like this is a really damaging message for future investment.

Edit:Just saw that the revised tariff should generate 12% return so if that is true thats reasonable for the boiler owners. Still a PR disaster for future investment

Denn Forever

Good old wiki.

The Home Renovation Incentive (HRI) is a relief from Income Tax (IT) for homeowners, landlords and local authority tenants. You can claim the HRI Tax Credit for repairs, renovations and improvements to your home or rental property. To be eligible for HRI: you must pay tax under Pay As You Earn (PAYE) or self-assessment

What grants are available for home improvements?
Housing grants and schemes

Home Renovation Incentive. ...
    Housing Adaptation Grant for People with a Disability. ...
    Housing Aid for Older People Scheme. ...
    Mobility Aids Grant Scheme. ...
    Improvement works in lieu of local authority housing. ...
    Local authority home improvement loans. ...
    Housing for older people. ...
    Better Energy Homes scheme.

The Better Energy Homes scheme provides grants to homeowners to improve energy efficiency in their homes. ... If you have previously availed of a grant under the scheme you can reapply to get additional work done. The Better Energy Homes scheme is administered by the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland (SEAI).Nov 1, 2018

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/housing_grants_and_schemes/home_renovation_incentive.html

https://www.revenue.ie/en/property/home-renovation-incentive/hri-for-homeowners-and-landlords/index.aspx

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...