Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: Mikhailov on January 08, 2016, 02:41:05 PM
The missus looking for a wee break round Easter time in European city of my choice.... have previously been to Berlin, Prague, London, Rome & Barcelona would like to try somewhere different although I personally think London is hard to beat.

Anyone have knowledge or advice on Zurich, Munich or Vienna but preferably Zurich as flights are decent.

cheers

Stockholm and Copenhagen are both good, if a little pricey.

blewuporstuffed

The missus looking for a wee break round Easter time in European city of my choice.... have previously been to Berlin, Prague, London, Rome & Barcelona would like to try somewhere different although I personally think London is hard to beat.

Anyone have knowledge or advice on Zurich, Munich or Vienna but preferably Zurich as flights are decent.

cheers

Budapest is excellent, and would be cheaper than paris.
I went to Krakow at Easter a few year ago and it was good as well
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Mikhailov

cheers

thanks for the advice - yes, I have been to paris but forgot to put on the list. For some reason, I am swaying towards Zurich, admittedly with limited knowledge of the place. I appreciate it is expensive etc but I like to see places that are not your normal places - somewhere different. I have also done Olso, Helsinki and Riga before.

Rois

Seafoid will be along shortly to tell you to forget about visiting Switzerland...

Everyone up north is heading to Reykjavik these days because Easyjet fly there from Belfast now. 

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Rois on January 08, 2016, 03:46:45 PM
Seafoid will be along shortly to tell you to forget about visiting Switzerland...

Everyone up north is heading to Reykjavik these days because Easyjet fly there from Belfast now.
went there in the summer, a class city/ country and really enjoyed , but its fricking expensive  :-[
the flights to get there are cheap, but everything after that isn't.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

heffo

cheers

Unless you're unavoidably there on business, I'd avoid Zurich.

Vienna and Munich are both nice.

Have you been to Istanbul? Much better city than the other three, flights twice daily from Dublin and very cheap..

Tony Baloney

Heading to Berlin with the missus end of March. Anything I HAVE to see or hit Checkpoint Charlie early on and then get stuck into the beer and currywurst?

gallsman

Have been to Zurich a lot. I wouldn't say avoid but it's not by any means the prettiest part of Switzerland. Lucerne is a lovely spot.

I wouldn't put too much store in the fact the flights might be decent. Make no mistake, once you get there, nothing else will be and your wallet will get lightened pretty damn quickly.

gallsman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 08, 2016, 05:22:57 PM
Heading to Berlin with the missus end of March. Anything I HAVE to see or hit Checkpoint Charlie early on and then get stuck into the beer and currywurst?

Walking tour of the wall.

Harold Disgracey

The Currywurst museum is beside Checkpoint Charlie!

Go to the Topography of Terror, the Reichstag and take the missus to Fassbender and Rausch and you'll allowed to drink as much beer as you want!

Clov

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 08, 2016, 05:22:57 PM

The Reichstag dome is very good. You have to register online in advance to make a visit - a couple of weeks at least as its very popular.

The Tiergarten is also good for a walk around and/or a cycle. There is a great restaurant in the middle of it somewhere.
Have a look also at the Holocaust memorial at Hannah-Arendt Strasse.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

Tony Baloney

Cheers she's a history teacher so will want all the WWII and Cold War stuff but says she has no time to do any research so it's up to me. Will definitely do a walking tour and try to nail as much as I can in one hit.

I like the sound of this currywurst museum.

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: heffo on January 08, 2016, 04:08:21 PM

cheers

Unless you're unavoidably there on business, I'd avoid Zurich.

Vienna and Munich are both nice.

Have you been to Istanbul? Much better city than the other three, flights twice daily from Dublin and very cheap..
Been to Budapest 3 times now. would highly recommend it , ,

armaghniac

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 08, 2016, 06:10:10 PM
Cheers she's a history teacher so will want all the WWII and Cold War stuff but says she has no time to do any research so it's up to me. Will definitely do a walking tour and try to nail as much as I can in one hit.

I like the sound of this currywurst museum.

There is a rake of stuff in Berlin, you won't have time for half of it.
The bit of preserved wall at Bernauer Strasse gives an idea of the old days.
The Glienicke Bridge and Potsdam are interesting, and the villa where the Wannsee Conference was held is out that way too.
The DDR museum might be interesting, watch Deutschland '83 currently on Channel 4 to get into the mood.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tony Baloney

Cheers, just have to talk my Ma into watching the wains  :-[