Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Johnson

Quote from: illdecide on February 23, 2015, 03:47:33 PM
Lol...well you'd know better than anyone. I was thinking of booking Florida for next summer for the two kids, I've been there before so I know the craic but all of a sudden when there's two extra coming with you the cost is brutal...Jasus it's some money to try and save up for a holiday like that.

You getting a discount too from your sister and you are still complaining!

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 23, 2015, 02:25:14 PM
Quote from: Rois on February 23, 2015, 01:06:29 PM
Death Valley is about 2 hours drive out if you like looking at varied landscapes.  You'd need to rent a car for the day but it was pretty spectacular.

Our plan this September includes a 3 or 4 day camping trip in the Grand Canyon.  Anyone done that before?

I had friends who did that when we lived in Arizona. Their photos were beautiful. They went to Havasupai Falls. Unbelievable scenary.

The photos were a fitting memorial to them all after the Rattlers got them.
Did you ever visit Hopi country when you were in AZ ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AZOffaly

No. North Eastern Arizona/ 4 corners was one part I never really went to. I saw Anazazi dwellings and the like, which were unreal when you consider how long ago they lived, and I've seen Pima, Apache and Navajo reservations, but I wasn't in Hopi Country at all. I was in Show Low and Eastern Arizona, along the Mogollan Rim, skiing in the white mountains, but that's more Apache than Hopi I think.

muppet

I have it in my head to hire a Winnebago and do 3-6 months of rambling around the western half of the US, when I retire (or get fired).

Is this realistic or a mad fantasy?
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on February 23, 2015, 03:58:27 PM
I have it in my head to hire a Winnebago and do 3-6 months of rambling around the western half of the US, when I retire (or get fired).

Do it before you retire.
Job continuity is overrated anawez
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AZOffaly

I want to do this too. I love that part of the World. Although I'd like to collect the RV or whatever in the South, maybe Mississippi or Louisiana, and head up and across Route 66..

Puckoon

I think about doing this twice a year, but work gets in the way. It would be a great time. Lots of places to stay and get power hooked up for a night or two for a shower etc...

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 23, 2015, 04:05:22 PM

I want to do this too. I love that part of the World. Although I'd like to collect the RV or whatever in the South, maybe Mississippi or Louisiana, and head up and across Route 66..

I did a couple of months of this in Australia years ago and, although I like my creature comforts, the complete freedom to travel without plans was fantastic. E.G. a night in Byron Bay became a week because I thought it was a great place.

Definitely love to do it in the States. The Rockies, Yosemite, Yellowstone, Missouri River, Snake River, Colorado River, Death Valley, Lewis & Clarke route etc.
MWWSI 2017

Eamonnca1

I'm not sure how much of Route 66 is still drivable.  I'd imagine it's a lot of cracked roads and abandoned motels by now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_66

muppet

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 23, 2015, 07:15:34 PM
I'm not sure how much of Route 66 is still drivable.  I'd imagine it's a lot of cracked roads and abandoned motels by now.

I never knew it went as far south as Texas.
MWWSI 2017

WT4E

Anyone ever use trailfinders or similar? Thinking of using them cause looking a multi stop hol but don't know if its worth using them or how it even works!

Nigel White

Quote from: muppet on February 23, 2015, 07:21:03 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 23, 2015, 07:15:34 PM

I never knew it went as far south as Texas.
Wife and I did Route 66 over 2 weeks last summer which included 2 nights in Vegas. You really need at least 3 weeks. A lot of it is flat and unexciting. If i was doing it again I'd do the West Coast Seattle to LA

Rois

Quote from: WT4E on February 23, 2015, 07:33:17 PM
Anyone ever use trailfinders or similar? Thinking of using them cause looking a multi stop hol but don't know if its worth using them or how it even works!
Never used them but I've always considered it. For recent trips to the states and Australia/NZ, we've most certainly got so much better value booking it ourselves  Are you going somewhere that's easily reachable by commercial flights? If so, you'll certainly get a better deal organising it yourself. But then for me, half the craic of a holiday is the planning.

bailestil

Used them 4 or 5 times, and have been excellent every time.
Normally id be booking Flights hotels etc individually, but for multi-trip stops with trailfinders, i've never been able to get anything cheaper. they normally have good rates at hotels etc.
had to switch a few dates for flights while in NZ and they sorted it that day.

Rois

Quote from: bailestil on February 24, 2015, 11:38:55 AM

Used them 4 or 5 times, and have been excellent every time.
Normally id be booking Flights hotels etc individually, but for multi-trip stops with trailfinders, i've never been able to get anything cheaper. they normally have good rates at hotels etc.
had to switch a few dates for flights while in NZ and they sorted it that day.
Funny, I had done research on multi stop flights to Oz and NZ for a trip back in December and Trailfinders couldn't get within £100 per person of the price I'd found myself. 
I'd say you couldn't replicate a full package trip for the same price (i.e. get the same hotels), but when we did Vegas, Lake Tahoe and the West Coast, we opted for cheaper hotels, for example we stayed in motels if we were only staying one night, used Hotwire to get great rates on unknown hotels in cities etc, so we ended up paying much less than the price Trailfinders quoted for a three week holiday to the same places but not the same hotels.