Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

Does anyone on here have any good Mexico resort recommendations?

There are so many - some are reasonably priced, some are ridiculously expensive but I'm worried in case the reasonably priced ones are rubbish.  On the other hand, I couldn't justify an additional £300/£400 for a slightly better standard of food.

seafoid

Quote from: hardstation on March 20, 2013, 11:55:02 AM
Hoping to book Thailand for 2 weeks in July. Would like to spend about 3 nights in Bangkok before heading out to one of the island resorts.

Anybody any advice on where to stay in Bangkok/which resort to go for etc?

Fcuk it, if you know anything worth knowing about Thailand, post it here.
Would it not be too hot in Thailand in July?   
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

laoislad

Hoping to book Thailand for 2 weeks in July. Would like to spend about 3 nights in Bangkok before heading out to one of the island resorts.

Are you into threesomes?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Billys Boots

Rois, it's over 15 yrs since I was in Cancun, so I'd imagine it has changed significantly - there are so many restaurants that I'd be inclined to get something basic (though don't forego aircon) and eat out.  The town of Cancun is nicer than the resort and you'll get far better quality and variety of food there (and real local food too).  The resort consists of a sand-spit heading out along the Gulf of Mexico for 17km - there are hotels, restaurants and shops crammed on either side of the road for the entirety of the road.  It's mainly US chains with the odd local concern thrown in.  In the summer, the population of the town remains at ca. 400,000, with 1,800,000 on the spit.  There are two island close by that could be good to stay: Cozumel is pretty posh/expensive, and Isla Mujeres is also nice (but tiny) and probably a good bit less expensive.

The resort of Tulum is not very far away either - it used to be much smaller than Cancun, and a bit more upmarket. 

Lastly, if you're heading that way you absolutely must go see Chichen Itza - just magnificent, mind-blowing. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Rois

Quote from: Billys Boots on April 03, 2013, 04:31:23 PM
Rois, it's over 15 yrs since I was in Cancun, so I'd imagine it has changed significantly - there are so many restaurants that I'd be inclined to get something basic (though don't forego aircon) and eat out.  The town of Cancun is nicer than the resort and you'll get far better quality and variety of food there (and real local food too).  The resort consists of a sand-spit heading out along the Gulf of Mexico for 17km - there are hotels, restaurants and shops crammed on either side of the road for the entirety of the road.  It's mainly US chains with the odd local concern thrown in.  In the summer, the population of the town remains at ca. 400,000, with 1,800,000 on the spit.  There are two island close by that could be good to stay: Cozumel is pretty posh/expensive, and Isla Mujeres is also nice (but tiny) and probably a good bit less expensive.

The resort of Tulum is not very far away either - it used to be much smaller than Cancun, and a bit more upmarket. 

Lastly, if you're heading that way you absolutely must go see Chichen Itza - just magnificent, mind-blowing.

Thanks for that! 
Chichen Itza is the main reason we're going - BF is mad keen to see it (is it an "it"?  I don't really know what exactly we'll be seeing!). 

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Rois on April 03, 2013, 02:39:27 PM
Does anyone on here have any good Mexico resort recommendations?

There are so many - some are reasonably priced, some are ridiculously expensive but I'm worried in case the reasonably priced ones are rubbish.  On the other hand, I couldn't justify an additional £300/£400 for a slightly better standard of food.
never been, but from what I hear it may be worth the extra few hundred to avoid rubbish food and sick stomach that can hit you for  few days.

Hardstation
stayed in mandarin oriental - beautiful hotel - got it for a good price.
go on river cruise, see the 'wat' - temple on the banks of the river.
check out surkumvit road and the various shopping centres.

we went then to koh samui.
stayed in santaburi hotel  - beautiful but pricey (again got a good deal on it). chaweng has better beach and has a lively town, we had 20 min tuk tuk taxi bus ride to get to it each day.
may be a better idea to try the waterfront hotel in the fishermans village - I think it is called. a couple of miles from chaweng- its on a decent beach with loads of great restaurants and a pub (was owned by a paddy so its effectively and Irish bar).
local restaurants in fishermans village and in chaweng (and in bangkok) are v cheap.
the main courses are only a couple of euros each. however they are small portions -prob why the thais are small and we are fat - so I used to order a few at a time. yes fat fecker I am. beer is cheap and so are soft drinks.
there are more upscale restaurants in chaweng and bangkok that are equal to dublin restaurant prices. if you like thai food, then you dont need to go near them.
there are shops/markets selling knock off gear from clothes, to electronics to sunglasses to footwear.
one shop selling knock off handbags wanted the misus to spend 110 euros on a 'real fake' handbag - their words not mine.  a louis vitton that costs 1200 here and wouldnt take less than 110 for it. I told them to feck off.
the misus loved the thai massages - from 4-8 euros a go. she made me have one and it was a bit bemusing having a wee thai lady jump up and down on my back. i'd rather have bought two beers instead.
beaches and water not as good as the caribbean but nice place and can be cheap if researched.

laoislad

You should have asked for the 'happy ending' massage lynchbhoy I'm sure you would have enjoyed it more then.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

seafoid

Quote from: hardstation on April 03, 2013, 04:28:11 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 03, 2013, 04:24:12 PM

Don't know. Gonna find out I suppose.

http://www.travelfish.org/weather/thailand/july

I would probably go in the autumn

Hardy

Quote from: seafoid on April 03, 2013, 07:51:13 PM

Given your principled opposition to air travel you'll want to be heading off this weekend, so.

seafoid

Quote from: Hardy on April 03, 2013, 07:53:16 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 03, 2013, 07:51:13 PM

Given your principled opposition to air travel you'll want to be heading off this weekend, so.
I was thinking of going via Suez, Hardy. But after the monsoon.

heffo

Cancun is still pretty much the same - long line of US mostly 5* hotels along that stretch.

The town has a lot more character - you can find hostels etc in the town.

The resort has lots of bars/restaurants etc but no different from a town centre in Santa Ponsa etc.

Further down the Yucatan peninsula, Playa Del Carmen is nice and not as American touristy as Cancun.

Tulum is further down again and is a great spot. On the same stretch of beach instead of 5* hotels you can get beach huts and most of the places around there are eco-resorts which mean limited electricity at night and salt water showers - not as bad as it sounds.

Tulum is also a great place as a base to see the sights in the area - ruins, cenotes etc.

I've spent about a week in all three places so if you book somewhere pm me and I can give more detailed info

Rois

Thanks for that heffo - Tulum is sounding like a place I would strongly consider. 

Billys Boots

Quote from: Rois on April 03, 2013, 04:57:43 PM

Thanks for that! 
Chichen Itza is the main reason we're going - BF is mad keen to see it (is it an "it"?  I don't really know what exactly we'll be seeing!).

Wiki Chichen Itza: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chichen_Itza.

If it's the heritage stuff you're into (and you won't be disappointed), you should consider staying in Tulum and doing a day-trip to Chichen Itza.  Do NOT hire a car in Mexico - they won't insure you (or wouldn't in the past anyway) and the military are likely to stop you so often it's impossible to get anywhere.  Maybe it's changed by now. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

heffo

Quote from: Billys Boots on April 04, 2013, 10:13:44 AM
Quote from: Rois on April 03, 2013, 04:57:43 PM

Thanks for that! 

Wiki Chichen Itza: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chichen_Itza.

If it's the heritage stuff you're into (and you won't be disappointed), you should consider staying in Tulum and doing a day-trip to Chichen Itza.  Do NOT hire a car in Mexico - they won't insure you (or wouldn't in the past anyway) and the military are likely to stop you so often it's impossible to get anywhere.  Maybe it's changed by now.

Renting a car is a nightmare in that part of Mexico.

The police will pull you over when they see a foreigner driving a rental and insist on a cash fine for driving too slow/too fast/bald tyres/etc

Taxis are reasonable and there are plenty of buses

Orior

Yeah yeah, but did they steal the pyramid design from the Egyptians?

Or did aliens from outspace plant the idea?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians