Leinster U-20 Football 2018

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, November 29, 2017, 12:57:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bamford1995

It's not an ideal appointment but who else was the candidates?? Shocking county for slating lads, would u give up your time to train the lads??  Billy wud be highly regarded down in Killeen and even in Dublin. Done great things with Dit and underage coaching in Killeen, ain't too much difference in a college team and an u20 team

Don Draper

Quote from: town1980 on January 28, 2018, 11:05:25 PM
K don cry away but look at what you said and what I said report me to the principal... I stand by my reaction to your post eeji :' :'(
I'm leaving it to the authorities from this point. I'm quite shaken by your vicious attack truth be told.

From the Terrace

Also heard paddy Dunne in for this after winning leinster junior club title, either him or mark rooney with him winning laois intermediate + getting laois minors to leinster final a couple of years ago were a better fit for this. I am disappointed with fergal byron & shaggy for this farcical situation.

Tintin84

Can this appointment be rejected by any chance.?

From the Terrace

I presume it can but not sure of the procedure. Its not his job until he is ratified at the county committee meeting tonight.

Laois fan

A surprising and slightly uninspiring appointment ,would like to know full list of candidates wonder was others looking for payment and billy maybe not a factor.my main concern would be what knowledge he would have of underage scene in laois and will players bother going in with all the negativity surrounding it.

BallyroanAbu

Billy would not have been my choice nor near it, but I am surprised he took the job.  Its an impossible task, most other counties are back a couple of months and he is looking at least the end of Feb before he can get going properly.   I think he would do well to get a couple of results.

Tintin84

Paddy Dunne from Rosenallis and Mark Rooney are the only Two I know of that had interviews, Hard to see how either of those would not be selected ahead of him, Again it is definitely politics that's playing it's part here. Fergal Byron on the panel and Declan O'Loughlin was a selector with Micko when he was in charge, It's absolutely impossible for him to be given this job on past experiences, It's nothing against the chap but he has done nothing of club management no experience say what you want about college whatever he has done it's nothing compared to having a team from January to September 3 nights a week training, College football ran off in a couple of weeks and based on players available at college very easy be successful. This should be rejected by the county board tonight.

Don Draper

Quote from: Tintin84 on January 29, 2018, 10:19:44 AM
Again it is definitely politics that's playing it's part here. Fergal Byron on the panel and Declan O'Loughlin was a selector with Micko when he was in charge
Thats quite an accusation to make against our new coaching officer, a man who I would have great time for.

The PRO

Mark Rooney should have got that job. Did a great job two years ago with the same team at minor level.

Don Draper

Quote from: The PRO on January 29, 2018, 12:30:19 PM
Mark Rooney should have got that job. Did a great job two years ago with the same team at minor level.
Any idea why Mark wasn't kept on at the time.

The PRO

Quote from: Don Draper on January 29, 2018, 12:32:05 PM
No

Don Draper

Quote from: The PRO on January 29, 2018, 12:47:41 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on January 29, 2018, 12:32:05 PM
No
I see

Clubber Lang

If memory serves me correctly that minor team were easily beaten by Meath, Kildare and Galway. By a pure fluke of a draw they managed to avoid the strongest three/four teams in Leinster in quarter and semi-finals. 

Billy is young, ambitious and can relate very well with young lads. He has been part of a set up that has reached a Leinster club final which they realistically should have won. He has serious connections built up over the last decade or more through his work at colleges level and I know many inter-county players from other counties speak positively of him.

Why not give him a chance and see what he can achieve in the job. At end of day there was an interview process and he clearly stood out as the most outstanding candidate. With Phelan in as minor manager and Billy in as U20 it is good to see the county board appointing young managers with determination and drive.     

Don Draper

They were abysmal in that Leinster Final v Kildare, who in turn were massacred by Kerry. They missed a world of goal chances v Galway in the next round, a comical amount.