Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 18, 2019, 06:21:28 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 18, 2019, 06:05:47 PM
Quote from: MayoBuck on September 18, 2019, 12:27:46 AM
Quote from: Mayo Border on September 18, 2019, 12:10:47 AM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 17, 2019, 11:28:28 PM
Quote from: highorlow on September 17, 2019, 10:14:30 PM
Topic was on prime time there this evening. Anyone with RTE1 +1 will get it at 22:30

Great praise for those Dublin GAA volunteers from the chairman of Na Fianna. Undoubtably the best and hardest working volunteers in the land. And an example to the rest of us.
The Na Fianna man refused to acknowledge the exorbitant funding available to Dublin GAA. He confirmed the bar has been raised and it is up to all other counties to raise their levels to catch up. And  he mentioned the hundreds of thousands of hours the volunteers put in including his club's 174 teams

It was pretty pointless having someone like him on prime time (a club mate of John Horan). He had no authority to speak about the Dublin finances.

You have to admit it was poorly covered. McStay was asked his opinion and he danced around the issue.  The Na Fianna lad stuck to the script, ''we have suffered, it's our time now, full credit to our amazing volunteers''. Sounbytes were played from an Ewan McKenna interview done earlier on Skype. Ewan on Twitter said the interview was 19 minutes long and was condensed to 90 seconds. So you can imagine how much detail was used from that interview.

In all it had a feel of RTE wanting to cover the topic but not wanting to ruffle any feathers in the Capital.

It's dangerous ground here. You don't want to be upsetting sponsors and a majority of the work force in RTE are from Dublin.

So here we are the rhetoric from Dublin who has set the bar so high, telling us (the rest of the Gaelic family) To get our house in order and try harder.

"Qu'ils mangent de la brioche"

I think nearly all counties are falling short in some way. Dublin are probably at maximum at present. My experience over my lifetime tells me that this doesn't last forever and no Dublin supporter I talk to thinks it will either. And it won't.

Maybe it won't if you look through the history of the GAA for case studies but we are really in uncharted territory here. Dublin's vast (and ever growing) population coupled with vast funding (and proper organisation). Dublin always had the population advantage but now they have the financial and logistical advantages as well.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Blowitupref on September 18, 2019, 06:57:50 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 18, 2019, 05:51:32 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 18, 2019, 03:00:10 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on September 18, 2019, 02:08:40 PM
Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on September 18, 2019, 03:20:43 AM

2019: Kerry led by a point at the end of normal time and David Moran just had to play a routine pass to Tommy Walsh, who was completely unmarked, for what would surely have been the decisive score. He took a play instead, lost possession, and Dublin drew and won the replay convincingly.

That's one way to look at it another would be in the last 10 minutes of the drawn match (3 minutes of normal time and 7 minutes of injury time) Kerry did not have one shot. Only had 4 possessions and only got inside the Dublin 45 once. The signs were clear if Dublin had 15 men for all of the replay they would be winning it comfortably as they did.

In other words you have to go back 2 years since Dublin didn't win a 15 v 15 match convincingly and Kerry were better in 2016 as they didn't have the extra man advantage for one full half to push Dublin all the way.

Quote from: Hound on September 18, 2019, 01:34:53 PM
I fully believe there will be no more than a kick of the ball between Dublin and Kildare should they play in Leinster next year and await with interest the PP odds.
Based on what?

Kevin McStay :

"Dublin therefore know they are athletically better conditioned than the other teams. That gives you an enormous weapon in any ball sport. So on Saturday night, Dublin went after the likes of David Clifford and Moran and they took them on tours of the park. They tested their aerobic capacity. They want to empty them of gas. It is no coincidence that Kerry stopped scoring in the last 15 minutes of both finals. It is Dublin's movement off the ball that staggers me. They have a near sadistic appetite for punishing running. And they tackle hard so you will be sore and sucking for oxygen when you get up. Again and again. Look at the domination of the All-Blacks. It is built on physical supremacy. It is built on pace and power. That is what Dublin are about now."

What proof does he have of this? It's totally ridiculous. Dublin's (and the All Black's) skill levels are off the charts. To suggest otherwise gives away that you're pushing an agenda which I guess is no surprise from this guy.

Kerry had plenty of scoring chances in the last 15 minutes the last day but missed shots or tried to work a goal. They matched Dublin in every aspect for the two games bar taking chances.

Between the 57th minute and full time which was 77th minute. Kerry scored 1 point from S O'Shea from play. They had 3 wides, 1 each from Geaney,Barry,Moran all tired looking shots and they also have 3 aimless looking balls into square that Dublin's defence and Cluxton dealt with easily.

The only clear cut goal chance in the final 20 minutes of action was for Dublin and if Connolly had laid off the ball instead of shooting it probably would have been a goal.

I think in the second game they took wrong options due to the pressure dictated by the games situation and maybe their inexperience.

Did Kevin explain why Kerry didn't score a lot in the opening minutes of the game?

highorlow

QuoteDid Kevin explain why Kerry didn't score a lot in the opening minutes of the game?

I wondered that myself. Dublin obviously were up for it more at the start of the replay due to the scare in the first match. The point after 17 seconds was a great boost and got the home fans up and running also which obviously fed into the Dublin momentum and quelled any of Kerry's.

With a 6 O'Clock throw in did Kerry travel up on the day or the night beforehand? If it was the night before it must have been painful hanging around all day for the match to start?

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Taylor

Quote from: highorlow on September 18, 2019, 11:22:55 PM
QuoteDid Kevin explain why Kerry didn't score a lot in the opening minutes of the game?

I wondered that myself. Dublin obviously were up for it more at the start of the replay due to the scare in the first match. The point after 17 seconds was a great boost and got the home fans up and running also which obviously fed into the Dublin momentum and quelled any of Kerry's.

With a 6 O'Clock throw in did Kerry travel up on the day or the night beforehand? If it was the night before it must have been painful hanging around all day for the match to start?

Kerry didnt score at the beginning of the game because they played high balls into the scoring zone hoping to get a break for a goal.

Great if it comes off but looks piss poor if you return nothing in those 3 or 4 attacks.

seafoid

Topic was on prime time there this evening. Anyone with RTE1 +1 will get it at 22:30

Great praise for those Dublin GAA volunteers from the chairman of Na Fianna. Undoubtably the best and hardest working volunteers in the land. And an example to the rest of us.
The Na Fianna man refused to acknowledge the exorbitant funding available to Dublin GAA. He confirmed the bar has been raised and it is up to all other counties to raise their levels to catch up. And  he mentioned the hundreds of thousands of hours the volunteers put in including his club's 174 teams

It was pretty pointless having someone like him on prime time (a club mate of John Horan). He had no authority to speak about the Dublin finances.

You have to admit it was poorly covered. McStay was asked his opinion and he danced around the issue.  The Na Fianna lad stuck to the script, ''we have suffered, it's our time now, full credit to our amazing volunteers''. Sounbytes were played from an Ewan McKenna interview done earlier on Skype. Ewan on Twitter said the interview was 19 minutes long and was condensed to 90 seconds. So you can imagine how much detail was used from that interview.

In all it had a feel of RTE wanting to cover the topic but not wanting to ruffle any feathers in the Capital.

It's dangerous ground here. You don't want to be upsetting sponsors and a majority of the work force in RTE are from Dublin.

So here we are the rhetoric from Dublin who has set the bar so high, telling us (the rest of the Gaelic family) To get our house in order and try harder.

Answer these questions though:

Is your county team manager and his backroom team as good as Jim Gavin and his crew?
Have they instilled the same humility, dedication to the process and mental strength into their panellists?
Is your county board as good as Dublin's?
Does your county board develop strategic plans to move your county forward and see them through?
Do you have a defined, successful pathway to develop underage players through to the county setup?
Do you rush players into the senior team in the hope they can bring instant success rather than introduce them gradually?

I think nearly all counties are falling short in some way. Dublin are probably at maximum at present. My experience over my lifetime tells me that this doesn't last forever and no Dublin supporter I talk to thinks it will either. And it won't. This crying and cribbing over money used to coach kids in national schools is pitiful really.
Peter Canavan said that Dublin uphold an amateur ethos with a professional structure while the rest maintain an amateur ethos within an amateur structure.
They have professionalised player development.
Dublin Country board insist that they still have loads of work to do in Cherrywood so please keep the money flowing in.
They don't care about the health of the game of Gaelic Football.
Neither do the suits in Croke Park.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

highorlow

QuotePeter Canavan said that Dublin uphold an amateur ethos with a professional structure while the rest maintain an amateur ethos within an amateur structure.

The irony is that in 3 to 4 years football will be totally ruined. The unintended consequence of this is that you have promising talent in counties outside Dublin that will turn to soccer, rugby and Aus rules. Why would they bother with GAA?

Yesterday a Meath man told me that two of the better Meath minors from a few years back are now gone to Australia, I also heard that one of our best Mayo minors from this year will go down the rugby route.

When the same effort as professional sportsmen and women is now needed to match Dublin then it's hard to blame a young lad or lassie outside Dublin switching codes. We are going to see a lot more of this in the next few years.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

heffo

Quote from: seafoid on September 19, 2019, 08:35:19 AM

Is your county team manager and his backroom team as good as Jim Gavin and his crew?
Have they instilled the same humility, dedication to the process and mental strength into their panellists?
Does your county board develop strategic plans to move your county forward and see them through?
Do you have a defined, successful pathway to develop underage players through to the county setup?
Do you rush players into the senior team in the hope they can bring instant success rather than introduce them gradually?

I think nearly all counties are falling short in some way. Dublin are probably at maximum at present. My experience over my lifetime tells me that this doesn't last forever and no Dublin supporter I talk to thinks it will either. And it won't. This crying and cribbing over money used to coach kids in national schools is pitiful really.
Peter Canavan said that Dublin uphold an amateur ethos with a professional structure while the rest maintain an amateur ethos within an amateur structure.
Dublin Country board insist that they still have loads of work to do in Cherrywood so please keep the money flowing in.

Did anyone ask Peter where the €120m from the British Govt to the Ulster council is gone? has this been distributed equally among all 32 counties?

seafoid

Quote from: highorlow on September 19, 2019, 09:18:28 AM
QuotePeter Canavan said that Dublin uphold an amateur ethos with a professional structure while the rest maintain an amateur ethos within an amateur structure.

The irony is that in 3 to 4 years football will be totally ruined. The unintended consequence of this is that you have promising talent in counties outside Dublin that will turn to soccer, rugby and Aus rules. Why would they bother with GAA?

Yesterday a Meath man told me that two of the better Meath minors from a few years back are now gone to Australia, I also heard that one of our best Mayo minors from this year will go down the rugby route.

When the same effort as professional sportsmen and women is now needed to match Dublin then it's hard to blame a young lad or lassie outside Dublin switching codes. We are going to see a lot more of this in the next few years.
It's also the Allstars missed out on,  the teams that didn't make it past the blue ceiling that in other years might have kicked on and won all Irelands, the kids who didn't experience their county winning etc
It reminds me of the difference between the provincial rugby teams and the rugby clubs. The GAA built a provincial team but forgot to build teams to play against it.

The problem won't fix itself.  Something drastic will have to happen.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyCake

Quote from: seafoid on September 19, 2019, 09:27:22 AM

It's also the Allstars missed out on,  the teams that didn't make it past the blue ceiling that in other years might have kicked on and won all Irelands, the kids who didn't experience their county winning etc
It reminds me of the difference between the provincial rugby teams and the rugby clubs. The GAA built a provincial team but forgot to build teams to play against it.

The problem won't fix itself.  Something drastic will have to happen.

Excellent way of putting it!

BennyCake

Forget about 3/4 years time. Football is already ruined.

In order for any county to win an AI, they have to match what Dublin do. But how is that even possible with all the funding Dublin get? It's a futile exercise. Players won't even bother participating anymore, as they'd have to train like animals, and still get nowhere near the top prize.

Halfquarter

Quote from: heffo on September 19, 2019, 09:21:13 AM
Quote from: seafoid on September 19, 2019, 08:35:19 AM

Link ?

Did anyone ask Peter where the €120m from the British Govt to the Ulster council is gone? has this been distributed equally among all 32 counties?

armaghniac

Quote from: Half quarter

Most immature post of the year.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

heffo

Quote from: armaghniac on September 19, 2019, 11:18:49 AM
Quote from: Half quarter

Most immature post of the year.

How so? This funding coincided with the AI wins of Armagh & Tyrone did it not?

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

TheGreatest

Quote from: Taylor on September 19, 2019, 08:15:33 AM
Quote from: highorlow on September 18, 2019, 11:22:55 PM

Kerry didnt score at the beginning of the game because they played high balls into the scoring zone hoping to get a break for a goal.

Great if it comes off but looks piss poor if you return nothing in those 3 or 4 attacks.

Myth exposed that Dublin fullback line was weak under the high ball.