Big weekend for Sligo

Started by magpie seanie, March 30, 2007, 12:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Well the season is ratcheted up a notch this weekend with a few things to be decided for the all blacks this weekend. First up are the minors at 1pm on Saturday against Roscommon in the Connacht league. This squad is progressing along nicely and a lot of lads are getting a good crack of the whip. A win here would keep us alive in the competition but the preformance and potential are the key things. The minors also play a challenge on Sunday before the senior game so a lot of lads with championship ambitions have a chance to lay down a marker.

Next up are the U-21's ar 2.30pm on Saturday. I don't know a lot about this side but from the names being mentioned I know that we have some good players and I'd expect a good performance. The Rossies will no doubt be including several of their All-Ireland winning minors from last year but hopefully we'll be able to give them a good rattle and advance. We lost to them 3 years ago at minor due to a good last 10 minutes for them lead by their captain but there are alot of changes from Sligo's dubious selection that day.

Sunday then sees the must win senior tie against Antrim at 3.30pm in the Park. Hopefully tension doesn't set in and the lads can perform to the levels of recent weeks while being a little more clinical. A win is essential and every point is going to count. The Tipp v. Wicklow game has a huge bearing on everything for us. I still can't work out what result I want in it. If Tipp win I'd expect them to beat Antrim the week after and then even if we win our two games we could still end up fecked. If Wicklow win its probably best as it leaves our destiny in our own hands. A draw keeps it all up in the air but maybe favours Tipp. It's going to be tight.

Not to forget our gallent hurlers who face Donegal on Sunday in Tourlestrane. A win or draw would guarantee a playoff spot which is very notable as it would have been achieved without several of our better players, who have taken a rest from the league, including Paul Seevers.

realredhandfan

I remember the TV license lady catching me out a couple of years ago.  Luckily enough Sligo V Kildare was on the telly so she only fined me half as much.

Teeling Gael

Big weekend alright. By all accounts Moyles is very professional in all his dealings and would expect our ultimate minor team to play to their potential in the Connaught Championship. Unfortunately if one was to read anything into the Galway Connaught league match last weekend, one would imagine that a Connaught championship is beyound them.

Home advantage could make difference for U21's . Its a relatively low profile team with kelly the only player with significant senior experience. Coen seems to be the undoubted star of the team and cant see there being much between the sides at the end.

T Breheny is for the first time coming under pressure and it will be interesting how the team response to being favourites on Sunday. Whilst I don't have a huge problem with pulling back 1 forward behind midfield , 2 seems a little OTT. Rather than getting closer to a settled team for the championship , I am worried that the opposite seems to be happening as the league progresses.

The Hurlers are doing much better than expected however Donegal will test their progress at the weekend. Good to see the base of clubs being represented increasing with Coolera and Shamrock gaels leading the revolution at underage levels.

bingobus

It is indeed...myself and 4 lads are heading over for the weekend. Expect us at 8pm this evening.

magpie seanie

The red carpet will be out bingobus.

bingobus

I would expect that at the very least. Our darling wifes are sending us away (Christmas presents). Who are we to refuse.

magpie seanie

I assume you know the run of the place. If you have any questions send me a pm and I'd be delighted to help you.

SLIGONIAN

Ya bingobus you'll have great weekend. Weather will be decent so enjoy your stay.

On to Sligo GAA matters. Im looking forward to this weekend because it'll give me a huge insight into the present and future of Sligo Football. This is a massive weekend. Sligo minors are doing grand. He made plenty of changes for the Galway game so not too worried about the result. It'll be the same SAT and SUN. Every player getting a chance. Can only benefit when comes to championship.I will watch both games.

Sligo seniors worrying times I think.. No consistency yet and tactically poor so far but wouldnt write us off yet. Rossies are talking Connaught finals but we will be different Sligo in championship no doubt. Hope to see Sean Davey midfield as he is at his best facing the goals. Mc Garty Doohan Marren all nearly fully fit which will be addition. Mcnamara needs more games to get back where he was at. J Martyn will be back too. I expect a big performance Sunday and a win.

I always keep an eye on the hurlers progress so wish them luck against Donegal. Would love to see them in the Nicky Rackard cup final in croker in the summer.

All in all this weekend will tell us an awful lot. Who are the minors playing Sunday and is it curtain raiser to seniors?

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

SLIGONIAN

Ross looking at connaught final already>>>>lets hope we stick it to them.cocky ba*tards......... sligeach abu...

Roscommon manager John Maughan has a busy weekend as his side take on Leitrim in an important NFL clash on Sunday, but his attentions will be first turned to the Connacht Under-21 semi final clash against Sligo on Saturday, March 31st.

Maughan has admitted that he is hugely impressed by the commitment that the players have shown in their preparations for this match and he is confident that will pay dividends on Saturday.

"I'd be confident that if this team play to their potential, winning will take care of itself. We've a very talented group of players and I'd like to see how they would get on in the Connacht final. That would be the benchmark for us," said Maughan.

Roscommon have their injury worries ahead of the match as James Callery and Martin Guilford are definitely ruled out through injury for the semi final.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

all star

Will be going to the under 21 game. watch out for our own club man brian kenndy it great to see him back he hasn't played much football over the last two years with two serious knee problems. he is a serious player and for tourelstrane to win a championship this year we need him to perform. On sunday a win is a must and there can't really be any more  Excuses players need to stand up and be counted, or all hard work over the last seven years will have been waisted.

Ryano

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on March 30, 2007, 02:19:53 PM
Ross looking at connaught final already>>>>lets hope we stick it to them.cocky ba*tards......... sligeach abu...

Maughan has admitted that he is hugely impressed by the commitment that the players have shown in their preparations for this match and he is confident that will pay dividends on Saturday.

"I'd be confident that if this team play to their potential, winning will take care of itself. We've a very talented group of players and I'd like to see how they would get on in the Connacht final. That would be the benchmark for us," said Maughan.

Cocky bas*ards!! Hardly, we are Roscommon after all, what in Gods name have we to be cocky about? 1 minor AI in 50 odd years. Maughan is mearly stating that he is impressed with the work and commitment players are putting in (given up on the naked pool then?) and it should show in their performance tomorrow according to him.

If they play to their full potential they can win, but you can say that about any team out there!The final is the benchmark for us and all other sides and who would not like to see how their team would fare in the final against the big two of Mayo and Galway, two recent AI winners at this level.

If you think thats being cocky well then i guess we are cocky! Whatever you need to motivate yourselves lads...

Rossfan

Hoping for a successful trip to Sligo on Saturday in the U21.
As for the minor I suspect both sides will be "experimental" as they meet in the Championship in only 5 or 6 weeks.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Shrewdness

Results from Markievicz Park today..........CONNACHT MINOR LEAGUE, ROSCOMMON 0-14, SLIGO 0-8.............CONNACHT U-21 CHAMPIONSHIP SEMI FINAL, ROSCOMMON 1-14, SLIGO 0-10.

In the minor match, Ros lead by 0-9 to 0-2 at half time, Sligo got it back to 0-8 to 0-10, but Ros closed it out to win by 0-14 to 0-8.

In the u-21 game, Ros were always in control. led by 0-9 to 0-6 at half time, and finished it off in the second half and finished the game with 7 of last year's minors on the field.

Mayo beat Galway 1-11 to 0-9 in the other semi, and the final will be in Castlebar next Saturday.