Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

I'm still puzzled at how anyone can justify paying £85m for a player like Pogba and have no idea where to play him. And Di Maria before him. I'd argue Lukaku too, as although he's playing in the right position, the service he gets is deadful. He plays off the last shoulder but United want him to be Shane Long runnerman.

If United fans are looking to work out why they've been knocked off their perch, don't look at the Glazers and their spending. Look at this.

Milltown Row2

Beat by a top 6 team away from home, this  after 5 wins in a row and everyone loses their shit, Liverpool did the same and bounced back and will probably beat spurs next... City have just cruised ahead with little or no mistakes and the system they play is great! Like spurs and Liverpool!

Utd have gifted players that look like they are just playing off the cuff stuff..

Run of poor form by some players lately hasn't helped, results against lesser teams has papered over those problems! I think next year will see a more settled team, but if City keep Pep and expand their squad they will dominate again..

Utd with Jose is still a better team than LVG and Moyes had
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

screenexile

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 31, 2018, 10:39:53 PM
Guardian reported Fellini stormed off the pitch and threw his jersey away on the way up the tunnel. Must have been very frustrated at his, ahem, injury.  ::)

In fairness I just saw a video of him hurting the knee and hobbling about so will give the benefit of the doubt on this occasion.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: thewobbler on January 31, 2018, 11:01:12 PM
I'm still puzzled at how anyone can justify paying £85m for a player like Pogba and have no idea where to play him. And Di Maria before him. I'd argue Lukaku too, as although he's playing in the right position, the service he gets is deadful. He plays off the last shoulder but United want him to be Shane Long runnerman.

If United fans are looking to work out why they've been knocked off their perch, don't look at the Glazers and their spending. Look at this.
I think most United supporters knew they were off their perch once Ferguson retired. Finishing in the top three will still be a big improvement on that past 4 seasons.

ashman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 31, 2018, 11:15:40 PM
Beat by a top 6 team away from home, this  after 5 wins in a row and everyone loses their shit, Liverpool did the same and bounced back and will probably beat spurs next... City have just cruised ahead with little or no mistakes and the system they play is great! Like spurs and Liverpool!

Utd have gifted players that look like they are just playing off the cuff stuff..

Run of poor form by some players lately hasn't helped, results against lesser teams has papered over those problems! I think next year will see a more settled team, but if City keep Pep and expand their squad they will dominate again..

Utd with Jose is still a better team than LVG and Moyes had

Damning with faint praise .

Syferus

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 31, 2018, 11:25:39 PM

I think most United supporters knew they were off their perch once Ferguson retired. Finishing in the top three will still be a big improvement on that past 4 seasons.

They ended up off their perch mainly because of a lot of late era Ferguson transfer madness.

No reason they can't challenge properly for the title next season with the squad they currently have and the expected additions in the summer.

ashman

Man city are now on another level .  Simple as that .

Syferus

Quote from: ashman on February 01, 2018, 12:56:57 AM

Chelsea were last season. You're mad if you think what holds for one season holds for the next.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Syferus on February 01, 2018, 01:04:39 AM
Quote from: ashman on February 01, 2018, 12:56:57 AM

Chelsea were last season. You're mad if you think what holds for one season holds for the next.

He made no reference to next season. Also he would hardly be mad if he did, it's not exactly irrational to believe that the team currently walking away with the title would be favourites for next season.

magpie seanie

I agree. Pogba was a disgrace last night. He cannot play that position for starters but to see a guy wearing the armband jogging around when his team was 0-2 down almost defied belief. Rio and the Lampards rightly got dug into him afterwards but I suppose they're just jealous of the money Pogba's on as well.  ::)

Lukaku certainly doesn't look worth what was paid for him. Mourinho seems to think he's going to turn him into Drogba or something. A good, honest player but he's really struggling.

And after all the spending we still have Jones and Smalling at the heart of the defence. I always felt if they stayed fit and got a good run in the side they'd be fine but I'm giving up now. Still think Smalling is a good defender but he's very uncomfortable with the ball at his feet. Jones mistake last night was awful. You can say unlucky but it was laziness going for the ball with the wrong foot.

NAG1

Disappointing result and performance last night, Spurs are the type of side as has been proven that if you keep them out of the game long enough they are easier to work with. The first goal was a killer, ridiculous defending. To be fair the response was good and with a bit more care Lingard should have equalised in that period United were sharp and crisp on the ball and attacked the Spurs back four, didnt last though and the pace of the game died and allowed Spurs to get into their rythmn.

Pogba was pretty annonymous and yeah he can work harder and make more tackles but when they are out numbered in there it was always going to be a tough night for him and Matic.

This clamour to blame JM every time there is a poor performance is getting tiresome, JM didnt lose that first header which caused the goal, he also didnt hoof one into his own net. He had a defence up to this game that operated well and had been keeping clean sheets, so there was no need to change it. Some times you hold your hands up and say Spurs played well, United didnt show up and gave them two goals. End of.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 01, 2018, 09:03:33 AM

I agree. Pogba was a disgrace last night. He cannot play that position for starters but to see a guy wearing the armband jogging around when his team was 0-2 down almost defied belief. Rio and the Lampards rightly got dug into him afterwards but I suppose they're just jealous of the money Pogba's on as well.  ::)

Lukaku certainly doesn't look worth what was paid for him. Mourinho seems to think he's going to turn him into Drogba or something. A good, honest player but he's really struggling.

And after all the spending we still have Jones and Smalling at the heart of the defence. I always felt if they stayed fit and got a good run in the side they'd be fine but I'm giving up now. Still think Smalling is a good defender but he's very uncomfortable with the ball at his feet. Jones mistake last night was awful. You can say unlucky but it was laziness going for the ball with the wrong foot.

An appalling last 70 mins, apart from the goal we played well until they scored their 2nd goal then we fell apart. Jones has been excellent this season but last night was shocking but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, as for Smalling I have no idea why he keeps getting picked; He's a complete liability who panics when he's on the ball and that breeds through the team.

Jose picked the wrong team, just hope it doesn't happen again. Against top opposition United need to play an extra midfielder and I'm sure that will happen for the rest of the season. They were all appalling last night apart from Valencia, but Pogba, Martial & Lukaku were the biggest frustrations. Lukaku has to do more, barely won a header last night or held up the ball when we badly needed him to do so. He'd improved his all round play in recent weeks but back to square one last night.

NAG1

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 01, 2018, 09:38:21 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on February 01, 2018, 09:03:33 AM

An appalling last 70 mins, apart from the goal we played well until they scored their 2nd goal then we fell apart. Jones has been excellent this season but last night was shocking but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, as for Smalling I have no idea why he keeps getting picked; He's a complete liability who panics when he's on the ball and that breeds through the team.

Jose picked the wrong team, just hope it doesn't happen again. Against top opposition United need to play an extra midfielder and I'm sure that will happen for the rest of the season. They were all appalling last night apart from Valencia, but Pogba, Martial & Lukaku were the biggest frustrations. Lukaku has to do more, barely won a header last night or held up the ball when we badly needed him to do so. He'd improved his all round play in recent weeks but back to square one last night.

Agreed MM

Actually for once Glenn Hoddle on commentary was spot on. If united could have worked the ball around for another pass in the attacking area Spurs were playing so high that a deep runner, like Lingard did would have been enough to unpick them with one decent through ball. The problem was that they kept trying it first time and was easy to read.

Anyway should be a lot of learning from the game last night, not going to catch city regardless so it is all about getting a decent run in the CL and improving the team as the season goes on.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: NAG1 on February 01, 2018, 09:03:59 AM
Disappointing result and performance last night, Spurs are the type of side as has been proven that if you keep them out of the game long enough they are easier to work with. The first goal was a killer, ridiculous defending. To be fair the response was good and with a bit more care Lingard should have equalised in that period United were sharp and crisp on the ball and attacked the Spurs back four, didnt last though and the pace of the game died and allowed Spurs to get into their rythmn.

Pogba was pretty annonymous and yeah he can work harder and make more tackles but when they are out numbered in there it was always going to be a tough night for him and Matic.

This clamour to blame JM every time there is a poor performance is getting tiresome, JM didnt lose that first header which caused the goal, he also didnt hoof one into his own net. He had a defence up to this game that operated well and had been keeping clean sheets, so there was no need to change it. Some times you hold your hands up and say Spurs played well, United didnt show up and gave them two goals. End of.

There's certainly an over reaction when we lose, this thread comes alive.

Mourhino got the team wrong last night and the subs too but I'm sure he's learnt from it. We gave them too much space and left the back 4 far too exposed. Matic's form too is a worry, was a lot better earlier on in the season.

Smalling though is out of his depth, can't understand why he's getting picked ahead of Rojo.

NAG1

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 01, 2018, 09:44:24 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on February 01, 2018, 09:03:59 AM

There's certainly an over reaction when we lose, this thread comes alive.

Mourhino got the team wrong last night and the subs too but I'm sure he's learnt from it. We gave them too much space and left the back 4 far too exposed. Matic's form too is a worry, was a lot better earlier on in the season.

Smalling though is out of his depth, can't understand why he's getting picked ahead of Rojo.

Yeah there seems to be an issue there when smalling is being picked ahead of Rojo especially when he is left sided. Smalling never looks settled or comfortable and that seems to spread through the team. I think Matic has dipped, but that is probably due to over work, when he is playing with 4 all out attack players ahead of him. Think maybe the confidence was too high and didnt give spurs enough respect tactically or team selection wise.