Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 09, 2018, 10:20:10 AM
Variations of training runs from my experience which may or may not help...

- hill reps - intent is to build leg strength and form. Find a reasonably steep hill and do minute reps. Start with 4 or 6 and progress it with 2 extra every other week up until about say 12. This is strength building so early in regime. N.b. The focus is form here not how fast you do them. Intent is last same speed as first.
- Fartlek- this is about pick ups over shortish periods on runs. So for example i do these in a forest where there is a two mile loop with about 5 hills. I pick up on the hills.
- intervals - there are many variations on these. My recommendation would be do a block of hill reps prior to these. They are not sprints so do at a controlled pace. e.g. We used to do 400s at 5k pace off 2 minutes so for example at the time i did 90 second 400s with 30 second rest. Start at about 6 and build up by 2 every other week up until about 12.
- tempo run - best form of training. 20 minutes "comfortably hard" so you should be on the edge of breathlessness but not quite there. If you do these with a bit of discipline you will really improve.
- long run. A must. You should run for over an hour once a week. Comfortable pace.
- recovery run. If you do back to back days then do one at a very comfortable pace.

There are variations on intervals duration wise etc but the above is how i started. Few weeks fartlek on tuesday, tempo on thursday long run sunday. Then tuesday moved to hill reps then itmoved to 400s. At the end of that you will be fit. Also bed hills into runs as they are massively helpful.

Focused training can improve you massively.
Solid advice.

The Jack Daniels running formula book is great.

A common mistake made is doing too large of a % of your weekly mileage at high intensity pace. Often see lads going out doing say,10x400m reps while only having a total volume of 25-30 miles per week. It's not really specific and people just pluck 10 reps out of nowhere. 20% of weekly mileage to be up around v02 max or above aerobic threshold is a better guide, the jack Daniels book has tables so you can gauge your v02 max based on a recent race rather than getting lab testing done. You can hit specific times for interval, tempo and long runs to give you a better training stimulus.
I've been tipping away since January doing this method so we'll see if any 10k or parkrun pbs fall this month!

trueblue1234

Quote from: ballinaman on March 09, 2018, 10:41:22 AM

- hill reps - intent is to build leg strength and form. Find a reasonably steep hill and do minute reps. Start with 4 or 6 and progress it with 2 extra every other week up until about say 12. This is strength building so early in regime. N.b. The focus is form here not how fast you do them. Intent is last same speed as first.
- Fartlek- this is about pick ups over shortish periods on runs. So for example i do these in a forest where there is a two mile loop with about 5 hills. I pick up on the hills.
- intervals - there are many variations on these. My recommendation would be do a block of hill reps prior to these. They are not sprints so do at a controlled pace. e.g. We used to do 400s at 5k pace off 2 minutes so for example at the time i did 90 second 400s with 30 second rest. Start at about 6 and build up by 2 every other week up until about 12.
- tempo run - best form of training. 20 minutes "comfortably hard" so you should be on the edge of breathlessness but not quite there. If you do these with a bit of discipline you will really improve.
- long run. A must. You should run for over an hour once a week. Comfortable pace.
- recovery run. If you do back to back days then do one at a very comfortable pace.

There are variations on intervals duration wise etc but the above is how i started. Few weeks fartlek on tuesday, tempo on thursday long run sunday. Then tuesday moved to hill reps then itmoved to 400s. At the end of that you will be fit. Also bed hills into runs as they are massively helpful.

Solid advice.

A common mistake made is doing too large of a % of your weekly mileage at high intensity pace. Often see lads going out doing say,10x400m reps while only having a total volume of 25-30 miles per week. It's not really specific and people just pluck 10 reps out of nowhere. 20% of weekly mileage to be up around v02 max or above aerobic threshold is a better guide, the jack Daniels book has tables so you can gauge your v02 max based on a recent race rather than getting lab testing done. You can hit specific times for interval, tempo and long runs to give you a better training stimulus.
I've been tipping away since January doing this method so we'll see if any 10k or parkrun pbs fall this month!

What's the story with vo2?  My watch measures this as well but don't really know what I'm meant to be looking at. I've just about got the hang of the heart monitor  ???
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

laoislad

Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 09, 2018, 11:00:44 AM

Solid advice.

What's the story with vo2?  My watch measures this as well but don't really know what I'm meant to be looking at. I've just about got the hang of the heart monitor  ???
My watch measures it also. Don't know how accurate it is or what it really means.
Mine says vo2 max of 51 at the moment.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

laoislad

Solid advice.

Any opinions on the Hansons marathon method ballinaman?
Bought the book off Amazon last week and have been reading through it. Was gonna follow it for Dublin Marathon this year.

imtommygunn

Exactly bm... Only 20 odd percent should be high quality. The vo2 stuff you mention is interesting.

A good barometer of current fitness / vo2 max etc would be to blast a parkrun.

Running isn't just a case of go out and run. You can do it like that but if you put a bit of structure in place your fitness and running paces can improve dramatically.

trueblue1234

Quote from: laoislad on March 09, 2018, 12:05:01 PM

Solid advice.

My watch measures it also. Don't know how accurate it is or what it really means.

Mine's at 49. No idea if that good, bad or normal. Might do a quick google tonight to see.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

ballinaman

Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 09, 2018, 01:34:15 PM
Quote from: laoislad on March 09, 2018, 12:05:01 PM

Solid advice.

Mine's at 49. No idea if that good, bad or normal. Might do a quick google tonight to see.
Wouldn't get too hung up on v02 max scores as you have have a low v02 max but have great running economy which translates into good times. I had v02 lab test done in 2012 and again in 2015 as a guinea pig for research when I was doing masters...horrible test with all the gear on.

Haven't read that book laoislad but the Jack Daniels book is well worth a look, about 20 quid on amazon.

imtommygunn

Only ever had the lactate tests done. Yeah wouldn't worry too much about vo2 max.

laoislad

That's one way to finish a Marathon..get on a bus!

https://youtu.be/x7aJJ2xUlgQ

WT4E

I've tried and failed in the past to get sub 20 for 5k. Best time was 20.17 over a year ago

I've decided to try again and have been doing some speed work as well as longer runs but my question was what should I be aiming for on repeat runs of 800m in terms of time.

I have been doing 8 x 400m recently and my speed is between 1.28 - 1.20 with 40sec break between.

Any tips?

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: WT4E on March 23, 2018, 01:45:39 PM
I've tried and failed in the past to get sub 20 for 5k. Best time was 20.17 over a year ago

I've decided to try again and have been doing some speed work as well as longer runs but my question was what should I be aiming for on repeat runs of 800m in terms of time.

I have been doing 8 x 400m recently and my speed is between 1.28 - 1.20 with 40sec break between.

Any tips?
muscle endurance is a big thing

you need to do some weight training to allow the legs sustain a higher pace over the whole 5K

Ty4Sam

Any tips?

How many miles a week did you/are you averaging? How many times a week are you training?

lfdown2

Any of you following this lad on facebook?

https://eoinkeith.wordpress.com/

He is competing in the Barkley marathons this weekend.

WT4E

Quote from: Ty4Sam on March 23, 2018, 02:41:08 PM

Any tips?

How many miles a week did you/are you averaging? How many times a week are you training?

I'm doing about 15 mile per week. Training about 3 -4 times

Gym/Swim maybe once a week.

WT4E

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on March 23, 2018, 02:15:45 PM

Any tips?
muscle endurance is a big thing

you need to do some weight training to allow the legs sustain a higher pace over the whole 5K

Thanks can you advise what type - weight.