Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: FermGael on May 04, 2020, 07:44:11 AM
What type ? Was looking at the ghost ones

I got the Brooks Adrenaline GTS19

I've a couple runs lately, seem fine so far. No major issues
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

I haven't use brooks ghost since about the 6 but I loved them. I have mizuno waves now which I like too but when asics really weren't working out for me I moved to ghost and they were great.

lurganblue

Was pain free with holding the heel up and hopping. Was even grand playing a bit of football with the child in the garden. Decided today was the day to try and do a very small jog. All was going great, no pain. 6 mins I got and then pop. Calf again. Going to have to give this one a real good rest. Very frustrating.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: lurganblue on May 14, 2020, 07:26:38 PM
Was pain free with holding the heel up and hopping. Was even grand playing a bit of football with the child in the garden. Decided today was the day to try and do a very small jog. All was going great, no pain. 6 mins I got and then pop. Calf again. Going to have to give this one a real good rest. Very frustrating.

That's crap, how long did you rest it from when it first pulled on you?

went out for a 6 miler on Tuesday morning, legs only feeling better now, thighs were burning,  few hills but Christ it feels good when you finish it!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lurganblue

Just over 3 weeks. Probably not enough but I had a false sense of being ready and was over eager. Gonna have to find something else to do to stay active to stop myself going stir crazy. Can't even go to a gym.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: lurganblue on May 14, 2020, 07:38:28 PM
Just over 3 weeks. Probably not enough but I had a false sense of being ready and was over eager. Gonna have to find something else to do to stay active to stop myself going stir crazy. Can't even go to a gym.

No weights at home? I bought weights flipping years ago and they lay in garage but they're being used constantly and not just me, kids are using them too! I've been doing pump classes on line and kettle bell classes.

But get walking at the very least, my dogs generally have me walking about 15k a day! Gets you out

laoislad

Dublin Marathon cancelled.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

PadraicHenryPearse

Sorry for long post.

I've just started running again. I'm 38 and i have never been fit in my adult life. I havent really trained properly since minor football, mid 20s made an attempt to comeback but lasted about 3/4 months and again at about 30 trained with some county players i knew for 6 weeks before my hamstring went.(did too much too soon) Over the years id have played a few junior games most years or 5 a side football but never consistently trained.

As a result of covid i no longer commute and can work from home for the next 5 months at least which is 3hrs a day i get back. I am running 3km 3 times a week for the last 4/5 weeks and moving to 4 times a week now. I started at 119kgs and im down to 109kgs which is making the running a little easier. Ideally i like to get down to 90/95 kgs..im 6"3.

My legs are hurting, calves, hamstrings, groin everything apart from quads.. i was thinking of powering through but not sure if this is the best option or what should i do? I have reduced my 3km time from 19.5 minutes to 17 minutes, this and the weight loss is encouraging me to keep going.

if anyone has any advise at all it would be more than welcomed...especially around injury prevention from overdoing it or am i best trying to run longer distance rather than faster 3kms..  thanks

SHEEDY

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on May 26, 2020, 10:04:34 PM
Sorry for long post.

I've just started running again. I'm 38 and i have never been fit in my adult life. I havent really trained properly since minor football, mid 20s made an attempt to comeback but lasted about 3/4 months and again at about 30 trained with some county players i knew for 6 weeks before my hamstring went.(did too much too soon) Over the years id have played a few junior games most years or 5 a side football but never consistently trained.

As a result of covid i no longer commute and can work from home for the next 5 months at least which is 3hrs a day i get back. I am running 3km 3 times a week for the last 4/5 weeks and moving to 4 times a week now. I started at 119kgs and im down to 109kgs which is making the running a little easier. Ideally i like to get down to 90/95 kgs..im 6"3.

My legs are hurting, calves, hamstrings, groin everything apart from quads.. i was thinking of powering through but not sure if this is the best option or what should i do? I have reduced my 3km time from 19.5 minutes to 17 minutes, this and the weight loss is encouraging me to keep going.

if anyone has any advise at all it would be more than welcomed...especially around injury prevention from overdoing it or am i best trying to run longer distance rather than faster 3kms..  thanks

first thing make sure you've a half decent pair of running shoes.
I wouldn't be worrying about times yet, better to be out enjoying it than busting yourself trying to beat times. There's plenty of time for that if you stick at it. Slower and steady at the start and try to slowly increase miles, pace will come later.
nil satis nisi optimum

dec

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on May 26, 2020, 10:04:34 PM
Sorry for long post.

"I have reduced my 3km time from 19.5 minutes to 17 minutes, this and the weight loss is encouraging me to keep going."

You don't need to set a record every time you run. You can back off, run 20-22 mins for 3k and still get health benefits. Mix in a few faster sections for a few minutes in some of your runs. Then in 3-4 weeks try for another PB. Maybe not as encouraging as going faster every time but it might help your running keep going.

Milltown Row2

Your body tells you it's sore and you need to rest it, stretch it and recover. And the muscle you're building will strengthen and you'll be able to increase your miles, losing weight is simple, start a healthy balanced diet that will supplement your extra miles!

Running is the ultimate full body workout, for me

BennyCake

Mix and match. I do that depending on mood. Walk, run, sprint, walk... etc.

Some days I can't be arsed and mixing it up gets me through it. Other days I go at a steady pace most of the way through.

imtommygunn

Build up aerobically first with slow runs and stretch a good bit too. It's tough at the beginning with running but starting slow helps.

andoireabu

Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

PadraicHenryPearse

thanks for all the advice..

i think my running shoes are ok, not causing any issues im aware of anyway. Healthy eating started 6 weeks ago and i dont miss the amount of crap i was eating.

while im not aiming for a pb every run i am setting myself goals but they might be too unrealistic and i might be putting my body under too much pressure.. there is definately a mental thing for me with seeing progess in terms of numbers, times, distance and weight. Without that visual i have previously tended to stop exercise, healthy eating etc. if i plateau. This is something i really need to get on top of so thanks again for your comments.

how long is the "beginning" in its "tough at the beginning" generally? ive never got past the beginning stage!!!