mc ginn and lennon

Started by bloodybreakball, January 10, 2011, 12:04:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil Genius

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 12, 2011, 05:35:47 PMfeck sake - you dont accept what ordinary folk say about not going to windsor park or supporting your crew..
I accept that many "ordinary [Nationalist] folk" will not attend WP, essentially because they believe it to be full of sectarianism etc.
And it is no wonder they do so, when you consider the atrocious standard of "reporting" in the media, plus the gripes of people who eg heark back half a century to the days of Johnny Crossan  :o, as "proof" of how bad things are.
But none of that means that they are correct in their perception - as those few Nationalists who do  go to WP can attest.
And the players...

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 12, 2011, 05:35:47 PMnot that I doubt niall mcginn, but what else would he say when interviewed unless he wanted to hear boos and set up his own arms dump from pressies he'd then receive!
"What else could he say?"
He could easily come up with something anodyne eg how good it is top be playing against top-class international opponents, or how pleased he is for an international manager to have faith in him, or how well he gets on with his teammates etc.
As for the fans, he could easily say something like "I've had no problems in settling in" etc, but instead he chose to be effusive.
Therefore there can only be two explanations. One, he's a bit of an arse-licker, who says what he thinks people want to hear (though maybe not people at Parkhead or in Donaghmore?).
Or two, he genuinely does get an excellent reception from the fans.
I know from my own direct experience that it is the latter - all the more surprising in that as a right winger, Niall was stepping into the shoes of a real NI legend in Keith Gillespie (still hoping to prolong his international career at the time).
But even if you don't believe me, consider this.
As proof he's no arse-licker, Niall is one of a few Nationalist players who conspicuously bow their head when GSTQ is being played. If the crowd really were so sectarian as you and others claim, do you honestly believe that they'd tolerate "treason" like that?
The fact is, the great majority of the (true) fans don't give a stuff which club he plays for, what foot he kicks with(!), or what Anthem he stands for - if he does the business in an NI shirt, that's all that matters.

But hey, what do I know, I only go to matches, whereas you read your paper to find out what's really going on... ::)

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 12, 2011, 05:35:47 PMdont know what your supporters think of McCourt, no roblem there-  but suspect it might have something to do with the lack of decent players on the squad.
he's got his game the past couple of weeks, and has come on as a sub quite often. Cant see that as being as regular enough but certainly better than last season. Seems tobe working harder and fitter too.
Yep, you've got that bit right, anyhow.

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 12, 2011, 05:35:47 PM
McGinn I will admit I was wrong on. This time last year i'd have given him away but he proved me and many more wrong with some wonderful displays at the end of autumn ...though lennon strangely dropped him and he hasnt really been fully back or as good since. if that stays the same, i I were him i'd be away.
And I'm more than happy to admit I was completely wrong about Niall, too. In fact I remember moaning out loud when NW brought him on from the bench for his debut - "FFS Nigel ! what's he going to do for us?" (He was still only a kid at Derry City, remember)
Within 10 minutes I was converted: not only did he want the ball at every opportunity, but he wanted to hurt the opposition w with it, as well. And since then, every game has been the same.

Quite honestly, in terms of "making an instant impact" in international football in the last 10 years, Niall is right up there with Jonny Evans and Steven Davis in an NI shirt. And I have little doubt that both of those two will go on to become absolute NI legends.

Here's to Niall joining them!
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Myles Na G.

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 13, 2011, 09:19:43 AM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on January 12, 2011, 10:10:13 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 12, 2011, 08:20:18 PM
Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on January 12, 2011, 05:44:30 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 12, 2011, 05:35:47 PM
not that I doubt niall mcginn, but what else would he say when interviewed unless he wanted to hear boos and set up his own arms dump from pressies he'd then receive!
On the balance of probabilities I think McGinn was being truthful.. He didn't have to declare for Northern Ireland, no one those.  FIFA (twice) and CAS have shown that.  Anyone from Northern Ireland can declare for the FAI crowd and the path is well trodden.  So when a nationalist like McGinn/McCourt opts to play for Northern Ireland, it's fair to say they are self-motivated to do so.
/Jim.
would agree with that, but the underlying motivation is undoubtedly to put themselves in the 'shop window'.
it would have been extremely unlikely they would have been selected by the Republic of Ireland.

Either way, mcginns comments are from a player perspective and I'd say are not reflective of perception of most nationalists/Irish/catholics etc on what following the north is all about - most would not countenance it as things have not changed as evil myles would like to think. Maybe in time they will, but its a hell of a long way off and i'd say the unified Ireland team will come before that !
Sorted that for you.  ;)
that mask must be somewhere around your ankles by now !!!
Just don't want the innocent GAA types on this Board to go away thinking that Niall and Paddy are Irish rugby players. No need for thanks.  8)

orangeman

Northern Ireland manager Nigel Worthington was in Belfast today to launch a sponsorship deal.

When asked how Mc Ginn and Mc Court were after the threats, Nigel replied by saying that he had not yet spoken to either of them and had planned to give them a call in the next few days.

WTF ?.

Club Rossa

Saw the Worthington interview and i too thought it strange that he hadn't contacted them.

bennydorano

NI fans being blamed for sending the bullets is a bit silly, quite right thst EG is miffed. 

I recall a story recently in the Irish News where a West Belfast teacher was in court for biting a fingertip off a bouncer, the IN kept referring to the man as a GAA coach like it was his defining  characteristic and I remember thinking WTF? Were was the relevance, what was the point and in the I.N of all papers. Misreprepresentation isnt nice.

gerry

Would you want his job with this to deal with

Parcel bombs sent to Neil Lennon, Paul McBride and MSP

Parcel bombs have been sent to Celtic manager Neil Lennon and two other high profile fans of the club.

Sources have told the BBC that the devices were "viable" and appeared to have been intended to "kill or maim".

Mr Lennon's lawyer, Paul McBride QC, and former deputy presiding officer of the Scottish Parliament, Trish Godman, were also targeted.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

tyssam5

Quote from: gerry on April 19, 2011, 10:51:17 PM
Would you want his job with this to deal with

Parcel bombs sent to Neil Lennon, Paul McBride and MSP

Parcel bombs have been sent to Celtic manager Neil Lennon and two other high profile fans of the club.

Sources have told the BBC that the devices were "viable" and appeared to have been intended to "kill or maim".

Mr Lennon's lawyer, Paul McBride QC, and former deputy presiding officer of the Scottish Parliament, Trish Godman, were also targeted.

No.

orangeman

They really love Lennon over there.

stew

I seriously doubt this was the work of owc fans to be honest, I could see it being some Rangers fan from the six that claims to be a fan but in fairness the northern fans, the real fans have been working hard to eradicate cowardly gobshites like the scum that sent this to lennon and co and there is more accountability than ever from supporters on the terraces at games.

Rangers are trying to clean up their act and to be fair they are making progress, albeit slow aand i commend them for their efforts but i will say this, for people to lump in celtic and rangers fans as being two sides of the same shitty coin are way off the mark, celtic have a legacy of inclusion and rangers.......................................... well they are trying and have a way to go.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Clown

Quote from: stew on April 20, 2011, 01:29:33 AM
I seriously doubt this was the work of owc fans to be honest, I could see it being some Rangers fan from the six that claims to be a fan but in fairness the northern fans, the real fans have been working hard to eradicate cowardly gobshites like the scum that sent this to lennon and co and there is more accountability than ever from supporters on the terraces at games.

Rangers are trying to clean up their act and to be fair they are making progress, albeit slow aand i commend them for their efforts but i will say this, for people to lump in celtic and rangers fans as being two sides of the same shitty coin are way off the mark, celtic have a legacy of inclusion and rangers.......................................... well they are trying and have a way to go.

I dont see much progress in this, did UEFA not send delegates to their last 2 european games, home and away legs, and in both they were charged for sectarian and racist singing?

agree with you on the unknowledgeable people who claim celtic and rangers are 2 sides of the same coin. Celtic cannot be guilty by association

clarshack

got the following off the kerrydale street forum....

Not knowingly signing Catholics, riots in Barcelona, Birmingham, Manchester, crowd disturbances in Pamplona, Bucharest, Stoning the bus in Villareal, sectarian songs across Europe and UEFA fines and possible bans, Nazi salutes in Israel, the murders of Kevin McDaid and Mark Scott, Beating up Neil Lennon, sending bullets to Nial McGinn, Paddy McCourt, the manager and sending bombs to Neil Lennon, a QC and an MSP The Famine Song, The Billy Boys and No Pope of Rome, hate filled songs about Catholics and the Irish. They are some kind of people but we are not the same as each other.

omagh_gael

Quote from: under the bar on April 20, 2011, 10:18:51 AM
If rangers and the rangers trust are committed to tackling sectarianism they should release a joint statement saying that who ever is sending bullets & bombs in no way represents the club and is nothing but a common criminal.  This would be a real stand against sectarianism but by saying nothing the danger is the wrong message gets sent out.

To be fair Under the bar Mc Coist did speak out about this yesterday, which is a step in the right direction.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13127427.stm

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: omagh_gael on April 20, 2011, 12:19:43 PM
Quote from: under the bar on April 20, 2011, 10:18:51 AM
If rangers and the rangers trust are committed to tackling sectarianism they should release a joint statement saying that who ever is sending bullets & bombs in no way represents the club and is nothing but a common criminal.  This would be a real stand against sectarianism but by saying nothing the danger is the wrong message gets sent out.

To be fair Under the bar Mc Coist did speak out about this yesterday, which is a step in the right direction.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13127427.stm

bolted, stable, closing, the, horse, door, after, the, has comes to mind!

The news about the parcel bombs has been known for a while and has been covered up, interestingly George Peat and wee Sally come out in the last couple of days with statements.

Tbc....

Main Street

McCoist mixes his sentiments between condemnation of the "small minority" and adopting a shoot the messenger approach/deny the the reports of sectarian chanting.

I see that BBC report erronously states that the official uefa delgate gave a favourable report to Rangers for both legs.
The uefa delegate gave a favourable report  in the home leg but
'FARE also provided evidence of further discriminatory behaviour to uefa from the fixture in Eindhoven on March 10. However, that report was backed up by references in the UEFA match delegate's report.'

Incidentally the uefa delegate for the home tie was from the wee North.
for the away leg the UEFA delegate was from Iceland.
Purely coincidental I suppose  ;D