Your County’s most famous / best loved personality (non-GAA)

Started by AustinPowers, February 21, 2024, 11:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: Snapchap on February 23, 2024, 12:37:25 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on February 23, 2024, 11:46:53 AM
Quote from: Snapchap on February 23, 2024, 10:47:48 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on February 23, 2024, 10:31:09 AMIt would seems the list of Bob Dylan's favourite songwriters could extend from here to the moon.

If I was to ask 10 random Irish people if they've heard of Paul Brady, honestly I doubt he'd register with more than 5.

I like his music too. But for whatever reason, he seems to have no ability to transcend generations.

I respectfully think you're talking through your hoop! Anyone who can sell out Vicar street for almost a  month solid, and who has has his songs covered by the sort of names listed above, can't serioulsy be argued to be not well known. Especially in hs own country.

You could say the same of  the  pop stars of today.  I just  had  a look at the charts  .  This lot could have sold out vicar Street for  6 months , but I've never heard  of any of them. Have you?

Lu.Ci
Kygo
Billie Gillies
YG Marley
Muni Long
Cat Janice
Noah Kahan
Yung Filly

Heard of just a couple of them but does that mean they aren't well known? Everyone has their audience. Take Noah Kahan, a one hit wonder if ever there was one, but he's a "tiktok star" who's currently selling out arenas around the world, so each generation to their own - and you're saying he's not well known just because you've never heard of him? I'd hazzard a guess that were he and Paul Brady to both walk down the street in Dublin, they would both be recognised, albeit to varying degree and by very different generations. And I'd say that were Kahan to walk down the street in his own hometown/country, he'd be recognised there too. So to say Paul Brady, one of Ireland most successsful singer/songwriters, wouldn't even be known of even in Ireland, is again, just daft.

I have heard of neither. Doesnt mean much in fairness though

lurganblue

Quote from: thewobbler on February 23, 2024, 10:31:09 AMIt would seems the list of Bob Dylan's favourite songwriters could extend from here to the moon.

If I was to ask 10 random Irish people if they've heard of Paul Brady, honestly I doubt he'd register with more than 5.

I like his music too. But for whatever reason, he seems to have no ability to transcend generations.

I respectfully think you're talking through your hoop! Anyone who can sell out Vicar street for almost a  month solid, and who has has his songs covered by the sort of names listed above, can't serioulsy be argued to be not well known. Especially in hs own country.

You could say the same of  the  pop stars of today.  I just  had  a look at the charts  .  This lot could have sold out vicar Street for  6 months , but I've never heard  of any of them. Have you?

Lu.Ci
Kygo
Billie Gillies
YG Marley
Muni Long
Cat Janice
Noah Kahan
Yung Filly

Never heard of these people either

rrhf

Quote from: AustinPowers on February 22, 2024, 12:00:24 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on February 22, 2024, 11:39:49 AMNeil Lennon
Rory Best

I believe big Ian Snr was born in Armagh but we cant/wont claim him.

Gloria Hunniford?
John Lynch?

No longer with  us , but Tommy Makem
Lynch is Castlederg through and through...

rrhf

Malachi Cush and Tyrone Tom were pioneers of the reality TV era in Tyrone and acquitted themselves and their county well.   

AustinPowers

Quote from: seafoid on February 23, 2024, 01:08:20 PM

Lu.Ci
Kygo
Billie Gillies
YG Marley
Muni Long
Cat Janice
Noah Kahan
Yung Filly
I thought that was a list of horses

They are. They are the  runners at 3.15 at Chepstow

AustinPowers

Quote from: rrhf on February 23, 2024, 02:02:04 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on February 22, 2024, 12:00:24 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on February 22, 2024, 11:39:49 AMNeil Lennon
Rory Best

I believe big Ian Snr was born in Armagh but we cant/wont claim him.

Gloria Hunniford?
John Lynch?

No longer with  us , but Tommy Makem
Lynch is Castlederg through and through...

Not THAT John Lynch.

The actor from  in the name of the father , sliding doors

lurganblue

Quote from: rrhf on February 23, 2024, 02:04:22 PMMalachi Cush and Tyrone Tom were pioneers of the reality TV era in Tyrone and acquitted themselves and their county well.   

Jim Eastwood?

AustinPowers

Quote from: Armagh18 on February 23, 2024, 12:54:57 PM

Lu.Ci
Kygo
Billie Gillies
YG Marley
Muni Long
Cat Janice
Noah Kahan
Yung Filly
Given his songs never off the radio these days you mustnt listen to much lol

Which radio  stations do you listen to?

Captain Obvious

Quote from: thewobbler on February 23, 2024, 11:12:18 AM

I honestly do believe you're overestimating his reach.

23 sold out nights in Vicar St is a wonderful accomplishment. But to put it in perspective, the cumulative audience figure accounts for about one quarter capacity of one night in Croke Park, and this happened 23 years ago.

Is he well known within Irish folks circles? Absolutely, he's an esteemed overlord at this point. Does he have a peculiar (and I mean in a good way) resonance with music lovers which means he has fans across the world? Absolutely.

But could he also spend the afternoon in a busy Kilbroney Forest park without anyone recognising him? Absolutely.

Reminds me of this picture.  On the left some random guy with his phone in his hand on the New York subway, on the right Roger Waters of Pink Floyd.

AustinPowers

Quote from: Armagh18 on February 23, 2024, 02:55:35 PMAny one that plays music lol

Used to like  2FM years ago , until the music and the DJ's  started to hurt my ears.  Any radio now would be  RTE 1 or BBC  2.  Never heard any of  the above on  there.

AustinPowers