Lorry Tragedy

Started by Square Ball, October 25, 2019, 03:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikhailov

Quote from: LeoMc on November 27, 2019, 10:23:11 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on November 25, 2019, 04:45:39 PM
Quote from: Square Ball on November 25, 2019, 04:40:36 PM
The defendant, of Laurel Drive in Craigavon in Northern Ireland, was not asked to enter pleas to other charges, including the 39 counts of manslaughter.

That is taken from and extract in the Guardian, so why would he not of been asked?

I'd imagine he'll have all these charges mysteriously vanish....providing the info keeps coming  :-X

Mo the grass?

I'll get my coat.

Very good Leo  :)

Ambrose

Lorry driver Maurice Robinson (25) from Craigavon in Co Armagh, has pleaded guilty at the Old Bailey in London to the manslaughter of 39 people who were found dead in a refrigerated truck in Essex.

Robinson is one of five men due to appear in court over the deaths of 39 Vietnamese people in October.

He had already pleaded guilty to conspiracy to assist unlawful immigration and acquiring criminal property at the same court on Monday November 25. His outstanding charges include transferring criminal property and conspiracy to commit a human trafficking offence.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

RedHand88

39 manslaughter verdicts, plus conspiracy to assist illegal immigration.

We talking 30 years+ here??

David McKeown

Quote from: RedHand88 on April 08, 2020, 04:35:30 PM
39 manslaughter verdicts, plus conspiracy to assist illegal immigration.

We talking 30 years+ here??

I'd have said about half of that maybe a little more.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Rossfan

If he's "co operated" etc will he get a load of concurrent sentences?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

J70

Was it the weight of the evidence, or genuine remorse on his part, that led to the guilty plea.

But yes, I would imagine he'll get a lesser sentence if he cooperated and pleaded guilty.

RedHand88

Appeared via video link. Didn't even get a day out!  :P

David McKeown

Quote from: Rossfan on April 08, 2020, 04:46:53 PM

Sentencing principles would suggest he should get concurrent sentences anyway.

pbat

Not so much talk from all these who had Free MO as there Facebook page after it happened.

macdanger2

Quote from: David McKeown on April 08, 2020, 05:29:09 PM

What's the idea behind concurrent sentencing? Say I murder 2 people and get caught for one, I go to jail for say 20 years and get out. The 2nd body is then discovered and I get charged and convicted again, sentenced to another 20.  But if I get done for 2 murders initially, I get 2 concurrent 20 year sentences.

David McKeown

Quote from: macdanger2 on April 09, 2020, 02:24:31 PM

What's the idea behind concurrent sentencing? Say I murder 2 people and get caught for one, I go to jail for say 20 years and get out. The 2nd body is then discovered and I get charged and convicted again, sentenced to another 20.  But if I get done for 2 murders initially, I get 2 concurrent 20 year sentences.

Well concurrent sentencing should really only be used for offences committed within the same incident or a series of similar incidents in a relatively short period.  The idea is that where more than one offence has been committed in the same incident then that will usually be an aggravating feature that would result in an increase in the sentence for each offence (when compared to what the defendant would have received had he only committed the one offence) however it wouldn't be fair to sentence someone to consecutive sentences for each offence.  For example if you commit assault a police officer and resist arrest instead of the two months you might have gotten had you only committed the resisting you'd instead get three months for it but it would be concurrent to the 5 months you got on the assault (which might have been 4 but for the resisting) if that makes sense rather than simply imposing consecutive 4 and 2 months sentences.

Never beat the deeler

I'd advise you to confess  ;)
Hasta la victoria siempre

quit yo jibbajabba

With a name like macdanger this was inevitable

macdanger2

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on April 10, 2020, 12:31:18 AM

I'd advise you to confess  ;)

To both or just one?   ;D

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM