Lorry Tragedy

Started by Square Ball, October 25, 2019, 03:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6th sam

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on January 22, 2021, 10:10:16 PM
Quote from: restorepride on January 22, 2021, 06:33:08 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on October 07, 2020, 11:02:49 PM
"An unbearable 38.5 degrees celsius", surely they are from Vietnam and that is a normal summers day for them. It was the lack of air that did them in.
What an insensitive and scientifically stupid comment - even smacks of racism.  Up to you, but you would be well advised to remove it.
Insensitive yes, racist no.
Agree , many people are exposed to 38.5 c , and survive. Starvation of oxygen is another thing. The morality of illegal immigration has many facets. What is inexcusable is making thousands  £££ , and being careless about safety. Ignorance , lack of knowledge and carelessness of the foot soldiers , resulted in a calamity, I doubt  it was wilful, and those involved,  no doubt are suffering with the thought that their careless greed led to the deaths of vulnerable people. Very sad all round

Capt Pat

"An unbearable 38.5 degrees celsius", surely they are from Vietnam and that is a normal summers day for them. It was the lack of air that did them in.
What an insensitive and scientifically stupid comment - even smacks of racism.  Up to you, but you would be well advised to remove it.

The racism in this case is from the British government who wouldn't let them in the country in the first place. Then try and sell the crime of helping them get in the country by talking about high temperatures. The crime here is that people like those that died in this tragedy are forced into the hands of wreckless not malicious criminals by first world governments. The lads involved in the trafficing got hefty sentences today for trying to help them while making large profits for themselves.

I mean there is work to be done in the black economy which is tolerated and that is where these poor unfortunates were headed. The Irish lads and their friend were just unlucky to mess up.

RedHand88

Quote from: Capt Pat on January 22, 2021, 11:18:37 PM

The racism in this case is from the British government who wouldn't let them in the country in the first place. Then try and sell the crime of helping them get in the country by talking about high temperatures. The crime here is that people like those that died in this tragedy are forced into the hands of wreckless not malicious criminals by first world governments. The lads involved in the trafficing got hefty sentences today for trying to help them while making large profits for themselves.

I mean there is work to be done in the black economy which is tolerated and that is where these poor unfortunates were headed. The Irish lads and their friend were just unlucky to mess up.

.....what??

quit yo jibbajabba

Capt Pat doubling down here. First post was stupid (and yes not racist), 2nd post even stupider 😉

Milltown Row2

I've no problem with locking these guys up in an air tight van and going for a cuppa tea for a few days....

Anyone who thinks they were doing good by letting them in the country needs to take a long look at themselves
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

square_ball

You have to be taking the piss with this comment? They Irish lads and their friend deserve everything they get.

Taylor

You on the liquor Cap Pat??

Yeah - they said I will help you as long as each of you pay me at least £13k.

general_lee

I think the captain is just taking the piss. There's no way anyone could honestly think like that. I reckon mo was singing like a canary to get off with the lightest sentence

David McKeown

Quote from: general_lee on January 23, 2021, 02:16:32 PM
I think the captain is just taking the piss. There's no way anyone could honestly think like that. I reckon mo was singing like a canary to get off with the lightest sentence

I don't think so. His sentence was more reflective of someone with a lesser role within the organisation who pleaded guilty at the earliest stage. I think had he been singing like a canary he would have had a far lighter sentence.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

trailer

Lorry drivers are a different breed.

marty34

Quote from: David McKeown on January 23, 2021, 02:21:33 PM

I don't think so. His sentence was more reflective of someone with a lesser role within the organisation who pleaded guilty at the earliest stage. I think had he been singing like a canary he would have had a far lighter sentence.

But had the police etc. not got all the info on phones and cctv etc.

It would have been easy enough to put it all together, would it not?

BennyCake

What sentences would they have got had those immigrants been found alive?

tonto1888

This cannot be a serious post

general_lee

Quote from: David McKeown on January 23, 2021, 02:21:33 PM

You reckon? Just I had heard it said locally that he liked to flash the cash, not being exactly discreet with his previous earnings. Is consideration taken into the fact that the victims had sadly all perished by the time he had collected the trailer?

David McKeown

All the circumstances will be taken into account but I doubt he would have received much credit for that.  I think he could have been well paid and therefore able to flash cash whilst still playing a relatively minor role in the entire operation.  In any sentencing exercise the court will decide what the defendant would have received had they contested the matter and then will allow discount for personal mitigation and early pleas etc.  A guilty plea at the earliest opportunity will attract up to 1/3 discount in normal circumstances.  The sentence in this case strikes me as a 20 year sentence with a 1/3 discount for early plea.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner