All Ireland Semi Final: The Dubs v Cavan, 1730 Saturday 5 December 2020

Started by Hound, November 24, 2020, 08:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

Yep, this Dublin team won it's first of 7 All Irelands in 9 years  back in 2011, so obviously this is now an aged Dublin team creaking at the seams and coming back to the pack.
Its not like they've replaced 13/15 of that team and are winning games by ever more comfortable margins
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

From the Bunker

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on December 05, 2020, 10:16:55 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on December 05, 2020, 10:00:59 PM
That's all very well Dublin7.

But another few years of every game being a procession and Dublin won't need Croke Park as a venue; anything other than AI final crowd will fit comfortably in Parnell Park.

It's around then that the media stop being bothered too. Then the sponsors shortly after.

Is the rest of Ireland really so pathetic that they would down their tools and stop attending football matches just because they can't take a beating off the Dubs?

Yes! Have not been to an Intercounty game since 2017!

Waste of time and Money!

My Kids 13, 11 and 8 Play gaelic, but have no interest in the inter-county game!

mup

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 05, 2020, 10:49:41 PM
Quote from: SouthDublinBro on December 05, 2020, 10:16:55 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on December 05, 2020, 10:00:59 PM
That's all very well Dublin7.

But another few years of every game being a procession and Dublin won't need Croke Park as a venue; anything other than AI final crowd will fit comfortably in Parnell Park.

It's around then that the media stop being bothered too. Then the sponsors shortly after.

Is the rest of Ireland really so pathetic that they would down their tools and stop attending football matches just because they can't take a beating off the Dubs?

Yes! Have not been to an Intercounty game since 2017!

Waste of time and Money!

My Kids 13, 11 and 8 Play gaelic, but have no interest in the inter-county game!

I'll see your 2017 and raise you 2013.

And I have a young lad playing intercounty that is leaving it all behind to play soccer next year. I'm sure people won't believe me but I'm not bothered about that.

sid waddell

Quote from: 6th sam on December 05, 2020, 10:43:03 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on December 05, 2020, 10:08:33 PM
Quote from: 6th sam on December 05, 2020, 10:05:17 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on December 05, 2020, 09:41:18 PM
Quote from: 6th sam on December 05, 2020, 09:35:03 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on December 05, 2020, 09:16:52 PM
There's 2 games to go this season, but people are saying Dublin are too good so they have to be stopped. Shame on Dublin for being brilliant. That's unfair on everyone else.

It's like the kid in school taking his ball home with him because he's not any good compared to everybody else.

The begrudgery is something else. Only in Ireland do people get abused for being brilliant at what they do. Its some stupid jealous trait that people in Ireland want to see successful people fail and get abused rather than acknowledge their success.

You are asking for others to show insight...please look in the mirror. This is nothing to do with begrudge ry or Anti-Dublin. We are just highlighting dreadful inequality.
The Munster Football Championship has survived for 130 years with dreadful inequality, far worse inequality than exists in the current All-Ireland football championship

There have never been calls for Kerry to be split up, say, to field divisional teams

It's difficult to think that the calls to split Dublin are not motivated by anti-Dublinness because the reaction to Dublin's success is entirely different to the success of any team in the history of the GAA

Agree totally re Munster. You could go back to previous posts I made in 2009 about this , but presumably you actually have a life and won't bother 😂. The provincial titles have their place but they lose credibility if they confer an advantage in the All ireland stage. Kerry and cork benefitted from this for years, as they only had to get serious in July , as even a Munster final defeat meant continued involvement in AI. This is accentuated by the "success breeds success" phenomenon, whereby players from Dublin and Kerry can realistically expect to play regularly in Croke Park. Antrim however , with relatively good population resources have a much more difficult path to Croker.
In the same way that the Irish Labour Party is sometimes referred to as the biggest political case study of failure in Europe, Antrim is the biggest case study of failure in history of the GAA

You're right there are similarities. There are longstanding advantages enjoyed by FFG as a result if their origins in AI war and civil war. Labour were not able to fight this right wing axis for 2 reasons : 1. Many FF supporters who would be centre left, felt a responsibility to stick with their civil war family loyalties. 2. Labour in Ireland did not enjoy the same unions attachment and support of benefactors, as their counterparts in the UK. 3. The media and business promoted the FFG axis
Labour and other parties, could have challenged the status quo but didn't ever manage this successfully, therefore the status quo perpetuates to the advantage of FFG.

Antrim GAA were disadvantaged by being a minority sport in a sectarian state, and still as Ireland's second largest city Antrim's subsidies from GAA are dwarfed by Dublin. The AI fixture inequality keeps them away from the glamour if the AI series and the national media ignore their plight and favour Dublin. Their home venue is not an 82000 masterpiece, it's a silage field , for several reasons.
Much like the Irish Labour Party , Antrim has problems, but most of them aren't if their own making.
Let's do our talking on a Level playing field.
Well it seems to me that Antrim has never made a real effort to get its house in order

West Belfast has the biggest concentration of GAA clubs anywhere on the island, there are 615k people in the county and of that somewhere between 200 and 250k are Catholics

To be as bad as they are at Gaelic football is pretty shocking

Kerry hasn't staged an All-Ireland semi-final since the 1930s or 1940s, it hasn't stopped them winning 37 All-Irelands

If you want a level playing field, then the inter-county system thus has to end

Like, Tyrone v Fermanagh is not a level playing field, Galway v Leitrim is not a level playing field

A level playing field means a level playing field - if it means splitting Dublin, it also means amalgamated franchises and the end of county teams

Hello the Down/Armagh/Louth/Monaghan franchise - AKA The Tex-Mex Titans or the Border Bandits, or the Sinn Fein Country All-Stars

Milltown Row2

This is getting embarrassing now.

Dublin stuffed a team that's nowhere near their level.

If Mayo take their eye off their game tomorrow they'll lose.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

dublin7

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 05, 2020, 10:57:45 PM

That's what senior inter county is all about at the moment.

Dublin are too good so they have to be handicapped or hindered. The fact everyone else isn't good enough is Dublin's fault as well. Being brilliant is a crime in the GAA apparently. Strange how Kilkenny hurlers never had to put up with this sort of ignorant bulls**t

sid waddell

Quote from: JoG2 on December 05, 2020, 10:47:40 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on December 05, 2020, 10:33:19 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on December 05, 2020, 10:19:01 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on December 05, 2020, 10:04:53 PM
From the bit I saw of the post-match coverage, it came across as if Cavanagh sort of bit his lip when he wanted to let O'Rourke have it

It seems clear to me that Cavanagh, as part of the great Tyrone team of the 2000s, would have loved nothing more than to come up against this Dublin team, to challenge himself and his team - the ultimate challenge, to beat this Dublin team

And you could tell that he genuinely believed that Tyrone team could have done it - I would agree - they could have, they had the talent, the belief and the drive - a much inferior Tyrone team in terms of talent were only beaten by 6 in the 2018 final

But it's not politically correct to utter such an opinion

Discussion within the GAA about the county system has been so distorted and stifled by whinging that anybody not uttering the politically correct opinion now gets shouted down

Brexit thinking

Disagree. Talent, belief and drive, absolutely. The Dublin team have this, but their conditioning is phenomenal. Everyone of them has the strength and power to continuously ride and break through tackles from 1/2/3 players from the opposition team and create 2 on 1s, 3 on 2s etc. They all do it, doesn't give them a 2nd thought to invite a tackle knowing a turn over is as rare as hen's teeth. Is it possible for other counties to reach these conditioning levels? Very much doubt it
Of course it is - there is nothing in the genetic make up of these Dublin players that makes them superior in fitness terms to anybody else

Had that Tyrone been around now they undoubtedly would have reached the level needed, and you can expect full well that Kerry and probably Mayo both, hopefully Donegal, will over the coming years

The same thing was said about the Kerry team of the 1970s and 1980s, would they have been able to reach the conditioning levels of the 2000s teams had they been around in the 2000s

Again, the answer is yes, of course they would have, you can only work within the norms of the time

It's a no though. Every advantage under the sun. Their conditioning though, and it's the last time I mention it is far superior to any other counties.
Look, if this was a golden generation the Dubs would be wanting to milk every last victory, whether in Leinster or the AI series. But it's not. How many started tonight that started in 2011? Cluxton, McCarthy? Any others? Dublin supporters are willing and hoping beyond hope that somehow a team comes along that puts it up to them on a regular bases, even wins a game. I honestly can't see it happening anytime soon. Time hop back all you want and bring club winners into, but the craic has been sucked out of the race for Sam
What "craic" was in the race for Sam between 1975 and 1986, or, extend it further, 1969 and 1990 inclusive?

In those years, Ulster and Connacht teams were a joke, they were cannon fodder - in those years, Kerry, Dublin, and to a much lesser extent Meath, Offaly and Cork were the only real contenders

Why didn't they pack in the Ulster Championship in those years? Sure the winners were at nothing

Until Down came along in '91, and it suddenly turned out they weren't at nothing, they were at everything

mup

Quote from: dublin7 on December 05, 2020, 11:04:46 PM

Dublin are too good so they have to be handicapped or hindered. The fact everyone else isn't good enough is Dublin's fault as well. Being brilliant is a crime in the GAA apparently. Strange how Kilkenny hurlers never had to put up with this sort of ignorant bulls**t

Because Kilkenny did not have millions of Gaa money pumped in to them.

Seriously why do you need this explained to you? I mean is it not obvious?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: mup on December 05, 2020, 11:21:31 PM

There was a chart up before on this page I think. Dublin wasn't at the top of the spending.

Would it be better if Dublin entered the Ulster championship?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Silkyskillssunshinee

This was a Twitter comment I came across, had a good chuckle to myself. Dublin volunteers are on another level entirely.

"They are fit and making scarifies unlike other counties who are moaning. It's not rocket science! Start by getting up and out of bed at 6am and get training every morning before work."

dublin7

Not really no. Tell me how funding schoolboy/schoolgirls playing football/hurling in schools makes this Dublin so brilliant?

Haters gonna hate. This Dublin team are a credit to their family and the county. That they have bitter, ignorant fools critising them for being brilliant is on them and not the dubs fault

Instead of being bitter, jealous and insulting of dublin other
teams/counties should look at what the dubs are doing and implement it in their county

chrissears

Dublin won that game tonight without breaking sweat, it was like a training match, it was supposed to be a an AI semi-final.
The way the current structure is they could conceivably win the next 5 AI's.
If you think all is well in GAA football, you are living in the land of the fairies.
The next time someone bangs on about the amateur ethos I will vomit, Dublin are amateur in name only, they are professional in every single department.
I thought the GAA was built on the village team or the town team, Dublin are a long, long, way from that.

mup

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 05, 2020, 11:23:51 PM

There was a chart up before on this page I think. Dublin wasn't at the top of the spending.

Would it be better if Dublin entered the Ulster championship?

Who mentioned spending. I'm on about funding.

I'm not sure what your point is here about Ulster. Kilkenny are not in Ulster. And dont enter the senior football championship.

mup

Quote from: dublin7 on December 05, 2020, 11:28:17 PM

Not really no. Tell me how funding schoolboy/schoolgirls playing football/hurling in schools makes this Dublin so brilliant?

Haters gonna hate. This Dublin team are a credit to their family and the county. That they have bitter, ignorant fools critising them for being brilliant is on them and not the dubs fault

teams/counties should look at what the dubs are doing and implement it in their county

Show me where I criticised Dublin? Or is it just the paranoid gobshites on here who think everyone is blaming Dublin?

I'm afraid I can't help you if you are not capable of grasping the fact that the funding Dublin have received is way and above what every other county have received per player. I'll leave that yo the professionals.

sid waddell

Quote from: dublin7 on December 05, 2020, 11:28:17 PM

The GAA is supposed to be about participation

But not when it comes to Dublin

Participation in Dublin is bad for the GAA, apparently