Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportacus

Well done everyone.  Would be great to see a promotion push, and would that mean a day in Croke Park?  I hope the games are played in Glenavy.  Great wee spot and friendly stewards.

Rodger Mona

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 07, 2020, 01:57:19 PM
Quote from: Rodger Mona on February 07, 2020, 09:22:15 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 06, 2020, 06:04:55 PM
Quote from: Rodger Mona on February 06, 2020, 03:13:58 PM
Yeah i heard that was true. Shows you how bad Antrim Championship was at a time when you guys were trying to peak for December.

Id say St.Galls may have started training after the last county final aswell ..... only this time in preperation for 2020 chsip.

;)

I'd say if Cargin used same tactic they might beat the Fermanagh champs, get past the first round  ;D

I would say YOU are right. Either that or they just havent the stones to win in ulster.

Or maybe it was the replay followed by the 20 additional minutes given injury time the week before at Corrigan. Apparently McCavanna was for throwing the leg over the fence as he done at the Dub to call an end to the game.

Happy for the extra minutes in The first game?

As a spectator. No i nearly had a heart attack but got my moneys worth. Dont think anyone can argue with extra time or injury time, but 8minutes on top of what was added was mad. The ref wasnt even being subtle about what he was trying to do. God Bless him all the same, wouldnt want to be in the middle of trying to officiate that  with the amount of off the ball incidents and coaches encroaching the pitch every 2 minutes. you would need really good umpires/ Linesmen

Belfast GAA man

3 games in BS Who have been the best 3 or 4 players?

Rodger Mona

More importantly.... how did young loughran do BS? Did he live up to the hype? Also what was story with D.McAleese playing 3? Read he kicked 3 points? Have we another Brendan Rogers in our hands? Slaughtneil not Leicester

bannside

Harder question to answer than I thought! Against Wexford nearly everyone did their job well, but likewise against Sligo nearly everyone was average enough, no one stood out. I didn't make it to Ruislip but I was told it was nearly impossible to play good football, mostly real backs to the wall stuff. If you put me in a corner I'd say Paddy Gallagher and Big Ricky, with honourable mention to Paddy Cunningham for his vital scores from frees.

Dermot Mc Aleese chipped in with three important scores on Sunday and is a big addition to the starting 15, likewise Tomas is not far away and the icing on the cake for me in the forward line would be Adam Loughran. Those three should bring a lot more energy punch and scoring threat to our forward division. It's all in our own hands but I still believe we will be in Division 3 next year but we need to win our next two at home for that to happen.

RM, I don't expect to see Dermot at full back, just a jersey number and young Adam didn't see game time as it wasn't the type of game to suit him. His day will come.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rodger Mona on February 11, 2020, 09:33:14 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 07, 2020, 01:57:19 PM
Quote from: Rodger Mona on February 07, 2020, 09:22:15 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 06, 2020, 06:04:55 PM
Quote from: Rodger Mona on February 06, 2020, 03:13:58 PM
Yeah i heard that was true. Shows you how bad Antrim Championship was at a time when you guys were trying to peak for December.

Id say St.Galls may have started training after the last county final aswell ..... only this time in preperation for 2020 chsip.

;)

I'd say if Cargin used same tactic they might beat the Fermanagh champs, get past the first round  ;D

I would say YOU are right. Either that or they just havent the stones to win in ulster.

Or maybe it was the replay followed by the 20 additional minutes given injury time the week before at Corrigan. Apparently McCavanna was for throwing the leg over the fence as he done at the Dub to call an end to the game.

Happy for the extra minutes in The first game?

As a spectator. No i nearly had a heart attack but got my moneys worth. Dont think anyone can argue with extra time or injury time, but 8minutes on top of what was added was mad. The ref wasnt even being subtle about what he was trying to do. God Bless him all the same, wouldnt want to be in the middle of trying to officiate that  with the amount of off the ball incidents and coaches encroaching the pitch every 2 minutes. you would need really good umpires/ Linesmen
Was less than 8 I think and the players seemed to be well of the clock on the refs arm, the only one that matters I suppose, but hey whatever suits your opinion  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

I thought you meant Tomas there and was wondering where you'd been then realised it was Michael. Happy days. I didn't see that coming.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/northern-ireland/51478119

Caesar

Undoubtedly still talented enough, just hope the attitude is right

paddyjohn

Quote from: Caesar on February 12, 2020, 03:30:21 PM

Why wouldn't it be?

Dunsilly King

Quote from: paddyjohn on February 12, 2020, 06:46:29 PM
Quote from: Caesar on February 12, 2020, 03:30:21 PM

Why wouldn't it be?

My thoughts to, why wouldn't it be. One of the best we have produced, a leader for both county and club.

BigBallWeeBall

What about any of the St Galls old guard.
Surely some would be beneficial to younger lads

Gold

Fantastic news.

Hope they all stay on next year if we get promoted

Fantastic!
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Rodger Mona

Squad now with 3 former stalwarts of Antrim and a guy who couldnt make the meath panel.

Great to see and Michael McCann would walk on to any county panel, but im a bit disillusioned regarding Lenny's original pitch when he was appointed which was about bringing through fresh blood and improving the young players our county have. To date i cant see anyone who Lenny has really improved or playing at a higher level than they were before or what was expected of them. Hence the move to turn to the old guard to improve his squad and squeeze out a bit of success so he may have some sort of legacy with Antrim as manager.

Not a personal attack on him as iv alot of respect of what he has achieved previously though regarding the current crop i havnt seen an awful lot of change. Though maybe playing with cooler more experienced heads may get more out of the younger men

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rodger Mona on February 13, 2020, 08:17:27 AM
Squad now with 3 former stalwarts of Antrim and a guy who couldnt make the meath panel.

Great to see and Michael McCann would walk on to any county panel, but im a bit disillusioned regarding Lenny's original pitch when he was appointed which was about bringing through fresh blood and improving the young players our county have. To date i cant see anyone who Lenny has really improved or playing at a higher level than they were before or what was expected of them. Hence the move to turn to the old guard to improve his squad and squeeze out a bit of success so he may have some sort of legacy with Antrim as manager.

Not a personal attack on him as iv alot of respect of what he has achieved previously though regarding the current crop i havnt seen an awful lot of change. Though maybe playing with cooler more experienced heads may get more out of the younger men

Not a personal attack, your full of shit lad.. Id be disappointed in a manager that just stuck to the norm and didn't develop, but hey go and lambast someone for actually making an attempt to get promotion..

As for not developing younger lads or players that haven't been on a panel before, there are plenty of young new county players over the last few years, have they developed to the point that you think they should, maybe not, but we are a div 4 team and have been for many years, getting into div 3 the odd time but we are a yoyo team and even with all the best players we had, back in the day, we were not pulling up tress, bar the Ulster final, we've failed before it and after that glorious day in Clones sadly
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rodger Mona

Jesus MR2 scrutinising management isnt something that you should be taking so personal. It wasnt a personal attack, i think what iv outlined is something which the antrim board will obviously be thinking when they review the teams performance. I dare not say anything regarding refs or management if i think there is patches in their performance which could be scrutinised. Obviously i think he is doing right, bringin back paddy and the two cargin lads (as u seen i had mentioned it in previous posts), they will definitely bring us closer to a shot at promotion, but why sell the pitch that the job he took on was focused on bringing through youth and building antrim for the future regardless of results? I dont think Paddy, Mick or Tomas are there just for the ride or to sit on the bench. So obviously going back to the old guard will be at the expense of some of the other lads who are new to the panel or are young still.

My analyses is just that, like in this forum, its alright being optimistic but at some point you realise that youth requires experienced players/ leaders on the field to bring them on. Lennys first couple of years seriously lacked that. Now he has went back on his original stance and brought in men who he may of asked but hadnt really chased (as he has done this time from November) all for the greater good of the county promotion chase. Though to some of the younger lads on the panels expense.