Mickey Harte getting first choice for McKenna Cup team

Started by Orior, January 05, 2012, 10:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is Mickey right to pick his team members before the colleges?

Yes
17 (34%)
No
31 (62%)
Undecided
2 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 50

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: BennyHarp on January 15, 2012, 08:41:45 AM
Yeah,your right TAM, I'm swayed by your argument now. It's much more important that Mickey Harte ensures that universities are mildly competitive in a nothing competition than his Tyrone team get fully prepared for a meaningless division 2 league game in front of a potential 50,000 crowd in 3 weeks. You'd make a good manager one day.

This has nothing to do with good management, its about good administration. I can understand why Mickey Harte wants the regulations on availability to suit his side but the Ulster Council, for the good of the competition, should have stood up to him and refused to change the rules. A fairly simple concept.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

stronghold

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on January 15, 2012, 01:04:12 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on January 15, 2012, 08:41:45 AM
Yeah,your right TAM, I'm swayed by your argument now. It's much more important that Mickey Harte ensures that universities are mildly competitive in a nothing competition than his Tyrone team get fully prepared for a meaningless division 2 league game in front of a potential 50,000 crowd in 3 weeks. You'd make a good manager one day.

This has nothing to do with good management, its about good administration. I can understand why Mickey Harte wants the regulations on availability to suit his side but the Ulster Council, for the good of the competition, should have stood up to him and refused to change the rules. A fairly simple concept.
The rules of the competition where not changed. MH had all the third level students sign a declaration that they did not what to play for their college and wished to play for Tyrone.  This was produced at the Ulster Council meeting, on this basis the Ulster Council could not act. That is why there is a meeting in Feb of all concerned in order to resolve the issue

AFS

On today's showing, it's difficult to see a future in the McKenna Cup for St. Mary's if they continue to be asked to field without their full complement. For the sake of the competition in its current format, the Ulster Council will have to force Harte and other managers to release their players to the universities.