Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Ah sure we can win everything, it's good to see other teams compete. We might even end up at Junior level..

I'd say Cargin ourselves won't be competing at the top table for a while
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

The gooch

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 24, 2018, 07:47:09 PM
Ah sure we can win everything, it's good to see other teams compete. We might even end up at Junior level..

I'd say Cargin ourselves won't be competing at the top table for a while

I think your right you know. Best years behind for sure....*wins next 10 antrim chsips between them*

Belfast GAA man

Talked to a few u21 managers from city and country and they r puzzled about Saturday afternoon matches on instead of Sunday. A lots of lads missing with Saturday jobs in run up to Christmas. For the knock out phase Sundays please

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on November 24, 2018, 08:39:21 PM
Talked to a few u21 managers from city and country and they r puzzled about Saturday afternoon matches on instead of Sunday. A lots of lads missing with Saturday jobs in run up to Christmas. For the knock out phase Sundays please

As many lads have the same jobs on a Sunday leading up to Xmas surely!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hectic

Quote from: Footblock on November 24, 2018, 07:12:47 PM
This farce from the CCC gets worse. As of today's game between LD and ODR, Naomh Eanna finished 2nd in the section on score difference even though we only played 1 game and yet we havent been awarded a place in the 'A' competition. To my astonishment I have just discovered that CCC are now making LD and ODR play again on Tuesday night at Jordanstown to see who goes forward to the A competition.
Honestly talk about winging it and making it up as you go along. Have the CCC no shame? They should be seriously embarrassed. We may not win the A championship as there are a number of good teams like Gall's, Dunloy, Creggan, Portglenone et al but we would like to be afforded the opportunity. So much for supporting Antrim's representatives in Ulster.
As for entering the B championship Farset can make all the snide comments he wants but without having spoken to our players I would say that they would have no inclination to enter any such competition not out of snobbery but out of respect for legitimate B clubs who would aspire to win this. By relegating us to the B competition the CCC have show massive disrespect to the sides in the B competition.

Agree with these sentiments.

Though would still enter the B. Even to make a point. Barrier would be other B teams but then it could be paying them more respect proving you can win B than operating on the assumption you will.

Hectic

Quote from: The gooch on November 24, 2018, 07:14:30 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 24, 2018, 07:04:27 PM
The top teams don't look to be coming from any of the top senior teams at all though.Not fair at all.

The best you could do is from 3 years previous in the minor.

Creggan won the senior league and the team that beats them in the u21s will be the winner. Aghagallon, st galls, st brigids will be the 1s to compete with them, all div 1.

Look at the 6 previous years winners. Rossa-div 1. Aghagallon-div1. St johns x 3-div1. Pg1-div 1 or on the cusp of being promoted.

No disrespect to antirm town and st pauls, theyl not be winning it.

Only fair that geniune contenders ie creggan,galls are seeded. But again lads, just my opinion

Pretty sure Aghagallon played Div 2 when they won it. 2016? Could be wrong.

And beaten finalists the year before as a div 3 team. Again could be wrong.

Belfast GAA man

U r such a yes man ! We live in a country where shops are not allowed to open until 1 on Sundays. 11 s 1130 starts would work

BigBallWeeBall

Surely Saturday soccer is more of a negative force

Milltown Row2

How many kids play soccer? I've no time for soccer lads tbh, if you love your club and GAA it's a simple choice.

If a club mate chooses soccer over a club match in my team he wouldn't be playing for me. Kids work all week during Xmas, I'll be doing a game on Tuesday night, shops are opened and some lads might be away at college..

The gooch

Quote from: Hectic on November 24, 2018, 09:43:34 PM
Quote from: The gooch on November 24, 2018, 07:14:30 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 24, 2018, 07:04:27 PM
The top teams don't look to be coming from any of the top senior teams at all though.Not fair at all.

The best you could do is from 3 years previous in the minor.

Creggan won the senior league and the team that beats them in the u21s will be the winner. Aghagallon, st galls, st brigids will be the 1s to compete with them, all div 1.

Look at the 6 previous years winners. Rossa-div 1. Aghagallon-div1. St johns x 3-div1. Pg1-div 1 or on the cusp of being promoted.

No disrespect to antirm town and st pauls, theyl not be winning it.

Only fair that geniune contenders ie creggan,galls are seeded. But again lads, just my opinion

Pretty sure Aghagallon played Div 2 when they won it. 2016? Could be wrong.

And beaten finalists the year before as a div 3 team. Again could be wrong.

Think they won the league and intermediate when they won it.

Look my point was that this years format is a farce. Laughable that rossa and ld play again in 3 days time.

Back to the old format with some sort of seeding to allow for an ultra competitive cship with the best playing the best. Seeding also helps the lesser teams as they will also have a genuine chance of silverware. No point the loser of creggan v dunloy (hypothetical) going into the b comp as they will walk it

The gooch

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 24, 2018, 10:18:12 PM
How many kids play soccer? I've no time for soccer lads tbh, if you love your club and GAA it's a simple choice.

If a club mate chooses soccer over a club match in my team he wouldn't be playing for me. Kids work all week during Xmas, I'll be doing a game on Tuesday night, shops are opened and some lads might be away at college..

Interested to hear your thoughts on players from other clubs who dont enter a team at u21 playing for a different club? Rossa seem to have a couple every year

Milltown Row2

Quote from: The gooch on November 24, 2018, 10:24:17 PM

Interested to hear your thoughts on players from other clubs who dont enter a team at u21 playing for a different club? Rossa seem to have a couple every year

Do all clubs have an under21 team?  Should  players not play at all or if there is a sanction you can play for a club for a season? We didn't field one year at under 21 hurling. We didn't have the ability to move to another club, I wish we did but I lost out, along with others. you can now and people do it..

The gooch

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 24, 2018, 10:53:48 PM

Do all clubs have an under21 team?  Should  players not play at all or if there is a sanction you can play for a club for a season? We didn't field one year at under 21 hurling. We didn't have the ability to move to another club, I wish we did but I lost out, along with others. you can now and people do it..

Dont blame any player for doing so under those circumstances.
Personally would never do it myself. Surely would have a negative effect to some degree. How would the lsds sitting on the bench feel, playinh for a club all their life then all of a sudden their place gets taken by a lad who is gonna play 4/5 games. Dont agree with it myself.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: The gooch on November 25, 2018, 12:33:10 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 24, 2018, 10:53:48 PM

Dont blame any player for doing so under those circumstances.
Personally would never do it myself. Surely would have a negative effect to some degree. How would the lsds sitting on the bench feel, playinh for a club all their life then all of a sudden their place gets taken by a lad who is gonna play 4/5 games. Dont agree with it myself.

Players have to play themselves onto a team, whether they have been there all their short lived or came from another club.. managers will never ask for a sanction unless their team is struggling I believe, or should be the case..

country bumpkin

The 'sanction' is a relatively new development and one which has never been utilised at Cargin or at any, or very few from South West
Surely an amalgamation of several clubs at under-21 level to include a couple from the first division ensures a big advantage.
Are we to anticipate a time in the future when Cargin, Creggan, and Moneyglass for example will ditch individual identities and pride within and get together for an attempt at short term gain..?