All Ireland U21 football championship 2017

Started by Captain Obvious, February 21, 2017, 12:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Jinxy on February 22, 2017, 09:00:30 PM
We lost to Westmeath ffs.  ::)
First shock result, Dublin next for Westmeath. Wexford won pulling up against Carlow. Wicklow v Louth was called off with unplayable pitch.

LilySavage

Royals not great in  a tight finish this past ten year.

twohands!!!

Time for Westmeath and East Westmeath to be unsplit ?

Jinxy

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Meath beaten by the runners-up for that bit of tin I mentioned..

on the sideline

Monaghan have lost Barry McGinn for the rest of the year after he did his cruciate against Derry in the Shamrock Cup on Sunday.  That was his third game in three days!!!  He was on the UCD team that played in the Sigerson on Friday and Saturday before lining out for his county on the Sunday.  That is utter madness.  Poor fella.  He was man of the match against Tyrone in the Ulster Final last year.

Did Monaghan really need to play him in a  Shamrock Cup game after he'd already played  games on the two days previous to it? Surely they already knew what he could do from last year.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: on the sideline on February 23, 2017, 12:42:07 AM
Monaghan have lost Barry McGinn for the rest of the year after he did his cruciate against Derry in the Shamrock Cup on Sunday.  That was his third game in three days!!!  He was on the UCD team that played in the Sigerson on Friday and Saturday before lining out for his county on the Sunday.  That is utter madness.  Poor fella.  He was man of the match against Tyrone in the Ulster Final last year.

Did Monaghan really need to play him in a  Shamrock Cup game after he'd already played  games on the two days previous to it? Surely they already knew what he could do from last year.
No Monaghan really should have known better to not have McGinn playing again on Sunday in a pre-season game however as i said before Sigerson/college football is more responsible for burn out and serious injuries than the U21 championship ever was.

thewobbler

This disregard for player wellbeing is beyond fucked up.

I don't have a clue who is in charge of Monaghan u21s, but I sincerely hope their season ends quickly they never get another job in football.

Part of me wants "state intervention" to stop this shit happening. But really, all it needs is common sense. The thought of 3 hard training sessions in a row would give managers palpitations, but after back-to-back championship games, sure let's play another. Madness. 

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: twohands!!! on February 22, 2017, 09:55:19 PM

It's just Eastmeath. And God no. We have over a hundred years of beating them into the ground to catch up on.

Not a night for football by all accounts last night. Wasn't a whole lot expected off these lads but one thing you're guaranteed with Keane and Wilson over them is pride and passion. They kept going right to the end last night and got their just rewards.

Home game against the Dubs next Wednesday, similar conditions might give us a fighting chance against the pros.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

The Subbie

Quote from: thewobbler on February 23, 2017, 09:31:02 AM

I don't have a clue who is in charge of Monaghan u21s, but I sincerely hope their season ends quickly they never get another job in football.

Part of me wants "state intervention" to stop this shit happening. But really, all it needs is common sense. The thought of 3 hard training sessions in a row would give managers palpitations, but after back-to-back championship games, sure let's play another. Madness. 

Quote from: thewobbler on February 23, 2017, 09:31:02 AM

Correct, beyond senseless, Dinky McBride is the Monaghan U21 manager, from what I read McGinn was brought on as a sub in a game the Monaghan team won pulling up.

shark

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on February 23, 2017, 09:46:07 AM
Quote from: twohands!!! on February 22, 2017, 09:55:19 PM

It's just Eastmeath. And God no. We have over a hundred years of beating them into the ground to catch up on.

Not a night for football by all accounts last night. Wasn't a whole lot expected off these lads but one thing you're guaranteed with Keane and Wilson over them is pride and passion. They kept going right to the end last night and got their just rewards.

Home game against the Dubs next Wednesday, similar conditions might give us a fighting chance against the pros.

Very little expected for sure. It's hard to imagine any of last night's team playing senior championship this year. Yet they beat a Meath team that had quite a bit expected of them. Another wet day will suit for sure, there is a good level of physicality throughout Westmeath team. Although one of the big men, Finbarr Coyne, got a straight red last night. 

Jinxy

Quote from: Syferus on February 23, 2017, 12:31:36 AM
Meath beaten by the runners-up for that bit of tin I mentioned..

Meath actually won the only real bit of tin in that competition, Syf.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: on the sideline on February 23, 2017, 12:42:07 AM

Its hard to believe how at a manager at that level could be so idiotic.