2019 USFC SF Dún na nGall vs Tír Eoghain, Breffni, Saturday 8th June @5pm

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, May 26, 2019, 09:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

The precedent was set with Philly McMahon and I'd expect that McCann will get the same punishment as he did (I don't remember what it was but it probably cost him POTY that season with all of the bad publicity). It was a nasty incident alright but at least it will give the media something in order to justify their analysis fees for the next few days as well as being manna from heaven for the moral outrage police. It will also serve to deflect from what was a horrible Tyrone performance.

giveherlong

Quote from: rrhf on June 09, 2019, 10:30:51 AM
Tyrone were awful yesterday and fair play to Donegal. I felt donegal were streetwise as hell and tyrone entered that game either with a dressing room problem or something else..late changes discipline etc had all the hallmarks of a non focussed camp...When reactions to the cynical Donegal performance go to these places,,, and a Potentially sickening subsequent off the ball incident that may have left Mc Cann badly injured..then it is time to take a step back and evaluate where we are going.. Not worth that and something you would not want to see in our games from Both teams....It's indefensible and I haven't seen the incident yet where it's suggested his Achilles could have been targetted in an off the ball incident then he's already suffering and his career could be over...

Who was the Donegal player that done Mccann off the ball to send him off injured?
TV showed it briefly from camera behind opposite goals but wasn't clear what happened

marty34

Quote from: Angelo on June 09, 2019, 11:29:52 AM
Quote from: marty34 on June 09, 2019, 11:26:13 AM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 09, 2019, 08:36:02 AM
Quote from: moysider on June 09, 2019, 01:24:17 AM
Quote from: Look-Up! on June 09, 2019, 12:24:09 AM
Quote from: dublin7 on June 08, 2019, 11:36:08 PM
Watching the game on tv you would hope that will be Tiernan McCann's last game this summer. To stamp on someone like he did is s**t housery of the highest order. Delighted to see him go off injured. Karma is a bitch!!

All the years that Tyrone played with 13/14 men behind the ball means their defenders have no experience in man on man defending. Tyrone were all over the place defensively. Donegal the better team and well worth the win

Very nasty incident and no excuse. I'm sure he's ashamed of himself afterwards and the media attention that it will get will not be nice for him or his family to deal with but there is no place on a football field for that type of act. Harte has stood by him in the past for a different type of high profile incident but he really let his manager and teammates down today. I think for his own good and for the good of his team Harte should drop him from the panel for this year. He's an important player to them but discipline in a team is very important and a precedent and example should be shown to the panel. I'm sure he's a good lad but some standards need to be set within a panel and there's some lines when crossed cannot be excused with a "rush of blood to the head". And regardless of the white heat of battle there must be some modicum of respect to opposition players. Thankfully no real damage done to Donegal lad but these type of incidents getting too common.
I don't get his importance? I understand why a team would want to have Diarmuid Connolly and the bit of madness that goes with him. McCann ???? Not worth the trouble. 

His worth has been reduced by the change to man marking. He came to prominence with the ultra blanket defence where he was protected by the swarm and had the speed to break on the counter. This was aided by the opposition backing off into a defensive formation.

His exposure began with Dublin games when man marking was important and he had to rely on his own ability and skill with little or no cover. Yesterday, he was exposed again, just watch the lead up to the incident and see his level of frustration unable to handle speed and evasion of the Donegal player. Then when the swarm put the man down, savage instincts took over.

You have to wonder what type of sportsman engages in the repugnant behaviour that all observed when the victim had done nothing other than embarrass his opponent's lack of skill, speed and agility. No level of frustration could begin to justify the actions.

What will be the manager's reaction and how public will it be?

Will the GAA virtually condone this behaviour with the application of a single match ban when it was nothing less than common assault?

A test for manager and authorities that neither can afford to fail.

Sad to see football stooping so low.

I find it ironic that Mickey Harte, who does sterling work in schools etc.   in regards to moral issues, has always 'allowed' Tyrone players to do things like Mc Cann's carry on yesterday - it goes back further with loads of examples.  Yet, he does nothing about them for all the moral preaching elsewhere.

You think he'd say to his players, like he does in schools and youth organisations, where he talks excellently about good values, to cut out these serious nasty elements of Tyrone's games. 

Every player in a team can see the red mist at different times but this incident was beyond crazy.  Mc Cann will obviously take serious stick for this and rightly so, but he has form re 'hairgate' but Mickey needs to say to hid panel, cut out the bad press for their panel.

How bad was it in your opinion?

Worse than the Smith eye gouge on Higgins?
Worse than the Carlow player that struck the Meath player 3 or 4 times a couple of weeks back?
Worse than Brendan Donaghy collapsing down on the Cavan player last week?

There's no doubt what McCann did was wrong and he should be punished but I think it's the usual outrage and hysteria because it is Tyrone involved.

Personally, I don't know what he was at - only Mc Cann himself knows what his intention.  I think he was frustrated but it doesn't look good  This'll will be an issue for a few days.  He'll get a suspension and life will go on until a similar typeincident happens.

Re; the above incidents - I agree. They are of a similar standing and have no place in the GAA.  Until the GAA commit to stricter suspensions etc. then they will continue to happen.  In tandem, counties just appeal and appeal.  There should be just 1 committe, like other sports, where the incident gets looked at and a panel of 3 decide the punishment and that's it dealt with.

There seems to be an issue in the Gaa where it's a terrible thing if a player misses an opportunity to play in an All Ireland Final.  Pure waffle, if he misses it through a discliplinary issue, so be it - tough sh*t.

My point is why does this all happen under Mickey Harte's watch.  I just don't understand it.  I thought he'd have none of this carry on in his teams but not so.

dublin7

Watching the game on tv you would hope that will be Tiernan McCann's last game this summer. To stamp on someone like he did is s**t housery of the highest order. Delighted to see him go off injured. Karma is a bitch!!

All the years that Tyrone played with 13/14 men behind the ball means their defenders have no experience in man on man defending. Tyrone were all over the place defensively. Donegal the better team and well worth the win

Very nasty incident and no excuse. I'm sure he's ashamed of himself afterwards and the media attention that it will get will not be nice for him or his family to deal with but there is no place on a football field for that type of act. Harte has stood by him in the past for a different type of high profile incident but he really let his manager and teammates down today. I think for his own good and for the good of his team Harte should drop him from the panel for this year. He's an important player to them but discipline in a team is very important and a precedent and example should be shown to the panel. I'm sure he's a good lad but some standards need to be set within a panel and there's some lines when crossed cannot be excused with a "rush of blood to the head". And regardless of the white heat of battle there must be some modicum of respect to opposition players. Thankfully no real damage done to Donegal lad but these type of incidents getting too common.
I don't get his importance? I understand why a team would want to have Diarmuid Connolly and the bit of madness that goes with him. McCann ???? Not worth the trouble. 

His worth has been reduced by the change to man marking. He came to prominence with the ultra blanket defence where he was protected by the swarm and had the speed to break on the counter. This was aided by the opposition backing off into a defensive formation.

His exposure began with Dublin games when man marking was important and he had to rely on his own ability and skill with little or no cover. Yesterday, he was exposed again, just watch the lead up to the incident and see his level of frustration unable to handle speed and evasion of the Donegal player. Then when the swarm put the man down, savage instincts took over.

You have to wonder what type of sportsman engages in the repugnant behaviour that all observed when the victim had done nothing other than embarrass his opponent's lack of skill, speed and agility. No level of frustration could begin to justify the actions.

Will the GAA virtually condone this behaviour with the application of a single match ban when it was nothing less than common assault?

I find it ironic that Mickey Harte, who does sterling work in schools etc.   in regards to moral issues, has always 'allowed' Tyrone players to do things like Mc Cann's carry on yesterday - it goes back further with loads of examples.  Yet, he does nothing about them for all the moral preaching elsewhere.

You think he'd say to his players, like he does in schools and youth organisations, where he talks excellently about good values, to cut out these serious nasty elements of Tyrone's games. 

Every player in a team can see the red mist at different times but this incident was beyond crazy.  Mc Cann will obviously take serious stick for this and rightly so, but he has form re 'hairgate' but Mickey needs to say to hid panel, cut out the bad press for their panel.

Worse than the Carlow player that struck the Meath player 3 or 4 times a couple of weeks back?

There's no doubt what McCann did was wrong and he should be punished but I think it's the usual outrage and hysteria because it is Tyrone involved.
Typical GAA BS. Defend the indefisible it its one of your own. No doubt solicitors will be studying the rule book to find a rechnicality to get McCann's proposed suspension overturned.

Angelo

Quote from: dublin7 on June 09, 2019, 11:56:51 AM

Typical GAA BS. Defend the indefisible it its one of your own. No doubt solicitors will be studying the rule book to find a rechnicality to get McCann's proposed suspension overturned.

How is it bullshit.

Precedent will determine the punishment, it should be a harsher suspension but it's not going to be as for similar incidents the GAA have issued 1 game bans (or no action at all!). I have no problem conceding what McCann did was wrong, trampish and has no place on a GAA pitch, no problem at all. It's right there in black and white for you.

Now do you care to comment on these two photos below.

Or does your outrage disappear for internal affairs?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

High Fielder

I think Mickey does be saying the auld Rosary when Plan B is being discussed. McCann has always been a bit hot. He lost his cool and he'll get punished. It happens. Admittedly, the GAA probably don't deal with this stuff as well as they should. But no surprise there. Good Donegal performance. Michael Murphy an absolute pleasure to watch playing the game

HiMucker

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 09, 2019, 09:20:29 AM
On McCann incident... defo did not kick on head that was was down to mchugh pushing mccann.
Not sure what his hands were doin around the face shouldnt been there but it was not an eye gouge and was not a fish hook...his fingers were closed. Hands shouldnt have been up there tho it happened very fast.

Brolly rabbitting on about the brendan rodgers incident again which was clearly accidental. And how is anyone gonna rip out a man's teeth and gums with his fingers I'll never know :) Coming out with shite like that boy is gonna get what is coming to him is dangerous talk. O, Rouke and his manliness  ::)
CCcc will spring to action now tho since the tail has wagged it.
FFS ::) Delusional or what. Catch a grip. Fair play to most of the trying supporters on here who seen it for what it clearly was, disgraceful behaviour.

trailer

RE: McCann incident. Mickey Harte has form in sending teams out to play like this, going back to his days of managing Errigal Ciaran. I wouldn't be surprised if he sent McCann out with specific instructions to do what he did.
There can be no excuse for those actions and I can't fathom why anyone would try to defend them.

straightred

There are 2 offences to be ruled on. Tyrone might be able to cite precedent for the gouging but that still leaves the stamp (and yes it was a stamp). I saw Harte's BBC interview and he was right to do a Wenger on it. If he hadn't seen the replay then there's no sense in jumping to his defence or condeming him. However you'd hope that when he does see it that he accepts whatever punishment he gets

Angelo

Quote from: straightred on June 09, 2019, 12:18:40 PM
There are 2 offences to be ruled on. Tyrone might be able to cite precedent for the gouging but that still leaves the stamp (and yes it was a stamp). I saw Harte's BBC interview and he was right to do a Wenger on it. If he hadn't seen the replay then there's no sense in jumping to his defence or condeming him. However you'd hope that when he does see it that he accepts whatever punishment he gets

The stamp is very inconclusive and hard to prove. You can make assumptions but you can't rule it was deliberate or not and it certainly doesn't help when Ryan McHugh cames in right away and always drags his studs across his teammate.

The fish hook actions will absolutely result in a ban and rightly so.

Angelo

Quote from: Angelo on June 09, 2019, 12:08:17 PM

How is it bullshit.

Precedent will determine the punishment, it should be a harsher suspension but it's not going to be as for similar incidents the GAA have issued 1 game bans (or no action at all!). I have no problem conceding what McCann did was wrong, trampish and has no place on a GAA pitch, no problem at all. It's right there in black and white for you.

If anybody spots Dublin7 can they ask him what he thought of the above incidents as like the rest of us he was outraged at what McCann did yesterday.

trileacman

Quote from: Angelo on June 09, 2019, 12:28:42 PM

How is it bullshit.

If anybody spots Dublin7 can they ask him what he thought of the above incidents as like the rest of us he was outraged at what McCann did yesterday.

What was the ban for those 2 incidents?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

J70

Quote from: trailer on June 09, 2019, 12:15:05 PM
RE: McCann incident. Mickey Harte has form in sending teams out to play like this, going back to his days of managing Errigal Ciaran. I wouldn't be surprised if he sent McCann out with specific instructions to do what he did.
There can be no excuse for those actions and I can't fathom why anyone would try to defend them.

I seriously doubt Harte sent him out with specific instructions to do that!

I think the likes of Angelo are right. McCann is an idiot who did a trampish act and will have to live with more damage to his reputation, not great to begin with, but the GAA has a track record of being softer on this type of stuff than they should.

Angelo

Quote from: trileacman on June 09, 2019, 12:30:06 PM
Quote from: Angelo on June 09, 2019, 12:28:42 PM

Very nasty incident and no excuse. I'm sure he's ashamed of himself afterwards and the media attention that it will get will not be nice for him or his family to deal with but there is no place on a football field for that type of act. Harte has stood by him in the past for a different type of high profile incident but he really let his manager and teammates down today. I think for his own good and for the good of his team Harte should drop him from the panel for this year. He's an important player to them but discipline in a team is very important and a precedent and example should be shown to the panel. I'm sure he's a good lad but some standards need to be set within a panel and there's some lines when crossed cannot be excused with a "rush of blood to the head". And regardless of the white heat of battle there must be some modicum of respect to opposition players. Thankfully no real damage done to Done

gal lad but these type of incidents getting too common.

How is it bullshit.

What was the ban for those 2 incidents?

1 game for McMahon.

Nothing for O'Gara. In fact the O'Gara one unfolded on the actual live feed of the game and was replayed but it was just glossed over even though it was clear as day what happened. It wasn't even discussed in the subsequent post match commentary.

Think it may have been the 2017 final one where O'Gara did it.

BennyCake

Oisin McConville agreed yesterday that Mickey Harte should, and will, condemn McCann's antics. I thought to myself, don't count on it.

Have we ever seen Harte publicly speak out on his teams antics?