2019 USFC SF Dún na nGall vs Tír Eoghain, Breffni, Saturday 8th June @5pm

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, May 26, 2019, 09:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: oakleaf93 on June 09, 2019, 09:29:44 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on June 09, 2019, 09:20:29 AM
On McCann incident... defo did not kick on head that was was down to mchugh pushing mccann.
Not sure what his hands were doin around the face shouldnt been there but it was not an eye gouge and was not a fish hook...his fingers were closed. Hands shouldnt have been up there tho it happened very fast.

Brolly rabbitting on about the brendan rodgers incident again which was clearly accidental. And how is anyone gonna rip out a man's teeth and gums with his fingers I'll never know :) Coming out with shite like that boy is gonna get what is coming to him is dangerous talk. O, Rouke and his manliness  ::)
CCcc will spring to action now tho since the tail has wagged it.
Attempting to defend or deflect from what McCann did yesterday is poor form

The holier than thou brigade out in full force today. Quick to jump down the throat of anyone not prepared to send McCann to the gallows. EVERY Tyrone poster has condemned McCann but it is reasonable to argue that he may have not intended his stamp (slow motion can often be misleading) and it is reasonable to argue that he put his fingers in the other players mouth rather than the narrative which has circulated on social media, that it was an eye gouge and it's also reasonable to argue that, just maybe, he shouldn't be banned from the GAA for the rest of his life. Yes it was a stupid, despicable act for which I hope he gets banned, but any sort of argument to the contrary of stringing him up for a public execution is not just poor form.
That was never a square ball!!

oakleaf93

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 09, 2019, 09:40:31 AM
On McCann incident... defo did not kick on head that was was down to mchugh pushing mccann.
Not sure what his hands were doin around the face shouldnt been there but it was not an eye gouge and was not a fish hook...his fingers were closed. Hands shouldnt have been up there tho it happened very fast.

Brolly rabbitting on about the brendan rodgers incident again which was clearly accidental. And how is anyone gonna rip out a man's teeth and gums with his fingers I'll never know :) Coming out with shite like that boy is gonna get what is coming to him is dangerous talk. O, Rouke and his manliness  ::)

The holier than thou brigade out in full force today. Quick to jump down the throat of anyone not prepared to send McCann to the gallows. EVERY Tyrone poster has condemned McCann but it is reasonable to argue that he may have not intended his stamp (slow motion can often be misleading) and it is reasonable to argue that he put his fingers in the other players mouth rather than the narrative which has circulated on social media, that it was an eye gouge and it's also reasonable to argue that, just maybe, he shouldn't be banned from the GAA for the rest of his life. Yes it was a stupid, despicable act for which I hope he gets banned, but any sort of argument to the contrary of stringing him up for a public execution is not just poor form.
The previous poster in no way condemned McCann and went as far to insinuate the CCCC would open a case on McCann because of the Sunday game analysts alone.

Owen Brannigan

Not surprising but also virtually a lone voice among Tyrone posters able to recognise and accept the sheer savagery of the actions.

Not just Brolly condemning it:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/gaelic-games/48570866

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1137406054155862016/pu/pl/puI_YKLe3Mc4B7xM.m3u8?tag=10

trueblue1234

Quote from: oakleaf93 on June 09, 2019, 09:44:08 AM

The previous poster in no way condemned McCann and went as far to insinuate the CCCC would open a case on McCann because of the Sunday game analysts alone.

Well they have form there to be fair. And made a pigs ear of it. Which is why he'll rightly get a one game ban (Although it should deserve more, same as previous incidents)
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Tony Baloney

Hands in mouth, no stamp (more of a stumble). The guy seems to be a bit of an idiot but I would hope he wouldn't be stamping on a fellow player.

rrhf

Tyrone were awful yesterday and fair play to Donegal. I felt donegal were streetwise as hell and tyrone entered that game either with a dressing room problem or something else..late changes discipline etc had all the hallmarks of a non focussed camp...When reactions to the cynical Donegal performance go to these places,,, and a Potentially sickening subsequent off the ball incident that may have left Mc Cann badly injured..then it is time to take a step back and evaluate where we are going.. Not worth that and something you would not want to see in our games from Both teams....It's indefensible and I haven't seen the incident yet where it's suggested his Achilles could have been targetted in an off the ball incident then he's already suffering and his career could be over...

Hound

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 09, 2019, 10:30:38 AM
Hands in mouth, no stamp (more of a stumble). The guy seems to be a bit of an idiot but I would hope he wouldn't be stamping on a fellow player.
Yeah, I'd definitely give him the benefit of the doubt re the stamp. Sure McHugh kicked him and then stamped on him too! I think we can put all that down to accidents!

It's  the hand on the face where the issue is. The camera clearly caught two fingers in the mouth. But McMenamin seemed to be claiming a finger in the eye was the more serious incident. His left pinky may well have gone in the eye, but camera angle didn't really catch that. Either way the fish-hooping warrants a ban.

Angelo

Quote from: oakleaf93 on June 09, 2019, 09:44:08 AM

He'll get a ban and it will be deserved. It should be longer than the 1 game ban he will get but the GAA have no grounds to issue a longer ban given the precedent of similar incidents in recent years (Philly McMahon and Donie Smith are two that come to mind). It was a sneaky act, the kind that is impossible for a referee or assistant to see in real time which generally means you get away with that type of action.

To be honest, people seem to get very outraged about things like biting, spitting, gouging but they are probably lesser crimes (not eye gouging which is very, very dangerous) than being boxed in the face or getting headbutted which never seems to get anywhere near the outrage. If you gave me the choice of being on the end of a biting, spitting or fish hooking offence or being boxed in the face I know which one carries the least severe consequences. That's not a defence of McCann either, it's just a comment on why old school violence in GAA seems to be much more tolerated.

It is time the GAA get serious on these violent incidents, every team has players that go over the top, some do it on a more consistent basis. The Championship will generally last a max of 10 games for most team, likely 7/8 for a team that comes through their province. The league lasts 7/8 games dependent of whether a team makes a final. If McCann were to get a 5 game ban for what he did yesterday, there is a very good chance that is his summer over. It would soon deter lads from doing that type of thing. As long as the punishment is so weak on these incidents, there is no deterrent to stop players from doing it.

Competitive sport draws people to do whatever they have to by all means necessary. But the GAA is particularly bad at stamping down on violent behaviour, token bans - many of which are overturned on appeal. The GAA appeals culture is a joke, I see Paul Mannion got off on his one recently when it looked a fairly clear cut red card while Caolan Mooney had his upheld when it seemed much less of a red card.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

RedHand88

Quote from: Hound on June 09, 2019, 10:39:24 AM
Yeah, I'd definitely give him the benefit of the doubt re the stamp. Sure McHugh kicked him and then stamped on him too! I think we can put all that down to accidents!

It's  the hand on the face where the issue is. The camera clearly caught two fingers in the mouth. But McMenamin seemed to be claiming a finger in the eye was the more serious incident. His left pinky may well have gone in the eye, but camera angle didn't really catch that. Either way the fish-hooping warrants a ban.

The most sensible post I've read on this, you've pretty much got it spot on. Wasn't a stamp, didn't look like an eye gouge. But hand in mouth will warrant a ban. How much remains to be seen, someone who knows the codebook would be better placed to say.
People calling for a 6 month/1 year/2 year ban are just daft.

Angelo

Quote from: RedHand88 on June 09, 2019, 10:47:30 AM

Bans should be done in terms of games in any case but a 1 game ban for a sneaky act like that is no deterrent. I can't ever recall a player being sent off for gouging/fish hooking, it's almost impossible for a referee to spot and eye gouging in particular can have potentially serious consequences.

They can't do anything more than give McCann a one game ban now but the disciplinary sanctions they GAA can impose of acts like this and other violent offences need to be badly looked at once the season is over.

tonto1888

I'm not sure the stamp was deliberate having viewed it a couple times. Looked like he was stumbling about. Don't know what he was doing putting his fingers in your mans mouth but it didn't look good.
I don't think it's clear if he was deliberately targeted when he got hurt. Unless someone has got a close up of it?

dublin7

The most sensible post I've read on this, you've pretty much got it spot on. Wasn't a stamp, didn't look like an eye gouge. But hand in mouth will warrant a ban. How much remains to be seen, someone who knows the codebook would be better placed to say.

Anyone can miss time a tackle, however there's nothing accidental when a player decides to play dentist and tries to pull a lads gum shield out of his mouth.Should be suspended for the summer.
It's comical some of the defenders for McCann on here. To somehow suggest  Brolly/The Sunday Game are settting up McCann and forcing CCCC to suspend a poor innocent man is so ridiculous it's actually funny

Angelo

Quote from: dublin7 on June 09, 2019, 11:21:11 AM

Anyone can miss time a tackle, however there's nothing accidental when a player decides to play dentist and tries to pull a lads gum shield out of his mouth.Should be suspended for the summer.
It's comical some of the defenders for McCann on here. To somehow suggest  Brolly/The Sunday Game are settting up McCann and forcing CCCC to suspend a poor innocent man is so ridiculous it's actually funny

He should be but the rules don't say he should.

I'm sure you were every bit as vocal when Philly McMahon tried to play optician with Kieran Donaghy's eye?

marty34

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 09, 2019, 08:36:02 AM
Quote from: moysider on June 09, 2019, 01:24:17 AM
Quote from: Look-Up! on June 09, 2019, 12:24:09 AM
Quote from: dublin7 on June 08, 2019, 11:36:08 PM
Watching the game on tv you would hope that will be Tiernan McCann's last game this summer. To stamp on someone like he did is s**t housery of the highest order. Delighted to see him go off injured. Karma is a bitch!!

All the years that Tyrone played with 13/14 men behind the ball means their defenders have no experience in man on man defending. Tyrone were all over the place defensively. Donegal the better team and well worth the win

Very nasty incident and no excuse. I'm sure he's ashamed of himself afterwards and the media attention that it will get will not be nice for him or his family to deal with but there is no place on a football field for that type of act. Harte has stood by him in the past for a different type of high profile incident but he really let his manager and teammates down today. I think for his own good and for the good of his team Harte should drop him from the panel for this year. He's an important player to them but discipline in a team is very important and a precedent and example should be shown to the panel. I'm sure he's a good lad but some standards need to be set within a panel and there's some lines when crossed cannot be excused with a "rush of blood to the head". And regardless of the white heat of battle there must be some modicum of respect to opposition players. Thankfully no real damage done to Donegal lad but these type of incidents getting too common.
I don't get his importance? I understand why a team would want to have Diarmuid Connolly and the bit of madness that goes with him. McCann ???? Not worth the trouble. 

His worth has been reduced by the change to man marking. He came to prominence with the ultra blanket defence where he was protected by the swarm and had the speed to break on the counter. This was aided by the opposition backing off into a defensive formation.

His exposure began with Dublin games when man marking was important and he had to rely on his own ability and skill with little or no cover. Yesterday, he was exposed again, just watch the lead up to the incident and see his level of frustration unable to handle speed and evasion of the Donegal player. Then when the swarm put the man down, savage instincts took over.

You have to wonder what type of sportsman engages in the repugnant behaviour that all observed when the victim had done nothing other than embarrass his opponent's lack of skill, speed and agility. No level of frustration could begin to justify the actions.

What will be the manager's reaction and how public will it be?

Will the GAA virtually condone this behaviour with the application of a single match ban when it was nothing less than common assault?

A test for manager and authorities that neither can afford to fail.

Sad to see football stooping so low.

I find it ironic that Mickey Harte, who does sterling work in schools etc.   in regards to moral issues, has always 'allowed' Tyrone players to do things like Mc Cann's carry on yesterday - it goes back further with loads of examples.  Yet, he does nothing about them for all the moral preaching elsewhere.

You think he'd say to his players, like he does in schools and youth organisations, where he talks excellently about good values, to cut out these serious nasty elements of Tyrone's games. 

Every player in a team can see the red mist at different times but this incident was beyond crazy.  Mc Cann will obviously take serious stick for this and rightly so, but he has form re 'hairgate' but Mickey needs to say to hid panel, cut out the bad press for their panel.

Angelo

Quote from: marty34 on June 09, 2019, 11:26:13 AM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 09, 2019, 08:36:02 AM
Quote from: moysider on June 09, 2019, 01:24:17 AM
Quote from: Look-Up! on June 09, 2019, 12:24:09 AM
Quote from: dublin7 on June 08, 2019, 11:36:08 PM
Watching the game on tv you would hope that will be Tiernan McCann's last game this summer. To stamp on someone like he did is s**t housery of the highest order. Delighted to see him go off injured. Karma is a bitch!!

All the years that Tyrone played with 13/14 men behind the ball means their defenders have no experience in man on man defending. Tyrone were all over the place defensively. Donegal the better team and well worth the win

Very nasty incident and no excuse. I'm sure he's ashamed of himself afterwards and the media attention that it will get will not be nice for him or his family to deal with but there is no place on a football field for that type of act. Harte has stood by him in the past for a different type of high profile incident but he really let his manager and teammates down today. I think for his own good and for the good of his team Harte should drop him from the panel for this year. He's an important player to them but discipline in a team is very important and a precedent and example should be shown to the panel. I'm sure he's a good lad but some standards need to be set within a panel and there's some lines when crossed cannot be excused with a "rush of blood to the head". And regardless of the white heat of battle there must be some modicum of respect to opposition players. Thankfully no real damage done to Donegal lad but these type of incidents getting too common.
I don't get his importance? I understand why a team would want to have Diarmuid Connolly and the bit of madness that goes with him. McCann ???? Not worth the trouble. 

His worth has been reduced by the change to man marking. He came to prominence with the ultra blanket defence where he was protected by the swarm and had the speed to break on the counter. This was aided by the opposition backing off into a defensive formation.

His exposure began with Dublin games when man marking was important and he had to rely on his own ability and skill with little or no cover. Yesterday, he was exposed again, just watch the lead up to the incident and see his level of frustration unable to handle speed and evasion of the Donegal player. Then when the swarm put the man down, savage instincts took over.

You have to wonder what type of sportsman engages in the repugnant behaviour that all observed when the victim had done nothing other than embarrass his opponent's lack of skill, speed and agility. No level of frustration could begin to justify the actions.

What will be the manager's reaction and how public will it be?

Will the GAA virtually condone this behaviour with the application of a single match ban when it was nothing less than common assault?

A test for manager and authorities that neither can afford to fail.

Sad to see football stooping so low.

I find it ironic that Mickey Harte, who does sterling work in schools etc.   in regards to moral issues, has always 'allowed' Tyrone players to do things like Mc Cann's carry on yesterday - it goes back further with loads of examples.  Yet, he does nothing about them for all the moral preaching elsewhere.

You think he'd say to his players, like he does in schools and youth organisations, where he talks excellently about good values, to cut out these serious nasty elements of Tyrone's games. 

Every player in a team can see the red mist at different times but this incident was beyond crazy.  Mc Cann will obviously take serious stick for this and rightly so, but he has form re 'hairgate' but Mickey needs to say to hid panel, cut out the bad press for their panel.

How bad was it in your opinion?

Worse than the Smith eye gouge on Higgins?
Worse than the Carlow player that struck the Meath player 3 or 4 times a couple of weeks back?
Worse than Brendan Donaghy collapsing down on the Cavan player last week?

There's no doubt what McCann did was wrong and he should be punished but I think it's the usual outrage and hysteria because it is Tyrone involved.