The Drop Kick

Started by Orior, April 15, 2020, 12:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Many many many years ago I remember being taught the drop kick by an uncle. Have these disappeared completely?

Can anyone remember seeing a drop kick in recent times, or have a video link?

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

RedHand88

Rossfan

Ahhh I well remember when the ball used to be kicked.....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

screenexile

Quote from: RedHand88 on April 15, 2020, 02:34:39 PM
Are they still legal?

Nothing against them. . . was OK to use when you're just trying to kick the ball as far as possible but it's not accurate.

Tohill used to fire in an odd dropkick back in the day it used to go a clean mile!

Taylor

There was a Down player that used to be super at them....was a joy to watch

Edit - Shorty Trainer

ardtole

Conor Deegan liked a drop kick too

angermanagement

Gary Mason was the master at the drop kick. Distance and accurate.

BennyCake

Yes, when I think drop kicks, Down come into my head.

shantygael

Did tohill not score a goal of a drop kick against down in 94 in celtic park. Not sure if it hit the cross bar  or not but it was a  screamer t,he auld memory wouldn't be great going that far back.😄
you've only had enough to drink when you cant hold onto the ground

balladmaker

Quote from: screenexile on April 15, 2020, 03:25:33 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on April 15, 2020, 02:34:39 PM
Are they still legal?

Nothing against them. . . was OK to use when you're just trying to kick the ball as far as possible but it's not accurate.

Tohill used to fire in an odd dropkick back in the day it used to go a clean mile!

Not accurate, you obviously never witnessed Armagh's Jim Tidsy McKerr drop kicking a ball!

theticklemister

Quote from: shantygael on April 15, 2020, 05:15:41 PM
Did tohill not score a goal of a drop kick against down in 94 in celtic park. Not sure if it hit the cross bar  or not but it was a  screamer t,he auld memory wouldn't be great going that far back.😄

Yeah lad he burst through the middle and should have scored a goal.

Hi how did you see, there was some crowd there and yet wile small hi!

theticklemister

Used to be an oul GAA coaching book released in late 80s or early 90s by the officialdom if I remember.

But two pages showed you the drop kick and different drills to use it and another two pages showed you how to kick the ball over your head with accompanying drills. Some Craic lol

theticklemister

Quote from: shantygael on April 15, 2020, 05:15:41 PM

Think Collins saved it

imtommygunn

Was this not something all the auld boys swore at you if you tried so you never tried it again?

I mind as a kid watching our seniors and we'd a boy in corner forward who kept trying drop kicks and they would never ever come off lol.

marty34

A drop kick is a better ball to catch - better trajectory for high catching.